HO Monon inspired layout

Incidentally was surprised on how few vehicles there seems to be for a layout in the mid 60s, will have to look carefully at when changeover from late 50s stuff occurred

For trucks there are a few options that Athearn have produced

Ford C Series (1957-90)

Ford F850 (1968 but see this link regarding Fords F series generally http://railroadmodeling.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=5835) 

Mack R series (1966 on)

Hope this helps

Nick

For trucks there are a few options that Athearn have produced

Ford C Series (1957-90)

Ford F850 (1968 but see this link regarding Fords F series generally http://railroadmodeling.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=5835)

Mack R series (1966 on)

Hope this helps

Thanks for the information. Looking at the cars it seemed to be time when the body shape, hood or headlight clusters seemed to change every year so dating the models quite easily. The Mack trucks seem to gave kept their body shape over a period of time so will check the Walthers site and have a go at building some different bodies.

Edited by enginelane

You are quite right, American cars changed each model year in the fifties and sixties.

You could check out the Spanish Eko range, they did some quite basic American cars of the sixties, a Ford Galaxy and Chevy El Camino leap to mind, they occasionally turn up on eBay, Walther's still list them.

Nick

I’ve only just realized today that “Monon” is a different line (and different part of the country) to the “Monongahela"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monon_Railroad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monongahela_Railway

D’oh! I thought Monon was just an abbreviation....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

I’ve only just realized today that “Monon” is a different line (and different part of the country) to the “Monongahela"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monon_Railroad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monongahela_Railway

D’oh! I thought Monon was just an abbreviation....

Best, Pete.

Walthers search engine does the same! When researching into US railroads for an autistic relation came across the Monon with its black and gold engines

Came across this truck cab in my spares box I must have picked up from somewhere. Not very good in identifying USA vehicles. Does any one recognise its make and approximate year please? It was with a very basic white metal flatbed chassis which was coarsely detailed and if the cab is in the right period I would rebuild out of evergreen strip

post-9435-0-50818500-1408513485_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-94648200-1408513493_thumb.jpg

Toying with the idea of having working switch stands and have bought one of the Rix products to try. Builds up fine using the instructions then goes into complete text mode with no pictures or diagrams in terms of fitting to points. Has anyone had experience in fitting to a Peco code 83 point?

post-9435-0-13005400-1408514352_thumb.jpg

Came back from Holiday to find daughter 2 had cleaned up the house including all railways bits and bobs and the base plate for the diner has gone missing so new baseplate made in 60 thou plastikard

Metallic steel and caboose red seem to sit well on the model

post-9435-0-01168600-1409043726_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Came across this truck cab in my spares box I must have picked up from somewhere. Not very good in identifying USA vehicles. Does any one recognise its make and approximate year please? It was with a very basic white metal flatbed chassis which was coarsely detailed and if the cab is in the right period I would rebuild out of evergreen strip

Opinion suggests it is a 1940s Chevorlet lorry so probably a bit too old for an urban layout but I suppose could look to making into a scrapped vehicle next to the garage.

Trucks do last much longer than cars so it's possible that a 20 year old tractor could still be working on short haul jobs or as a shunter. Have you checked out Sylvan Models, they do a wide variety of 50's & 60's trucks.  http://www.sylvanscalemodels.com/ Alternatively Matchbox did the GMC 72" tilt cab in 1.87 like this one http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/gmc/60s_brochure/page03.jpg

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

Trucks do last much longer than cars so it's possible that a 20 year old tractor could still be working on short haul jobs or as a shunter. Have you checked out Sylvan Models, they do a wide variety of 50's & 60's trucks.  http://www.sylvanscalemodels.com/ Alternatively Matchbox did the GMC 72" tilt cab in 1.87 like this one http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/gmc/60s_brochure/page03.jpg

Nick

Yes the Sylvan range do look very good and I am going to order the box van version for the warehouse scene. The Walthers site is currently showing quite a lot of the rest of the range not in stock but will check back later in the month

Back to work tomorrow but bad case of man flu this weekend so inbetween lemsips and paper hankies some work on the buildings.

