Pickering Model Centre (formerly Puffers) to close

QuoitsPlayer

I'm sorry to pass on the bad news that Pickering Model Centre, formerly Puffers, is to close at the end of the month. It was Dennis's plan to close at the end of the month if a buyer could not be found for the business and Bronwyne is fulfilling Dennis's plans. 

It is such a shame that another excellent small local model shop is to close.

Sad to hear this. I would have thought a model shop would do very well at such a prominent location, not just from the enthusiast sector, but all the casual tourists and other visitors in the area making an impulse purchase of a small / starter train set, etc.

After the recent expiry of the Kickstarter, N gauge, Great Western railcar project, I fear for the future of our hobby as, while some aspects of it are buoyant, a large share of the market appears to be gradually sinking !  

Would it not be a good idea for the NYMR to step in and take it over, as a model shop with the odd working layout thrown in? I know the shop has a wide range of stock and items and that this could be skewed more towards a railway interested audience....

Just a thought...

I think they might want to concentrate on getting their own layout to work reliably before tackling anything as complicated as DCC.....besides, they haven't got any money; just a rather large overdraft.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sad to hear, But for people visiting is their not another shop at the other end of the line in Grosmont ?

There's the shed shop at Grosmont, but that's it now. The one opposite the station has closed down as well.

• 2 years later...

I had to look hard to see where they are, but yes, I've been in.  It really is a toy shop, when I was last there (last summer, I think) there wasn't anything of use for what I'd call modelling.

I may be being unfair, but it had a bit of the Lidl about it - spot bought bargains piled high, if you see what I mean.   Not in a derogatory sense, that was just how it looked.

• RMweb Gold

When I was in there a few weeks ago they told me they were stopping doing railways.

That does make sense.  Their website has a lot of items listed, but as out of stock, hence my question.  Won't bother with making the detour next time I'm up at the NYMR.  

• RMweb Gold

There may be a few odd bargains left in the cupboard. I picked up the last Jinty in there at less than box shifter price. I only went on for some glue and paint, ended up spending ten times what I intended.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

I still miss Puffers from when it was opposite Kenton railway station in north London!

Dave Kings domain spent a fortune in that store till it closed.

• RMweb Premium

Dave Kings domain spent a fortune in that store till it closed.

so did I when the future wife was living in Kenton... happy days!

Baz

• 1 year later...

In Pickering town centre just past boots there is an alley leading to a flea market were there is a second hand model rail stall. I have had a couple of bargains here.

Paul

We went yesterday  14th May 2018 to visit the NYMR.

The market is still there but the Model Railway stall has disappeared. The market was closed last year  for tarting up when we went and it now has smart lighting, a roof that looks water tight and no bargains any more, Progress.

Fantastic railway book bargains in second hand book shop opposite Pickering NYMR Station made my visit worthwhile, nothing over £3   OS Nock history of British Railway locos and the like immaculate for £3 fantastic.   

There is a good model shop at the NYMR works at Grosmont and a second handbook shop and a model shop opposite Grosmont station, no idea the model shop is any good as it was shut at quarter past four on a sunny Monday afternoon when NYMR trains were running till 4.30 and plenty of folk milling about

Edited by DavidCBroad

That's a shame David. I use to enjoy looking in the flea market when we took the caravan up to Scarborough.

The shop next to the crossing at Grosmont once sold model railways but a change in ownership around 3 years ago saw it sell the unusual tourist stuff and little in the way of models.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Called in at the market when I was in Pickering recently. Besides the loss of the railway stall it was nowhere near as good as a few years ago.

That'll be down to the increased stall rents thanks to the new roof and paint job....

The railway stall that was in Pickering flea market is Dave edge and he is now in the shop next to the co-op at Grosmont along with Grosmont book shop run by George Morton which is a fantastic place to find a book at a good price

• Like 2