Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

Well if you crossed the Tyne back then on a bus more than likely have to go all the way round via Newcastle, cars could use the Shields ferry, South to North then up via the Fish Quay up Tanners Bank into Tynemouth, along the Broadway and into Whitley Bay or along the coast via Cullercoats. :-)

You know, your post has awakened vague memories of the north Tyneside electric trains = maybe we went by train.  Dim and distant I'm afraid now.  Oh to be a time traveller!

Regards,

Brian.

You know, your post has awakened vague memories of the north Tyneside electric trains = maybe we went by train.  Dim and distant I'm afraid now.  Oh to be a time traveller!

Regards,

Brian.

If you had travelled by train, the South Shields/Sunderland trains used to arrive in the next door platforms at Central Stn, to the North Tyneside suburban ones so a straight transfer would have been easy.  

I was born in 1955 and barely remember the Electrics, sliding doors dusty bucket seats with leather and cloth, some sort of 'pump'?? on and off. I did manage to have a ride on a Trolley bus up Grainger street In Newcastle once.  But having moved south to Letchworth for a few years then moved back to Tynemouth, the line was run by DMU's.  Used to ride them to school every day plenty of time to do homework!  Somedays on a  crowded train in summer, we travelled in the guards van often with the doors open. It was fun some days to get the riverside train home or go the long way round via Longbenton and 'The Ministry' (DHSS) where the platforms were packed.

• Like 4

If you had travelled by train, the South Shields/Sunderland trains used to arrive in the next door platforms at Central Stn, to the North Tyneside suburban ones so a straight transfer would have been easy.  

I was born in 1955 and barely remember the Electrics, sliding doors dusty bucket seats with leather and cloth, some sort of 'pump'?? on and off. I did manage to have a ride on a Trolley bus up Grainger street In Newcastle once.  But having moved south to Letchworth for a few years then moved back to Tynemouth, the line was run by DMU's.  Used to ride them to school every day plenty of time to do homework!  Somedays on a  crowded train in summer, we travelled in the guards van often with the doors open. It was fun some days to get the riverside train home or go the long way round via Longbenton and 'The Ministry' (DHSS) where the platforms were packed.

Thanks for your comments.  Coming up from Essex to Easington we would would either travel to London (Fenchurch Street Station) or Aldgate (Green Line) Bus station and then round on the Circle (Underground) Line to Kings Cross so as a young lad I was used to electric trains with sliding doors.  Trolley buses in London were being phased out in the 50s when these journeys took place and I can just about remember them but I don't recall ever travelling on one.  With today's concerns about inner city air pollution there's probably a substantial argument to bring trolley busses back!

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

In the last couple of weeks or so, the little time I have spent in the shed has been devoted to the goods yard scenics.  This area is still not complete but at least all of the bare baseboard is now covered with ballast, roadway or grass - see below.

post-1115-0-99904000-1512924350_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-92422700-1512924409_thumb.jpg

As well as extending the roadway from the cattle dock down to the goods shed, work has also involved adding some more cattle resistant railings,...

post-1115-0-27180600-1512924518_thumb.jpg

...making sure the coal yard is black (more texture needed here though)...

post-1115-0-00210100-1512924614_thumb.jpg

...and adding another grassy bank alongside the goods shed and painting all of the baseboard edges black.

post-1115-0-59267700-1512925342_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the quality of these phone pics.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 11

I'm no scenic expert but maybe using an ash type ballast for the coal yard and then blending may soften the effect?

Maybe also using an ash type on the tracks as well in the yard?

