NEW Green FYWP E5010 announced and repaint of NRM E5001

DJM Dave

FRESH LOOK FOR NRM CLASS 71

The National Railway Museum's unique Class 71 electric locomotive E5001 is to get a fresh new look thanks to an unprecedented partnership between the museum, its current home and the world of model railways. 

Barrow Hill Engine Shed Society, British Railway Modelling magazine, DJ Models and Kernow Model Rail Centre have come together to fund the repainting of E5001 into early-1970s BR blue, in time for next April's 'Rarities' gala at Barrow Hill Roundhouse. With the full backing of the National Railway Museum and the Science Museum, the repaint will give enthusiasts the first chance to see a BR blue Class 71 since 1977 and help to conserve the sole survivor of this 24-strong class of 2,700hp locomotives in museum condition for several more years. 

As well as significant donations from the BHESS, BRM magazine and Kernow Model Rail Centre, funds for the repaint will also come from sales of a new special edition version of DJ Models' forthcoming OO gauge Class 71. The model will feature E5010 in BR green with full yellow ends – a version not previously included in the production plans of DJ Models or Kernow Model Rail Centre, who are working together to release the first ready-to-run Class 71 models in 2015. 

Anthony Coulls, Senior Curator of Rail Vehicles at the National Railway Museum said: “We are so pleased that this partnership has allowed this iconic model locomotive to get a fresh new look. Having the model in its BR blue for the first time since 1977 will ensure a real treat for visitors coming to the “Rarities gala” in April and we are proud to have been able to play a part in this.”

DJModels Ltd's Dave Jones added; "I am absolutely delighted to be able to support this historic locomotive. I only ever saw one moving, but it stuck with me, and it's been a firm favourite ever since. The chance to support the real thing, and to produce a model of the class to help support the repaint is the least I can do." 

The DJModels OO gauge version of the Class 71 is expected to make its debut in late-2015, based on a 3-D laser-scan of E5001 undertaken at Barrow Hill several months ago.

“Barrow Hill is very pleased to be working with all the partners involved in this project” said Mervyn Allcock, Barrow Hill Roundhouse Manager. “We are looking forward to seeing 71001 in BR Blue again. It’s an exciting partnership and proves what can be done when organisations get together with a shared objective and a shared aim to protect and promote an important part of our railway heritage.”

Kernow Model Rail Centre Managing Director Chris Trerise added; “I am really pleased to be involved in another model project that also benefits the preservation of the real thing. This partnership between all involved can only be good and I am looking forward to the Barrow Hill event in April." 

BRM Managing Editor Ben Jones said; "We're delighted to be involved in this project, and to help put E5001 back into showroom condition. I have fond memories of travelling down to Bournemouth Depot open day behind it during its brief return to the main line in 1992 and look forward to seeing it in BR blue for the first time. With a OO gauge model coming soon too from DJModels, we hope this will raise the profile of this important class."  

National Railway Museum footnotes:

·          The National Railway Museum in York has the largest collection of railway objects in the world and attracts over 700,000 visitors per year.

·          The National Railway Museum’s collection includes over 300 locomotives and rolling stock, 628 coins and medals, 4899 pieces of railway uniform and costume, railway equipment, documents, records, artwork and railway related photographs.

·          The National Railway Museum houses a world class collection of Royal trains, which includes a collection of Royal carriages, from those used by Queen Victoria to Queen Elizabeth II.

·          The National Railway Museum’s vast art collection comprises of 11,270 posters, 2,358 prints and drawings, 1052 paintings, and 1,750,000 photographs, many of which have never been on public display.

·          The National Railway Museum forms part of the Science Museum Group, along with the Science Museum in London, the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) in Manchester, the National Media Museum in Bradford and the National Railway Museum in Shildon.

·          Admission to the National Railway Museum is free.

·          Follow us at twitter.com/railwaymuseum

Join us at facebook.com/nationalrailwaymuseum

DJModels Ltd

www.djmodels.co.uk

Dave Jones is an award winning model maker who over the last 8 years won multiple awards for his model railway locomotive design and innovation.

