On Shenston Road. Some recent photos.

Swindon 123

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Close up of the experimental X-brace bogie.

attachicon.gifExperimental X brace bogies fitted to Gulf TEA 82015.jpg

That just about covers Greg's fleet of oil tanks. He has been busy hill walking over his Peak fleet. So I'd better get out with the camera and capture them. Until then.

Paul J.

What a strange looking bogie. I wonder how many tanks were fitted with them?

I'm guessing but I suppose it was developed at the time in an effort to reduce track forces.

What a strange looking bogie. I wonder how many tanks were fitted with them?

I'm guessing but I suppose it was developed at the time in an effort to reduce track forces.

That was the only time I saw that particular wagon and bogie. I never saw that type of bogie on any other wagon either.

Paul J.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cracking stuff and excellent photos

Nice to see D163 with its non standard small yellow panels - IIRC that went through at least two versions on that loco...

Kind regards

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• 2 weeks later...

Had a chance to take some photos last week in the sunshine up at the steel works exchange sidings last week, including some of "Western Sentinel" without the bent cab front handrails. Greg is working on some more Warships at the moment so it looks like some more additions to the fleet to be photographed in the near future.

Back to the photos,

D1054 "Western Governor" waiting to depart with a train of coil.

attachicon.gifD 1054 in the exchange sidings at the steelworks Shenston Road..jpg

Side on view of D1054.

attachicon.gifD 1054, 'Western Governor', the steelworks shenston Road..jpg

1720 arrives with a train at the steelworks

attachicon.gif1720 arrives with a train at the steelworks, Shenston Road..jpg

Cab view of 1720.

attachicon.gif1720 in close up..jpg

Class 40 D218 in the exchange sidings.

attachicon.gifD218 arrives with train at the steelworks, Shenston Road..jpg

Moving forward a few years finds newly renumbered 03128 in gainful employment.

attachicon.gif03128 in steel works use..jpg

One of the steelworks shunters on the hunt for wagons.

attachicon.gifOne of the steelworks shunters, Shenston Road..jpg

One wagon, Strip coil B949004, not found by the shunter yet.

attachicon.gifStip coil B949004..jpg

Finally to bring this selection to a close, another Western in the form of D1022 "Western Sentinel".

D 1022 'Western Sentinel' and steel train in the exchange sidings.

attachicon.gifD 1022 'Western Sentinel' and steel train in the exchange sidings..jpg

D1022's traincrew in relaxed mood before the next working.

attachicon.gifD 1022 in close up..jpg

That's all for this session. More Warships to come I hope.

Paul J.

Edited to correct silly spelling mistake on "Western Sewntinel"

D1022 was my last Western, copped at Reading on the same day as my last Hoover 50022

Just to let followers of this thread know that my latest batch of Photos for the thread have been hijacked by Wibble, (They had been subcontracted out for a bit of photo-shopping out the background), and can be found towards the bottom of the page at this link.  http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb121.html

Normal photographic service will resume as soon as possible.

Paul J.

• Like 4

Just to let followers of this thread know that my latest batch of Photos for the thread have been hijacked by Wibble, (They had been subcontracted out for a bit of photo-shopping out the background), and can be found towards the bottom of the page at this link.  http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb121.html

Paul J.

wow great photos look so real with the added in sky .

Paul J.

Guilty as charged  :O  Nice pics though Paul, all the better for some slight enhancements.

That's not cheating is it?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been just over a month since my last batch of photos, so it's about time I brought you up to date with the latest sightings on Shenston Road.

The recent release of the Hornby class 71 has resulted in a sighting of one of the beasts on Shenston Road, en-route from Crewe. Fortunately photos of the occasion where captured for posterity and are posted below.

Rarity in these parts, Slim Jim 6596 hauling E5004.

post-7146-0-61107800-1469803475_thumb.jpg

E5004 dumped on Shenston road stabling point. 6596 required for a rescue mission.

post-7146-0-81631600-1469803484_thumb.jpg

A lucky spotters view of E5004 from the adjacent road in among the Westerns and the Peaks. In the background 6596 is heading off to assist the failed train.

post-7146-0-78696100-1469803494_thumb.jpg

As the model goes Greg is impressed with it, although it is no longer powered, the gear train being de-meshed. The wheels are the Hornby originals, opened out with the flanges turned down, which happily run on Shenston Roads trackwork. E5004 was one of the class, not many of which, Greg saw, hence the model.

More photos are in preparation for posting. The Warship fleet has been expanding along with the 40's, so Hydraulics are bound to feature sometime soon.

Paul J.

(Edited to add new information.)

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 18

Hi Paul

The reason E5004 was left on the stabling point was one of the cross country services had suffered a loco failure up line and 6596 was the only loco immediately available to assist in clearing the line. :jester:

Ian

Hi Paul

The reason E5004 was left on the stabling point was one of the cross country services had suffered a loco failure up line and 6596 was the only loco immediately available to assist in clearing the line. :jester:

Ian

Thank you Ian for enlightening me. I shall amend the captions accordingly. :secret:

Paul J.

• 2 weeks later...

D6328 with "new loco" reminds of one day way back in 1967 when whilst waiting at Sandy Lane Crossing, Yarnton an Army 0-6-0 presumably from Kineton en.route to Bicester trundled past light engine and BR brake van under its own power. Apparently the loco towing it had failed by Banbury with the 0-6-0 doing most of the work, so it carried on under its own steam....so to speak. I can't imagine that happening today!

• Like 3

D6328 with "new loco" reminds of one day way back in 1967 when whilst waiting at Sandy Lane Crossing, Yarnton an Army 0-6-0 presumably from Kineton en.route to Bicester trundled past light engine and BR brake van under its own power. Apparently the loco towing it had failed by Banbury with the 0-6-0 doing most of the work, so it carried on under its own steam....so to speak. I can't imagine that happening today!

People were allowed to use common sense and judgement back then...............................unlike now :(

• Like 1

New Sentinal shunters where allowed to run on their own from the Shrewsbury factory to destinations in South Wales, and possibly other locations as well. BR drivers piloted Sentinal drivers over BR lines, a few Hereford drivers I worked with remembered conducting them, and a photo exists of one in Hereford station heading south, and can be found here.  https://flic.kr/p/6GHRTU

Paul J.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

People were allowed to use common sense and judgement back then...............................unlike now :(

Perhaps more importantly, people took responsibility for their own actions too; again unlike now :(

Edited by leopardml2341