• RMweb Gold

Those of you who have followed my occasional posts in the ‘Swindon to Kemble redoubling’ thread may have seen references to a new book that  I am co-authoring on the Swindon to GloucesterGolden Valley’ line.

I am pleased to say that two versions of the book are almost ready to go into production. As with the previous OxfordWorcester ‘Then & Now’ books published in 2011, I have again teamed up with my friend, railway author John Stretton and Silver Link Publishing (The Nostalgia Collection).

As with most other books in their popular ‘Past and Present’ series, this new book will show views of the Swindon – Kemble – Gloucester line at various times between the days of the Grouping and the present day.

Many of the latter-day photos have been taken from the same viewpoint and angle as the older views, enabling the reader to see with great clarity how the line has changed over the years. There are also a good selection of views of recent engineering works taken during the three main redoubling blockades in 2013 and 2014. Both versions of the book will also feature ‘then & now’ views of the two branches from Kemble to Tetbury and Cirencester.

This time, we are hoping to publish both versions of the book at around the same time. The standard version will feature a soft-back cover with over 200 black & white and colour illustrations. It should cost £19.99 (plus P&P), and would be available from any good book seller or directly from the publisher:

The NOSTALGIA Collection

The Trundle,

Ringstead Road,

Great Addington,

Kettering,

Northants

NN14 4BW

Tel/Fax: 01536 330588

email: sales@nostalgiacollection.com

Front cover for standard soft cover edition:

post-57-0-40728900-1413289192.jpg

Special 'Subscribers Limited Edition'

Subject to a minimum up-take of not less than 300 copies, the publisher will also offer a special Subscribers Limited Edition of the book which would feature the following additional features:

·          Hard covers with special ‘limited edition’ dust jacket and all copies signed by both authors

·          Increased content, approx 33% additional pages as compared with the soft cover version, including additional views of the engineering works during 2013 and 2014

·          Subscribers names listed inside the book

·          No further print runs of this hardcover edition will be produced, so this is definitely a limited edition

It is proposed that the Subscribers Edition will be made available only on completion of the special order form, a copy of which is posted below or can be obtained directly from the publisher.

The closing date for Subscribers Limited Edition orders will be 30/11/14 and providing the minimum number of copies is reached, the Limited Edition will also go into production. The RRP of the Limited Edition will be £30.00 plus P&P.

Proposed cover of Subscribers Limited Edition (hard cover):

post-57-0-02116600-1413289349_thumb.png

Order forms for the Subscribers Limited Edition:

post-57-0-57232000-1413290190_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-88967800-1413290213_thumb.jpg

Whilst the soft cover version of the book will be great in its own right, the main reason for this post is to make RMWeb people aware of the possibility of the special limited edition, which will provide a much more comprehensive record of the changes brought about by the redoubling, together with many other interesting views of the rest of the route and the two branches. We do need to reach the ‘magic number’ of 300 ‘expressions of interest’ as soon as possible, in order to confirm the production of the Limited Edition. Happily, the rail industry has again subscribed to a good proportion of that number, but there is always room for futher expressions of interest!

If you would like to subscribe to the Limited Edition, please contact the publisher Silver Link/Nostalgia Collection direct, although it would help if you could PM me to let me know, as I am keeping a running tally of interested parties. More information on the limited edition is available on the attached j-peg version of the order form, or can be obtained from the publisher.

If on the other hand you are just interested in the standard version of the book, there is no need to contact me, please order it direct from your chosen book seller or the publisher.

As per last time, I am not gaining financially from this publication personally, my entire fee is being donated to charity (Dementia UK) and I have no other commercial connection with the publisher.

It is hoped that both books will be available by the end of the year.

Finally, I have obtained Andy York's permission to promote this book on RMWeb.

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The hardback limited edition has now been sent to the printers, and many thanks to those from RMWeb who have supported it by subscribing to a copy.

I'm also told that the soft back version should be back from the printers to the publishers soon.

Just to remind everyone that the deadline for ordering a copy of the Limited Edition is 30th November... apart from getting 33% more book, you also get your name published inside the pages, as a Subscriber.

Is it true that there is also a voucher for a complimentary packet of sausages ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Captain, I live in swindon so should really get this but I'm more a BR blue sort of guy....is there much from this era or is it steam and 66s..?

Hi Rob - there's a fair amount of BR blue in the 'before' era, possibly up to approx 20% of the 'before' photos?

• 2 weeks later...

Fortunately my employer was giving away several copies of the signed limited edition books on a first come first served basis and of course I was salivating at the front of the queue! 

I received my copy today and it's a great book! It even has some views of the Tetbury Branch which I hadn't come across before! It's well worth getting hold of a copy if you have any interest in the Swindon to Gloucester line!

Many thanks,

Jack

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There was also a Golden Valley line in the Marches, from Pontrilas to Hay.

Jonathan

The subject of a very good book written by W.H. Smith and published by Wild Swan, entitled 'The Golden Valley Railway'...

Archived