Absolutely Dan.  But at least there's no more baseboard visible.  Thanks again for your interest.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

This layout looks very good, so much so that I've followed the thread, but I have a question:

I'm modelling the North Eastern Region as well on my layout 'Kingsborough'. Could anyone give me any guidance of any particular points I have to consider whilst modelling? (Eg. Specific trains, layout features, etc.) Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

This layout looks very good, so much so that I've followed the thread, but I have a question:

I'm modelling the North Eastern Region as well on my layout 'Kingsborough'. Could anyone give me any guidance of any particular points I have to consider whilst modelling? (Eg. Specific trains, layout features, etc.) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for following and your interest in my layout.  In answer to your query, you need to research the area and period re train operations, station architecture, etc.  The North Eastern Railway Association have a whole series of publications which you could find useful.  Even simple google image searches throw up useful results as I have found when researching West Hartlepool Station roof.  You need to decide where exactly your layout is set and old railway maps are useful for this.  Also, other modellers' layouts set in the area are worth copying a look when they pop up in the various railway magazines.

Hope this helps and good luck with your layout.  If you want more specific advice PM me.

Regards,

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Recent activity has focused on the riverside under the metal viaduct.  This space under the viaduct ...

post-1115-0-84664300-1513793001_thumb.jpg

...is the area in question and is tricky to scenic/grass because of the way I have made the viaduct.  Perhaps I should have thought about this earlier but hey ho I like a challenge.  So various bits of expanded polystyrene glued together and "buttered" with filler and painted with burnt umber poster paint were tried for fit there-under...

post-1115-0-04651100-1513793249_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-46363100-1513793316_thumb.jpg

...adjusted with the addition of more filler...

post-1115-0-35623800-1513793397_thumb.jpg

...and static grassed.

post-1115-0-16483300-1513793486_thumb.jpg

The components were then put in place under the viaduct

post-1115-0-33107800-1513793634_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-24461600-1513793969_thumb.jpg

I'm quite happy with how this has turned out - "but you can see the join, Ern" I hear you say - a bit more grass should hide these.  The area under the left hand abutment has been left for now because the abutment needs some ashlar texture paper added to make it look more like a proper abutment.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 11

More incremental progress today, involving a bit of cardboard "engineering", to make the abutment I referred to above.  The "before" pic follows.

post-1115-0-97695900-1513880219_thumb.jpg

Some 2mm thick greyboard and some Scalescenes ashlar texture produced the following shell structure...

post-1115-0-56752200-1513880454_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-66485200-1513880590_thumb.jpg

...to wrap around the main substructure shown in the "after" pic below.

post-1115-0-00994100-1513880733_thumb.jpg

The lower part of the abutment will be buried in land form which is why it looks a bit odd at this stage.  More scenic work to follow in this area.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 6

In between manic Christmas preparations, I have managed to complete the land form jig-saw puzzle under the viaduct spans on one side of the river - see below.

post-1115-0-23418400-1514136140_thumb.jpg

I have also extended the abutment at this end to accommodate a more sensible slope of the as yet unfinished land form alongside it which will slope down to the valley floor.  This needs either an extension of the bridge railings on top of the extended abutment or more likely a short length of wall to complete.  I have also added the road supporting substructure sweeping down to the bridge made from more grey board - see below.

post-1115-0-67869300-1514136513_thumb.jpg

Mindful of today's date and more importantly tomorrow's, I would like to wish everyone who follows my ramblings and all RMWebbers wherever they are a very Happy Christmas and a Healthy and Prosperous New Year.   So...

post-1115-0-80412000-1514136713_thumb.jpg

All the very best,

Brian.

• Like 6

I managed a half hour or so in the shed today following our Christmas and Boxing Day family celebrations (more planned for tomorrow - a visitation), time enough to give my Xmas present a quick run on the layout.  I don't know how Santa got a K1 down our chimney  :jester: , especially as how we haven't got a chimney  :jester:  :jester: .  Anyway, here she is on a stopper.

post-1115-0-79804700-1514399504_thumb.jpg

62064 runs like a dream straight out of the box.  She joins her sister 62024 on the roster.  A certain Liverpool establishment is knocking these out for £82 - could not resist!.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 13

I managed a half hour or so in the shed today following our Christmas and Boxing Day family celebrations (more planned for tomorrow - a visitation), time enough to give my Xmas present a quick run on the layout.  I don't know how Santa got a K1 down our chimney  :jester: , especially as how we haven't got a chimney  :jester:  :jester: .  Anyway, here she is on a stopper.

attachicon.gif20171227_180255rev.jpg

62064 runs like a dream straight out of the box.  She joins her sister 62024 on the roster.  A certain Liverpool establishment is knocking these out for £82 - could not resist!.

