Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

• RMweb Premium

Coming together well.

Don't worry about over weathering a West Hartlepool engine, the ones I remember were always filthy

Baz

Edited by Barry O

Looking good.

Thinking about that buffer stop over the riverbank.

To me it is crying out for a buffer stop looking as if it has had a fairly recent reconstruction and a trail of debris and scratches in the grass where something has ended up in the river and had to be retrieved.  Alternately you could leave half a wagon stuck in the river where it hasn't been retrieved.....

Just a thought.

Les

• Like 2

Looking good.

Thinking about that buffer stop over the riverbank.

To me it is crying out for a buffer stop looking as if it has had a fairly recent reconstruction and a trail of debris and scratches in the grass where something has ended up in the river and had to be retrieved.  Alternately you could leave half a wagon stuck in the river where it hasn't been retrieved.....

Just a thought.

Les

Thanks Les, I'll give that some thought.

Regards,

Brian.

Not a lot done today but I do like running my RailRoad D49s.

"Westmorland" has just been released from its train by the station pilot and is being turned...

post-1115-0-16343200-1524072065_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-82630900-1524072188_thumb.jpg

before backing down on to its train and departing.

post-1115-0-35208100-1524072290_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-29115300-1524072331_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 11

Signal work continues.  I really should have given signal installation more thought during the baseboard build because I have had to add a little piece to the formation thus...

post-1115-0-31079800-1524674087_thumb.jpg

...to accommodate the bracket signal controlling the outer station limits crossover.

post-1115-0-58237900-1524674348_thumb.jpg

Straight ahead gives access to platforms 1 & 2 while the right hand "junction" leads to platforms 3, 4 and the goods/mineral arrival road.  So the piece has been temporarily clamped in place so that I can test a goods train held at this signal...

post-1115-0-96716200-1524674688_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-64301600-1524674739_thumb.jpg

...does not foul the fiddle yard entry should I choose to slide the 'yard immediately after the incoming train has halted at the signal...

post-1115-0-49082400-1524674883_thumb.jpg

...enabling the departing train to immediately occupy the 'yard road just vacated by the goods train.

post-1115-0-49073400-1524675002_thumb.jpg

The two trains having passed each other, the crossover points can be changed and the incoming train given the signal.

post-1115-0-09649500-1524675107_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-53514200-1524675157_thumb.jpg

Getting there (slowly).

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 9

Some weeks ago I purchased one of these on Ebay for the princely sum of £7.49 including postage.

post-1115-0-52449500-1524844851.jpg

I have only recently purchased the microSD card necessary to make videos.  A conflat was pushed into service as a trolley for the spycam in order to make cab's eye view videos of the layout.

post-1115-0-29727700-1524845058_thumb.jpg

A suitably slow loco was selected to push the trolley round the layout thus.

post-1115-0-11718900-1524845154_thumb.jpg

So I had a bit of fun making cab ride videos this afternoon running the spycam from one end of the layout to the other including the colliery branch.  Despite being only 35 miles from central London we have appallingly slow broad band speeds locally so no YouTube videos (perhaps one day).  Instead here are a few screen shots taken from the videos.

post-1115-0-77460100-1524845394.png

post-1115-0-99962300-1524845446.png

post-1115-0-48334400-1524845498.png

The date/time setting is miles out and there is a way of correcting it but unfortunately you can't remove it.  The resolution, despite being claimed as HD, is a little ropy but for £7.49 + the cost of the microSD card, it's a good bit of fun in my opinion and a lot cheaper than the video van I've seen reviewed recently in the model press which retails at circa £80 I think.  But perhaps you get higher resolution with that option.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 4

I went to the Romford show today and had a good mooch round.  Here are a few layout pics.

post-1115-0-81772500-1524935158_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-60340600-1524935310_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-95009000-1524935448_thumb.jpg

I also spied a couple of bargain buy Bachmann Thompson coaches for £11 a throw.  So a little makeover project was called for this afternoon including replacing the bogies, adjusting the coupling position and adding corridor connectors as below.

post-1115-0-93188300-1524935716_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-42773400-1524935791_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-04153800-1524935876_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-34376500-1524935924_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-35252300-1524935976_thumb.jpg

They were then given a test run on the layout.

post-1115-0-76392000-1524936254_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 9

With some signals in place but not quite fully working, I have been operating some services (playing trains) to see how signals might affect in-comings and outgoings.

