57009 in Level Crossing Incident at Lingwood

Driver's report might well read 'Wheels picked up due to poor railhead conditions'.  The interesting thing is of course that it wouldn't have happened at an automatic level crossing!

Oooo, red rag to a bull time. here we go again. :jester:

Quote BBC..

Services between Norwich and Great Yarmouth are being diverted through Reepham, said Greater Anglia.

I thought that was on the M&GN?

Reepham had stations on both GER and M&GN lines. On of the stations has been restored (can't remember which).  Must have been a Freudian slip since p and d aren't close on the keyboard. When I was with RCE Anglia the locals tend to fit in with 'a little bit of knowledge' issue; they knew the timetable and didn't understand that there were other trains (and that included the gate keepers!).

• RMweb Gold

Would be ironic if it slipped being an RHTT!!

Actually very common as the front is on the mucky rail and the back on the wet rail, also very slippery for the first train following as the atomised water, like dew, from the spray settles on the railhead. Drivers are used to it but sometimes if you hit a really bad patch it can catch you out. The AHB's on our patch that are next to stations all have the Non stopping train locked on for autumn each year. It's a balance as you usually select for the type of train to keep the barriers closed for as little time as possible.

Glad no one's hurt and the black box will quickly prove where and how the braking went. It's often forgotten that in slippery rail incidents the recording may absolve the driver ;)

Quote BBC..

Services between Norwich and Great Yarmouth are being diverted through Reepham, said Greater Anglia.

I thought that was on the M&GN?

I think they mean Reedham where the line diverts either over the swing bridge to Lowestoft or straight on over the marshes past the lonely Berney arms station then to Yarmouth the line rejoining the Norwich Acle Yarmouth line just beyond the old carriage sidings on the edge of Town

• RMweb Premium

Probably be used as an excuse to put in a set of automatic barriers. 

Designing, installing and testing a AHB will take a long time, and even if by chance all the design work is done, it will still take time to implement.

On the other hand digging a hole, concreting inserting a large steel RSJ into it, then attaching a utilitarian metal gate to it can all be done within a mater of days. It might not look pretty but it works and can in theory last until the crossing is eventually modernised*

* Nationally there is a large shortage of signal design staff plus suitably qualified "new works" testers to test the new kit before trains can be allowed to resume running after ANY signal related alterations. Last year, the Arun Valley resignalling had to be postponed to guarantee there were enough resources available so the Gatwick scheme could be commissioned as planned. This Christmas the extensive alterations being done at London Bridge (including a revised track layout, a new interlocking, revised signals, plus the move of parts of the existing panel to new workstations in the ROC at Three Bridges) will be requiring a significant slice of the pool of available testers. With only a finite number of people to go around designing a new AHB installation due to easily fixable gate damage simply isn't going to happen.

If it took the Wensum curve, which I believe it did, then 57009 would be leading on the return from Acle

So to get where it did the train would have had to reverse after ploughing through the level crossing gates!

The driver would be receiving a P45 if he did that!

Designing, installing and testing a AHB will take a long time, and even if by chance all the design work is done, it will still take time to implement.

On the other hand digging a hole, concreting inserting a large steel RSJ into it, then attaching a utilitarian metal gate to it can all be done within a mater of days. It might not look pretty but it works and can in theory last until the crossing is eventually modernised*

Agreed. When Stow Park gates had an argument with a 142 in 2010 (faulty gate on that occasion) it was replaced with another wooden gate. The crossing was modernised in 2013 and converted to barriers with CCTV as part of a wider scheme.

Probably be used as an excuse to put in a set of automatic barriers.

That's not going to happen. It will be replaced like for like. As has been mentioned earlier the design/installation/testing will lose six to eight months if they can find someone to do it. They do have a small stock of spares. If they are really stuck they can always ask (they haven't yet) I'm well known by the powers that be and it wouldn't be the first time 'my' stuff has returned for use on the 'main line'. I have had a recent influx of 27ft gates and posts with the closure of the Ely - Thetford line boxes.

A complication may be that the small firm that makes the gates has recently closed it's doors for the last time. They were based in Norwich somewhere. I've had the pleasure of working with them a few times.

Archived