Diner interior and main work completed. Roof needs cooking exhausts, air conditioning, wiring and signage and weathering to complete

post-9435-0-37143600-1409467946_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Add air conditioning trunking, cooking and toliet exhausts as well as filling in the numerous circular depressions around the edge if the roof with filler. Finally added filler to the front of the lobby in replacement to the missing part somewhere lost in Germany

post-9435-0-45817500-1409471347_thumb.jpg

Edited by enginelane
  • Like 1

Nice weather this afternoon so spent making brackets to mount the micro switches to activate and switch the points.

Micro switch requires two holes drilling, one through the side for the point activating rod and another in the top which runs up through the baseboard into the point tie bar.

Wires are soldered on to the tags and will be attached to the bus bars via chocolate block connectors, with green wire being connected to the wire coming off the frog

post-9435-0-00077500-1409492061_thumb.jpg

Nice weather this afternoon so spent making brackets to mount the micro switches to activate and switch the points.

Micro switch requires two holes drilling, one through the side for the point activating rod and another in the top which runs up through the baseboard into the point tie bar.

Wires are soldered on to the tags and will be attached to the bus bars via chocolate block connectors, with green wire being connected to the wire coming off the frog

Noticed the green wire should be attached onto the middle tag!

An earlier than expected start to first day back at work as wife decided to get up at 5am this morning so no point going back to sleep. Completed the weathering on the diner roof except for the final earth brown wash. Still undecided on the final name so no signage added at the moment.

post-9435-0-17605400-1409551652_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes the Sylvan range do look very good and I am going to order the box van version for the warehouse scene. The Walthers site is currently showing quite a lot of the rest of the range not in stock but will check back later in the month

There was a guy at a recent Hampsthwaite meeting selling a good selection of Sylvan kits.  I bought a Hudson Terraplane car which made up reasonably well.

If you don't want the Chevy truck it will fit very well onto Woodsville.

I'll swap you for a magazine :)

Oh, and why not call the diner - 'Ted's'?   They may serve a decent cuppa there................................. :angel:

Edited by 5050

There was a guy at a recent Hampsthwaite meeting selling a good selection of Sylvan kits.  I bought a Hudson Terraplane car which made up reasonably well.

If you don't want the Chevy truck it will fit very well onto Woodsville.

I'll swap you for a magazine :)

Oh, and why not call the diner - 'Ted's'?   They may serve a decent cuppa there................................. :angel:

Will get the truck sorted out

Teds- mmm!

Obviously not your time period, but thought you might find this interesting... was messing around the CSX Gateway site and found a reference to the Monon sub in an article on new business!

https://csxgateway-external.csx.com/cci/news/HomePageNews/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=747

Hi

Would be interested in seeing what it says but will not open for me

Hi

Would be interested in seeing what it says but will not open for me

A Chairman’s Award-winning project years in the making is coming to fruition in September. In June, CSX shipped the first train of iron ore concentrate for Magnetation, Inc. to Reynolds, Indiana. Within the next few weeks, CSX will begin transporting iron ore pellets for the company as well.

The Grand Rapids, Minn. based company produces high-quality iron ore concentrate used in blast furnace operations and integrated steel production.  

Once the concentrate is moved from Magnetation’s Minnesota  facility to Chicago via BNSF, CSX trains carry it to a recently constructed plant in Reynolds, Ind. With the density of inbound and outbound train movements, CSX made a commitment to improve the infrastructure on the Monon subdivision.

At the Reynolds facility, the concentrate is transformed into iron ore pellets, which CSX will then transport to steel production plants. In all, CSX will deliver about 3.5 million tons of concentrate per year to Reynolds — five to six trains per week — and move nearly the same amount of outgoing pellets. CSX will also deliver one train per week of limestone to Van Meter Trucking to be transloaded and trucked over to the Magnetation facility.

“This is the only pelletizing plant CSX serves,” said Carol Craig, Market Manager, Coal. “Winning this contract took years of hard work and cooperation among many departments, including Sales and Marketing, Service Design, Transportation, Coal Operations, Regional Design and other groups within CSX.”  

The Magnetation project was the recipient of a Chairman’s Award of Excellence in 2013. The team was honored for its successful efforts to “overcome competitive rail options and solve multiple challenges concerning interchange, equipment, power, in-plant switching and dumping.”