The colliery is in full production so a Q6 has been sent to collect a train of full hoppers.

post-1115-0-60494700-1525108349_thumb.jpg

Having coupled up, the Q6 departs the colliery...

post-1115-0-73486600-1525108441_thumb.jpg

...only to be stopped by the signal protecting the main line where a DMU service has priority.

post-1115-0-16342000-1525108549_thumb.jpg

The DMU is being directed to platform 4 so is using the outer station limits cross-over.

post-1115-0-77970900-1525108689_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-57682300-1525108768_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-60268200-1525108827_thumb.jpg

Once the DMU has arrived in platform 4, the Q6 follows it in to the station thoat and into the goods arrival road...

post-1115-0-71049400-1525108921_thumb.jpg

...alongside platform 4.

post-1115-0-63500100-1525109020_thumb.jpg

Once the station pilot has done its job and the Q6 has been turned, the Q6 waits patiently for the road but incoming...

post-1115-0-09650600-1525109176_thumb.jpg

...and outgoing...

post-1115-0-61867000-1525109268_thumb.jpg

...passenger services take precedence.

However, the Q6 and her loaded hoppers eventually get the road...

post-1115-0-70884100-1525109351_thumb.jpg

...passing an incoming train of empties held at the signal.

post-1115-0-40966100-1525109448_thumb.jpg

These sorts of story boards will help me plan a complete sequence and working time table.  There is an excellent relevant article in this month's RM.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 12

I'm not getting much done at the moment, indeed, since Christmas work has stalled somewhat due to loads of different family stuff going on (number 1 son's house extension and numbers 1 and 2 daughters moving), so I only get brief opportunities in the shed.

Today, I fancied putting another A3 on the layout so the V2 was substituted on the London service.  Having now 2 A3s on the layout, I couldn't resist the opportunity to take a pic of them both together as below.

post-1115-0-39642800-1525282462_thumb.jpg

A bit of a busy composition, taken into the sun (i.e. the shed windows are immediately behind the A3s) and there is some bare baseboard on show (shock, horror).

That's all for now.

regards,

Brian.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Brian,

swapping the brake van over when the coal train reverses direction could be a pain (unless you like the shunting involved). In some areas where there were a lot of reversals brake vans were attached to each end so the engine just had to run round, just a thought !

I really like your progress, keep it up.

Regards,

Tom

• Like 1

Brian,

swapping the brake van over when the coal train reverses direction could be a pain (unless you like the shunting involved). In some areas where there were a lot of reversals brake vans were attached to each end so the engine just had to run round, just a thought !

I really like your progress, keep it up.

Regards,

Tom

Thanks for your interest Tom.  I don't mind the shunting, especially using the smaller 0-4-0s like the diesel and steam sentinels provided the live frog switching is reliable.  The Seep point motors in the main station and main line areas occasionally stop switching but a quick squirt of electrical cleaner stuff (can't remember the exact name of it) usually sorts them out. In the colliery I have used wire in tube point control, the wires connected to slide switches which switch the frog polarity.  This method has proved faultless and if I do build another layout I will definitely consider using that type of point control throughout.

Regards,

Brian.

Re the old style Thompson coaches, I replaced the windows on mine with flush glazing from SE Finecast (I think).  What a difference that makes, especially on the porthole windows

Thanks for that suggestion.  I must admit to having thought about doing that before but I am a little unsure how easy it is to get inside these coaches.  Can you please explain?

Regards,

Brian.

I have not forgotten the request re opening up the Thompsons to add flush glazing but 1) I can't remember how i did it so i will have to go back and check one and 2) some rather unpleasant dental surgery sort of took over life.  Will try to get to it this week.

I have not forgotten the request re opening up the Thompsons to add flush glazing but 1) I can't remember how i did it so i will have to go back and check one and 2) some rather unpleasant dental surgery sort of took over life.  Will try to get to it this week.

No problem and I hope the pain eases soon.

Best Regards,

Brian.

One of the reasons that this corner of the layout...

post-1115-0-15976400-1525799837_thumb.jpg

...remains far from complete is that my "big idea" of using gravity to assist in the manual operation of the semaphore signals, whilst OK for single mast signals, does not work very well on the bracket junction signal below...

post-1115-0-34297500-1525800074_thumb.jpg

...because there is too much friction in the system.

