Comet Models

artisan100

Very sad to hear about the passing of Geoff today. When I returned to railway modelling a couple of years ago , it was Comet products that I turned to to get going again and Geoff was always very helpful and obliging. Sincere condolences to his family at this very difficult time. RIP Geoff. Thinking of you, Ali.

Hi All,

It is with great sadness I have read about the passing of this true gentleman. I have spoken to Geoff on the phone and at exhibitions several times and I always gave the impression of a very friendly and helpful guy to whom the making money part of the business he ran was only part of the equation. The passion for the hobby was just as important to him and that was evident in the way he ran Comet and the kits and other products he produced. He has had a very real, genuine, positive influence on myself and my fellow modelling volunteers at Didcot. On behalf of myself and them I can only offer our very deepest condolences to his family at this most difficult time. Be assured that his is memory will continue to live on on the what must be hundreds and hundreds of kits that have been built by the grateful modellers up and down this country, or rather, worldwide that had the very good fortune to become one of Geoff's customers.

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Commiserations to Mary, Tim and the rest of Geoff's family. Having gone to school with Geoff, I was amazed when he recognised me at an exhibition 40 years later, when I was buying some parts from him.. A true gentleman and a great loss

It was a shock to receive an email from Geoff's son, Tim, this morning regarding an order I had placed with Comet, which informed me that his father had passed away. I would like to add my condolences to his family on the passing of a true gentleman who will never know the great service he did the railway modelling hobby with his great knowledge and ready advice to all. RIP, you will not be forgotten

I am saddened to learn of Geoff's death (I've not looked at the thread for quite a bit) but also shocked - as I had understood from his post (No 24) that whilst unwell, he was recuperating. Sadly, I was mistaken...

In addition to all the comments made above about Geoff, I'd like to add he was a superb ambassador for the world of model railway brass kits. Without his subtle encouragement, and our short chats whenever we crossed paths at shows, I (and I suspect many others) would have never taken the plunge into brass kit making.

I offer my condolences to his family and friends. We will not see his like again...

iD

• RMweb Premium

I never met Geoff but because of my transient lifestyle, I communicated by email and phone.

Faultless service every time, and the kits and etches are fantastic.

A real loss to our hobby and condolences to his family.

Are Comet to continue trading after the unfortunate passing of Geoff ?

It would be tragic to lose the wonderful range of products that Geoff meticulously built up.

Hi Lofty

Comet, as you and everyone else will appreciate, is in a state of flux at the moment, so there are no firm answers to this question.  At the present time, trading is suspended, but we will be filling orders we have already received in the near future.  After this, we are unsure what will happen, but we will make further announcements on the Comet website and in this forum when there is any further information.

Regards,

Tim Brewin

on behalf of Comet Models

• RMweb Premium

It would be sad to lose Comet models, as they would make a great memorial for Geoff Brewin.

Thane of Fife

I have bought a few of their Mark 1 sides over the years and they are nice etchings, I was going to order a few more to reside all of my Limas, but I will wait and see what happens.

Anyway my thoughts are with the family

Speaking of which, there will be a memorial service for him on 26th October.

I'm sure many of us would like to attend but can't due to distance, work etc., so is it possible that someone from RM Web could act as an official representative?

Phil

It might be prudent to contact the family before just turning up as I am aware they would like some idea of numbers attending, not least for catering purposes. I also believe it is by invitation and RSVP only.

Robin

Details removed by Admin

Following recent conversations on this thread, my mother and I would like to ask that anyone who is hoping to attend contacts us first - preferably by use of the sales@cometmodels.co.uk email address.

We are aware that a large number of people will want to pay their respects to Geoff, and wholeheartedly appreciate the thought, but practical considerations such as the size of the venue we have booked mean that their must sadly be some limit to the number of people we can invite, and as some of you know, Dad's career involved other spheres as well as model railways, so a proportion of the capacity has already been taken up.

As Robin points out above, this event is sadly by invitation only and we require firm replies to ensure we can accomodate the people who wish to come, who in the main are extended family and old-established friends.

