Bachmann FFA/FGA early container flats

Andy Y

The weight issue on these is easily rectified , do what all the American modal manufacturers do with 'skeletal' type freight wagons like these and make the frames out of cast metal  type material.

Bachmann already done this on their more modern container flat varieties anyway so this shouldn't be a problem.

They are doing the frames in cast metal. I handled a sample one at the weekend.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know what the RRP will be but according to Hatton's website, it would set you back £212.34 to create a single set of 5 (3 FFA and 2 FGA).

Considering they would run in very long rakes of 3 sets or longer you would be looking at £637 to create something of a reasonable length.

Lets hope that Wild Boar Fell revisits his plans from 2014 to produce them.

Makes Colin Craig's (currently unavailable) kits seem a bargain.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

That's the shame about the Bachmann announcements in their catalogues, they have photos of real stock and vague descriptions of what the models might feature but, no solid this will have X number of XXft containers in XXXXXXXX livery. If I knew this I would have placed an order. The plus side is I have loads of time to save up. In the meantime should I be buying C-Rail containers to replace the Bachmann unknown livery ones or just wait to see what Bachmann produce and hope the C-Rail Railfreight containers will still be available?

Makes Colin Craig's (currently unavailable) kits seem a bargain.

Mike.

Although if they are unavailable I'm not sure that they qualify as a bargain

Makes the triang / Hornby ones look a total bargain , and que some easy modelling to produce the end plates and buffers.

An excellent solution, they may not make ultra fine scale models but some relatively straightforward good old fashioned modelling can produce a very enjoyable set of flats.

Wow, just seen the price in REx modeller..... WBF, are you going to carry on with yours?!

Just a quick Google and the most expensive Bachmann fia pair came up at £40, I know prices are rising but the fga pair are more than doubling that.

The Dapol IDA's have shot up in price as well, similar type wagons and now at £37 per set.

I think the Dapol £37 is for a pair of vehicles. Bachmann's look as if they are £42 (ish) for a single inner and £84 (ish) for a pair of outers.

Similar type of wagon. Half the price.

What's that all about?

I think the Dapol £37 is for a pair of vehicles. Bachmann's look as if they are £42 (ish) for a single inner and £84 (ish) for a pair of outers.

Similar type of wagon. Half the price.

What's that all about?

Aah, but you get a couple of containers thrown in :O  :O  :O 

Dimensionally the Tri-ang model wasn't too bad. It was fairly straightforward to lower it slightly, add extra details and end buffers (if appropriate).

Think I wrote an article in Scale Models Trains about it many, many moons ago.

The Bachmann models look the business, but I'll be sticking with my Tri-ang Freightliner flats.

• Like 1

Dimensionally the Tri-ang model wasn't too bad. It was fairly straightforward to lower it slightly, add extra details and end buffers (if appropriate).

The Bachmann models look the business, but I'll be sticking with my Tri-ang Freightliner flats.

It was probably that article that inspired me to do my first upgrade; later, Mendip Models did a kit, which is still available from S-Kits (usual disclaimer)

• Like 1

Think I still have that article along with a few others of yours I've recently passed on  to my Godson.

Cheers Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE

• RMweb Gold

It was probably that article that inspired me to do my first upgrade; later, Mendip Models did a kit, which is still available from S-Kits (usual disclaimer)

If anyone's interested in going down the S-Kits route, here's my effort on my blog from last year:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/257/entry-17631-ffafga-container-flats-paint-and-decals/

Those Bachmann images do look very tasty. I'm not terribly surprised at the expense, given the complexity of the skeletal design compared

to some other container wagon types.

• Like 2

With the easy availability of the excellent C-Rail containers I'd wonder how much of a difference in price there would be if the flats were just offered on their own without containers. They could potentially pair up inside a single box perhaps and that could reduce costs elsewhere in the supply chain too

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking for strictly 1970s containers for my rake. Photographic material from that period on the web is scarce, although the working I'm interested in was photographed well in the mid 1980s. Specifically looking at the Danygraig-Stratford working that passed through Bristol mid evening, and its return the following morning. Without any information on what containers Bachmann will provide, I'm assuming it will be over a broad operational period, some liveries of which will certainly be later than the 70s. There are several candidates in the C-rail range which may suit (I recall seeing P&O and Bell containers for example). However going just from memory is a dangerous precedent. Is there any information on what time period the C-rail containers were used? They don't produce the original BR freighliner container which was certainly widespread mid 1970s. However private owner containers were becoming common in the mid-1970s.

A nice document here on BRs freightliner service

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/BRB_Freight1965.pdf

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking for strictly 1970s containers for my rake. Photographic material from that period on the web is scarce, although the working I'm interested in was photographed well in the mid 1980s. Specifically looking at the Danygraig-Stratford working that passed through Bristol mid evening, and its return the following morning. Without any information on what containers Bachmann will provide, I'm assuming it will be over a broad operational period, some liveries of which will certainly be later than the 70s. There are several candidates in the C-rail range which may suit (I recall seeing P&O and Bell containers for example). However going just from memory is a dangerous precedent. Is there any information on what time period the C-rail containers were used? They don't produce the original BR freighliner container which was certainly widespread mid 1970s. However private owner containers were becoming common in the mid-1970s.

A nice document here on BRs freightliner service

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/BRB_Freight1965.pdf

Neil

I'd like to know about the Bell containers as well as one or more of the pics in the books I mention in my blog shows them in 1980s trains. They're a striking design, so good for a bit of colour and variety.

CAST containers seem to show up in early 1980s rakes - I wonder when they became widespread?

CTI containers seem to be a given for any 1970s train, and you can make them from the C-Rail kits and decals.

I'd love to go back in time to the school trip to France we did in 1979, from Southampton Docks, with a decent digital camera.

• Like 1

For anyone interested in researching boxes, can I suggest having a dig through this subforum for inspiration, it'll take you to several useful threads: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/243-intermodalcontainers/

The Bachmann 20' dry box looks from the photo above to be a 'modern' style one with bevelled corrugations and no logo panels, that would be applicable (depending on livery) starting from the 80s to the end of the flat's life (and beyond) - but isn't going to be as useful for 60s/70s modellers (though no single container tooling would really be suitable to represent the whole span of these wagon's lives).

• Like 1

I'd like to know about the Bell containers as well as one or more of the pics in the books I mention in my blog shows them in 1980s trains. They're a striking design, so good for a bit of colour and variety.

CAST containers seem to show up in early 1980s rakes - I wonder when they became widespread?

CTI containers seem to be a given for any 1970s train, and you can make them from the C-Rail kits and decals.

I'd love to go back in time to the school trip to France we did in 1979, from Southampton Docks, with a decent digital camera.

not sure if this helps much

http://www.irishships.com/bell_lines.html

• Like 2