So, what to do?  I really did want operating signals but don't have the patience to faff about further with the Ratio kits and I do not possess the soldering skills to build metal (MSE) kits.  I am therefore drawn towards operating colour light signals such as Train-Tech and/or Eckon/ Berko.  But I wonder whether fitting colour light signals on a 1950s/1960s based NE Region layout is a little step too far beyond belief.

Your views would be welcome peeps.

Regards,

Brian.

Re Thompson coach body removal, basically its the slide a small screw-driver under the coach side move it along to the lugs gently bend outwards and pop off.  Note: if you decide to flush-glaze the thompsons have a negative draft from the outside to the inside so it is necessary to file away said negative draft and make window openings square.  Check as you go along.

Jim

post-4861-0-98728600-1525816717_thumb.jpegpost-4861-0-37698900-1525816752_thumb.jpegpost-4861-0-46862900-1525816780_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Theakerr
  • Like 3

Re Thompson coach body removal, basically its the slide a small screw-driver under the coach side move it along to the lugs gently bend outwards and pop off.  Note: if you decide to flush-glaze the thompsons have a negative draft from the outside to the inside so it is necessary to file away said negative draft and make winds openings square.  Check as you go along.

Jim

attachicon.gifThomp 1.jpegattachicon.gifThomp 2.jpegattachicon.gifThomp 3.jpeg

Thanks for posting this information - very useful.  I'll see if I can dismantle one of my Thompsons as you suggest before purchasing the windows.

Thanks again for your interest in my ramblings.

Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

One of the reasons that this corner of the layout...

attachicon.gif20180508_174949.jpg

...remains far from complete is that my "big idea" of using gravity to assist in the manual operation of the semaphore signals, whilst OK for single mast signals, does not work very well on the bracket junction signal below...

attachicon.gif20180508_175010.jpg

...because there is too much friction in the system.

So, what to do?  I really did want operating signals but don't have the patience to faff about further with the Ratio kits and I do not possess the soldering skills to build metal (MSE) kits.  I am therefore drawn towards operating colour light signals such as Train-Tech and/or Eckon/ Berko.  But I wonder whether fitting colour light signals on a 1950s/1960s based NE Region layout is a little step too far beyond belief.

Your views would be welcome peeps.

Regards,

Brian.

As a north-easterner by adoption I love your layout and have found your step by step descriptions above to be most helpful and encouraging..

The Train-Tech signals I find very good and they operate faultlessly on my DCC system(usual disclaimer), never tried DC versions but my friend says they work fine for him with just wires (resistors) and rotary switches - you can buy controllers too.  They may not be valid for NE or for the time period (which is a shame if true) but I for one HATE layouts with no or non-operating signals so I use Train-Tech and to heck with it.

Since you have had some experience with wire in tube and slider switches - why not use that??  Is there no room for the odd crank to turn corners?  I am told that servos are very good too - they can be easily controlled if you can fit them - plenty of examples/advice on the Signalling threads.

Good luck .............

Edited by imt

As a north-easterner by adoption I love your layout and have found your step by step descriptions above to be most helpful and encouraging..

The Train-Tech signals I find very good and they operate faultlessly on my DCC system(usual disclaimer), never tried DC versions but my friend says they work fine for him with just wires (resistors) and rotary switches - you can buy controllers too.  They may not be valid for NE or for the time period (which is a shame if true) but I for one HATE layouts with no or non-operating signals so I use Train-Tech and to heck with it.

Since you have had some experience with wire in tube and slider switches - why not use that??  Is there no room for the odd crank to turn corners?  I am told that servos are very good too - they can be easily controlled if you can fit them - plenty of examples/advice on the Signalling threads.

Good luck .............