Anybody who wishes to make a donation in Geoff's memory is welcome to contribute to the memorial fund.  The proceeds of this will be split between research into Malignant Melanoma and associated funds, with a small contribution to a preserved railway near Geoff's home.

Kind regards,

Tim + Mary Brewin

Hi Arthur

This a point which had escaped both my Mum & I.  We were intending to make an announcement of the details either late this week or next.  The fund is being held for us by the funeral directors, but I am not sure if they can accept online payments other than via credit/debit card in the same way Comet operates.

I will clarify this with them and put a further post detailing the necessary information.

Kind regards,

Tim

We would like to express our thanks to the vast majority of loyal & valued customers, old & new, for their understanding, messages of sympathy and patience throughout this difficult period.  Geoff's untimely and sudden death, having been so generally well for the past year, took everybody by surprise and we remain deeply shocked and saddened.

We are in the process of assembling orders which had been received prior to our suspension of trade.  We will obviously dispatch these orders at the earliest opportunity, as long as the required information has been provided.  We do not intend accepting or fulfilling any new orders sent, as we are making different arrangements for the ordering and dispatch of Comet products through an alternative source.

This decision has been reached as it has become very apparent that in the absence of Geoff, his extensive product knowledge and ability to advise customers, any service we can provide would not always meet the high standards of service Geoff was able to provide, to beginners and experienced finescale modellers alike.

It is hoped that a resolution will be found soon for customers through a succesful sale of Comet as a going concern.  If no sale is achieved, other solutions will be found.

Again, thank you for your patience and understanding in this difficult time.

Mary & Tim Brewin

We would like to express our thanks to the vast majority of loyal & valued customers, old & new, for their understanding, messages of sympathy and patience throughout this difficult period.  Geoff's untimely and sudden death, having been so generally well for the past year, took everybody by surprise and we remain deeply shocked and saddened.

We are in the process of assembling orders which had been received prior to our suspension of trade.  We will obviously dispatch these orders at the earliest opportunity, as long as the required information has been provided.  We do not intend accepting or fulfilling any new orders sent, as we are making different arrangements for the ordering and dispatch of Comet products through an alternative source.

This decision has been reached as it has become very apparent that in the absence of Geoff, his extensive product knowledge and ability to advise customers, any service we can provide would not always meet the high standards of service Geoff was able to provide, to beginners and experienced finescale modellers alike.

It is hoped that a resolution will be found soon for customers through a succesful sale of Comet as a going concern.  If no sale is achieved, other solutions will be found.

Again, thank you for your patience and understanding in this difficult time.

Mary & Tim Brewin

Tim

Many, many thanks for posting this.

I suspect I will speak for many modellers that there was an element of trepidation that the Comet range would be lost following Geoff's untimely demise, so your determination that it should continue, in some way, is a most welcome announcement, and not only because it means at least we can feel positive that the products will still be available to us, but also because the continuance of the range will be a fitting memorial to Geoff.

I also suspect that should you need help in any form, discrete enquiries through someone such as Andy Y will point you in the direction of people who can help you resolve these problems while avoiding trouble and frustration from time wasters, dreamers etc.

Best wishes for the future.

Phil

Geoff's passing has left me very saddened, and very surprised.

We'd been chatting this last 6 months or so with a view to my supplying Coreless motors to him. Indeed I supplied a test motor for him to try.

Our mails had always been constructive and I felt it a string to my bow to be associated with such a well known and respected manufacturer.

A terrible loss, and I've mailed the family with my condolences.

I guess we'll never have that beer now Geoff? Shame. RIP mate.

Dave

A sad loss to modeling in general so many useful bits for projects I have done over the years.

When an order went wrong to him he took the time to mail me and even took a photo of the envelope

which as Geoff told me had been delivered to comet opened. It showed me to seal the letters with tape and to use a 

bit of card instead of paper for the letter

Condolences to the family

Tim,

Is there a link to Geoff's memorial fund?

Hi Arthur,

I suspect you speak for a lot of people when making this enquiry.  I have spoken to the funeral directors who have agreed to maintain the fund in memory of Dad for a period of time for donations to be made.  Would those people who wish to make a donation in this way please contact me at the usual Comet Models email address, and I will forward details.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Tim

Archived