Bachmann FFA/FGA early container flats

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Bell containers would have come in to South Wales alright from Wexford or Waterford. I already have some for the FFA/FGAs when they arrive. They would have come into North Wales via Holyhead.

• RMweb Gold

A good model of the older 'smooth' 8ft tall boxes would be nice. But there's so many build variations of those I imagine it'd be tough to settle on just 1 to cover multiple operators.

http://www.knightwing.co.uk/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?cart_id=1485888342.129&product=OO-HO_Road_Transport_Kits&pid=139

Mike.

• Like 1

Think he said 'a good model'....

But those early containers in the Bachmann photo's look superb. I can see a lot of folk exchanging 'old' and 'new' style boxes to fit their era's though. Or just selling boxes so they can have empty flats given the detail.

• RMweb Gold

Think he said 'a good model'....

But those early containers in the Bachmann photo's look superb. I can see a lot of folk exchanging 'old' and 'new' style boxes to fit their era's though. Or just selling boxes so they can have empty flats given the detail.

Pardon me, so sorry.

He can scratchbuild the bl%%dy things then.

Mike.

Pardon me, so sorry.

He can scratchbuild the bl%%dy things then.

Mike.

He can do (or not do) whatever he likes.

My point was simply that the container model you linked to is not 'a good model' by any recent standard. It might well have been the only commercial one available, it might have some kind of a place as a basis for kitbashing, but in it's own right as a scale model it's pretty awful...

So, I might as well be the one to ask the usual question that gets raised at every stage of a model development.

"Are we there yet Dad?".

How long do you reckon from engineering samples presented by the manufacturer and the model being in the shops?

I think i might save up for the FGA twin pack but stick with modified Hornby FFA inners.

hide the inners with containers and run the FGAs without!

ISTR in the early 80's that there were situations where pairs of FGA's ran together without inners - in the 6014xx series - may have been vac piped too ..................

ISTR in the early 80's that there were situations where pairs of FGA's ran together without inners - in the 6014xx series - may have been vac piped too ..................

If you are thinking of the ones used in Scotland on passenger trains I think they were air braked but had a vacuum through pipe added and so always ran between the loco and coaches, it might have been a different wagon type though, I wasnt all that into wagons at the time.

If you are thinking of the ones used in Scotland on passenger trains I think they were air braked but had a vacuum through pipe added and so always ran between the loco and coaches, it might have been a different wagon type though, I wasnt all that into wagons at the time.

No those were the single FBB wagons - mine were definitely classic FGA(B)'s

See post #79 - backed up by EWD ............... definitely at Stratford and/or Barking

No those were the single FBB wagons - mine were definitely classic FGA(B)'s

See post #79 - backed up by EWD ............... definitely at Stratford and/or Barking

The single unit wagons were FJB. There had been a very few of these, which saw general service; then a second batch was built to work in mixed trains from Inverness to Thurso. Not only did these latter have a vac-pipe, but they also had a through steam pipe.

Please MR Bachmann, can we have these as a regular release every year, so we can at least spread the cost of these out? I keep looking at the cost, and think no, but then keep looking at the sample and think yes. If they do a batch every 6 months or so it would at least let us spread the costs out and would give Bachmann a better idea of the ratio of inners to outers to make, as I'm sure not everybody will be using 5 wagon rakes.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Well, it's 5 months since the last comment on this lovely subject and 3 years to the day since Mr. York first whetted our appetite.

The advice in February was "give it 12 months" but I have to ask, has there been any further sniff about progress?

Bob

Well, it's 5 months since the last comment on this lovely subject and 3 years to the day since Mr. York first whetted our appetite.

The advice in February was "give it 12 months" but I have to ask, has there been any further sniff about progress?

Bob

Take a look at page 1 under “Bachmann Press Day - July 2017”.