Regards,

Brian.

I have two also, lovely runners.

• Like 1

Another little micro project was carried out this afternoon, namely, making the abutment parapet walls at the colliery end of the metal viaduct - see below.

post-1115-0-62767400-1514654160_thumb.jpg

They are only resting in position at the moment - I need to fill the ground level a little behind these walls.  The following pic shows where the adjacent ground level is proposed (red line).

post-1115-0-76115500-1514654365_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile the new K1 joins its class member in the loco shed area.

post-1115-0-77713900-1514654411_thumb.jpg

That's all for now.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 10

Happy New Year to all on RMWeb

I hope your New Year got off to a better start than mine.  Not only did my team loose at home again and we are back in the bottom three but the new K1 threw a rod literally and has gone back from whence it came.  Hopefully, its replacement will last a little longer.  My older K1 has given me absolutely no problems whatsoever.  Being a bit of a cynical old b*gger, it makes you wonder why it was so cheep.  Seconds?  Anyway, it has gone back today to Liverpool by post.

In the meantime a Q6 and full minerals leaves Deneside Colliery and crosses the new abutment onto the metal viaduct (apologies for dodgy camera phone pics)...

post-1115-0-53335700-1514918200_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-07597500-1514918271_thumb.jpg

...and a V2 departs Deneside on a parcels service.

post-1115-0-73067500-1514918316_thumb.jpg

Best Regards to All,

Brian.

• Like 11

Brian,  You may be interested that Hattons have EFE Sunderland District Leyland Atlanteans on Bargain offer @ £9.50 each.

Pete

Thanks Pete.  I shall investigate  :)

Best Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Guest Q663389

The Hornby K1's are very sensitive to being handled around the valve gear area behind the cylinders. There is a plastic pip on the cylinders which holds the motion in place and provides the pivot point. It snaps at the slightest touch. Peter's Spares can or could supply replacement cylinders. I say could as I bought the last four, but the may have more stock by now.

The alternative is to remove the cylinders, cut off the remaining part of the pip and drill out to insert a piece of brass wire. The B1's are likely similar, but in my case I haven't broken one yet.

Regards

Alan

There isn't much land form on the layout but what there is is complicated.  Still, I am having a happy time with my hot wire cutter and expanded polystyrene  :)

The work today has concentrated alongside the new metal bridge abutment and adjacent to the road on this side of the layout - see below.

post-1115-0-84090500-1515002855_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-62902800-1515002899_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-37543300-1515002962_thumb.jpg

The various chunks of expanded polystyrene have been glued to each other and the baseboard below, I'll add modroc tomorrow hopefully.  I've also painted and talced the adjacent bit of road.  The road bridge is still removable at this stage.

Meanwhile, my older K1 awaits departure...

post-1115-0-72580100-1515003918_thumb.jpg

..while the Q6 and minerals is given the road.

post-1115-0-97384300-1515003843_thumb.jpg

That's all for now.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 6

Brian,  You may be interested that Hattons have EFE Sunderland District Leyland Atlanteans on Bargain offer @ £9.50 each.

Pete

Duly ordered with a couple of other items  :)

1 * Base Toys DA76 Commer Bulk Tipper 'National Coal Board' (circa 1954-1964) @ £7.99 each = £7.99

1 * Base Toys DA81 AEC Mercury artic flatbed with long packing cases load "British Railways" (circa 1955-1965) @ £11.00 each = £11.00

1 * EFE 16533 Leyland Atlantean "Sunderland District" @ £9.50 each = £9.50

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

Looking good, Brian.

The joys of a hot wire cutter!   There is something quite "special" about the fumes they give off slicing polystyrene, isn't there?   I use fan on high to ventilate when I am carving with my wand.

Cheers

Scott