Many thanks for your kind remarks and interesting suggestions.  I did (briefly) consider servos but, being a bit of a cheapskate, I dismissed the notion because, by the time you have factored in the cost of the servo controllers, it looked a costly solution.  Thanks again for your suggestion/reminder to consider the use of WIT.  I may investigate that option further as the costs are minimal.  My impatience is not a great marriage to this hobby and I do find building the Ratio LNER signals fiddly and time consuming, hence my attraction to the Train-Tech colour lights and the lights with "feathers" look excellent and I could definitely find a use for them.  The layout is a pastiche of BR(NERegion) and I've taken inspiration from for example West Hartlepool (platform canopy), Malton (loco shed)  and Sandsend (metal viaduct).  I've seen contemporaneous pics of the use of colour lights on the Southern Region but not so far on the North Eastern Region, apart from the ECML.  Still, I could enforce "Rule 1".

Much to think about.  In the meantime I will order some more WIT and experiment with the bracket signal already constructed.

Thanks again for your interest.

Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for your kind remarks and interesting suggestions.  I did (briefly) consider servos but, being a bit of a cheapskate, I dismissed the notion because, by the time you have factored in the cost of the servo controllers, it looked a costly solution.  Thanks again for your suggestion/reminder to consider the use of WIT.  I may investigate that option further as the costs are minimal.  My impatience is not a great marriage to this hobby and I do find building the Ratio LNER signals fiddly and time consuming, hence my attraction to the Train-Tech colour lights and the lights with "feathers" look excellent and I could definitely find a use for them.  The layout is a pastiche of BR(NERegion) and I've taken inspiration from for example West Hartlepool (platform canopy), Malton (loco shed)  and Sandsend (metal viaduct).  I've seen contemporaneous pics of the use of colour lights on the Southern Region but not so far on the North Eastern Region, apart from the ECML.  Still, I could enforce "Rule 1".

Much to think about.  In the meantime I will order some more WIT and experiment with the bracket signal already constructed.

Thanks again for your interest.

Regards,

Brian.

You are talking to a man who gets impatient with his shoelaces!

If you want to go the MAS route don't forget CR Signals (again usual disclaimer) who build to order and will produce signals with multiple "feathers" (for example) which Train-Tech do not, and they are not expensive.  If you think servos are expensive keep away from Absolute Aspects MAS which are works of art and cost similar sums of money.

Good luck with the WIT approach - beyond my arthritic 75 year old dexterity levels now, sadly, because in my youth I used the Denny "piano keyboard" system (sliding wooden keys with brass "feelers" and contact screws at appropriate places) which provided WIT and electronic switching on a DIY cheap and effective basis.  Seems to have been forgotten about these days. Why not try DCC Concepts wonderful Cobalt-S lever frames - again works of art and beautiful to look at and use - but about £18 each lever!  This ain't a cheap hobby any more if you aren't good with your hands!

Happy modelling.  As I said, I love your layout and re-read these posts every so often when I feel down!

• Like 1

It's amazing how much the prices have risen in the last decade or so, particularly rtr locos.  I am retired now but only started building layouts about 12 years ago following a lifetime of "armchair" modelling so I'm still a relative novice, learning all the time, especially from RMWeb friends.  My first modern loco purchase was a Bachmann J72 purchased in 2005 for £36.50.  There's a new one on its way from Bachmann which I guess will retail at well over the ton, albeit a superior model in every way (I've just checked, Hatton's pre-order price is £106) .  Point motors are also a case in point (no pun intended!).  The cheapskate in me opted for Seep point motors which have built in frog switching capability for about £4 a throw (whoops, another unintended pun).  They are a right b*gger to fit to ensure reliable frog switching (one of the reasons I tried out the slide switch/WIT combo in the colliery yard) but are far cheaper than Peco or whatever.  Similarly, I have no intention to go DCC yet - very difficult to justify the associated costs to SHMBO.  The engineer in me enjoys the problem solving involved in the hobby, such as trying to get these semaphores to work cheaply currently and how to make curved viaducts on a gradient at that time in the layout's development.

Thanks again for following my ramblings.

Best Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Brian,

I'm using the WIT method for the points on my new layout and plan to also use it for the signals. I'm using slide switches to provide the movement and switch the frogs. I thought I would use the same method for the signals by running the tube to below the baseboard via a slot, to give maximum bend radius, to a vertical crank mounted below the signal to change the horizontal movement to up and down. Two or more cranks could be fitted side by side for bracket signals and the signal operating wire connects direct to the crank, unclip the wire to remove the signal (if required). Several holes in the crank for throw adjustment. Sounds like it would work - I'll let you know in a year or so.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by tom shaw
  • Like 1