HO Monon inspired layout

Having given a talk at the WRMS earlier this year based upon what to do with all the stock modellers tend to accumulate having been spurred into action to build a layout. Although part of the Menasha team never built a US based layout before. Using a modified paste table as a base and idea to try and keep as light as possible as limited space at home.

Points to be operated manually so lower depth to baseboards and looking at using detachable fiddle yards.

Aim to create an industrial / town inspired plan that gives switching opportunities.

So far have created the base and laying up track at full scale to test out ideas as wife I away for a few days so can acquire the kitchen away from the rain.

post-9435-0-83526200-1401091014_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-36277500-1401091037_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good.

For the benefit of others could you run through the modifications to the paste table. Have you changed the plywood on the top?

The Monon is reasonably well documented and had an interesting selection of locomotives.

Removed the hardboard top, replaced hammer gun staples with screws to strength joints. 9mm plywood top with 50 mm soft wood frames just using what can be bought in DIY shops so that might come to bite me later. Beefed up legs with inserting square timber into legs screwed and glued. Cannot do on other side as there are clearance issues. Want to retain the ability of the base to folded up and secured as if paste table. Used off cut of plywood with square timber to create tray. This fits across the two legs so that legs cannot move out or inwards.

Have not yet decided how to secure the baseboards to the paste table bottom. Might go simple suitcase catches as a first thought.

Thanks for the interest

I'm assuming you are not planning to exhibit this - the reason for asking is not a criticsm, but very many hall/room floors are not level - and I'm not sure how you could add adjustable feet with the triangular leg formation - I normally use tee nuts in the bottom of the legs and 40mm M6 bolts - if the boards won't level, trying to leave stock in spurs can be very difficult

Ex

I'm assuming you are not planning to exhibit this - the reason for asking is not a criticsm, but very many hall/room floors are not level - and I'm not sure how you could add adjustable feet with the triangular leg formation - I normally use tee nuts in the bottom of the legs and 40mm M6 bolts - if the boards won't level, trying to leave stock in spurs can be very difficult

Exhibiting is of secondary importance but number 3 daughters boyfriend is an engineering student so might prove to be an interesting problem for him to solve

• Like 1

Ex

Exhibiting is of secondary importance but number 3 daughters boyfriend is an engineering student so might prove to be an interesting problem for him to solve

I'm sure a solution will present itself to him the next time he's studying.....

Beermats.

I'm sure a solution will present itself to him the next time he's studying.....

Beermats.

...... but that is more things to remember to take with you - I like to have a solution that is attached to the baseboard if possible!

My solution would be something like this, cut from a piece of ply and attached to the bottom of each leg

http://www.technologystudent.com/cams/snail1.htm

Edited by shortliner

Very neat, Jack.

You could also use the powered version to model earthquakes.................. :drag:

Look forward to seeing more on the Monon layout. Interesting part of the country too.

Best, Pete.

Day spent yesterday on club layout but up early to meet a rainy day so a few hours tweaking the plan. Size determined by the layout fitting in the dinning room so can run trains . Tweaked the design so now a mill and a grocery warehouse replaces the bakery and an additional siding off the team track to act as head shunt car storage. Order placed with Model Junction for points and track and additional building kits.

post-9435-0-24634200-1401263916_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting conversation with wife who "discovered" the Monon baseboards in the garage after her return from a short break to Wales.

Notification that track and points are on the way from Model Junction so could be moving on with layout at the weekend

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to use an existing mill building but intend to reduce the height by one storey to make the structure less dominating on the proposed layout and to reduce the height when the boards are in storage. It will also make the building less like as bought

post-9435-0-28178700-1402757530_thumb.jpg