As a modeler himself he keeps closely in touch with what the modeler requires, and has set new standards in N and OO gauge.

British Railway modelling

British Railway Modelling Magazine and RMweb forum offer Britain's most complete railway modelling coverage. Find out more at www.model-railways-live.co.uk and www.rmweb.co.uk

Kernow Model Rail Centre

Kernow Model Rail Centre are an established model railway retailer in Cornwall with a proven track record for producing exclusive and authentically detailed models. - find out more at www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com

Further Information on Barrow Hill Roundhouse:

Barrow Hill Roundhouse is the last surviving railway roundhouse in the United Kingdom with an operational turntable. Built in 1870, it was threatened with demolition in 1991 when the site was closed by British Rail.  It was saved by a group of dedicated volunteers who have transformed it into a premier railway venue.

The Roundhouse is open to the general public every weekend except during the Christmas and New Year holiday period.  It is also the venue for several major events every year and attracts over 30,000 visitors annually.  Further details of forthcoming events including the ‘Rarities’ Diesel Gala being held in April 2015 can be found at www.barrowhill.org.  You can also find information by following us on Twitter @barrowhill 41 and on Facebook at Barrow Hill Roundhouse Railway Centre.

As well as the turntable and unique sheer legs (lifting gear), the Roundhouse has a changing display of steam and diesel locomotives and other rolling stock, a collection of artefacts and memorabilia, and an operational signal box and short running line.  The Roundhouse was awarded Museum Accreditation by the Museums Libraries and Archives Council in 2010.  Barrow Hill Roundhouse is also home to the Deltic Preservation Society.

The site is connected to the national railway network and this has encouraged several commercial rail companies to base their activities at Barrow Hill, generating over 40 jobs and making a valuable contribution to the local economy.  Clients include Network Rail, DRS, Freightliner, GBRF, Colas, BARS, West Coast Railways, VSOE (operators of the Orient Express), Harry Needle Railroad Company, NewRail (railway research facility affiliated to Newcastle University), TCL, Rampart, Pindari and Intertrain.

With good rail and road connections, a large car park and on-site catering, the Roundhouse is a popular choice for railway industry demonstrations and product launches.  It is also an interesting and different venue for corporate away days.  

Barrow Hill Engine Shed Society Limited, Campbell Drive, Barrow Hill, Chesterfield, S43 2PR

Mock up picture of the livery of E5010 (not complete or accurate and should only be used for reference)

post-1144-0-43599500-1416917896.jpg

Did you not read the last line of the post?

Mock up picture of livery, not complete or accurate and should only be used for reference!

lol, both right, however ive now edited it for fat finger stupidity! (mine!) :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Right.  I'm already booked to be in the UK next April on family business.  Can I squeeze in a trip to Barrow Hill?  

An outstanding development and a real coup.  The commercial side of the hobby coming together to support the real thing in a way I cannot recall having happened before.  

There might be duplication of a model but not (so far as we know) of the variety of models and of the future plans let alone anyone from Margate offering to repaint a 12" : 1' scale locomotive.

Hats off and glasses raised to all involved.

Shall I just give you my wallet Dave? At this rate you'll take all it's contents anyway. :D

Hi mate,

Leave yourself a fiver, after all I'm not that nasty that I won't leave you with enough for bus fare home ;-)

Oh no, too many green ones to choose from ;-)

Guess I will have to switch to a blue un until I decide. You are not planning varieties in blues right now are you?

P.s will it be easy to fit sound in it? I mean what sort of speaker are we planning? Being half deaf I don,t want space suitable for an N gauge one....

Oh no, too many green ones to choose from ;-)

Guess I will have to switch to a blue un until I decide. You are not planning varieties in blues right now are you?

P.s will it be easy to fit sound in it? I mean what sort of speaker are we planning? Being half deaf I don,t want space suitable for an N gauge one....

Hi John,

Decisions decisions eh? Lol

Anyway, the loco will takes the biggest speaker with sealed enclosure I can design to fit in the model. ( please remember the restrictive space because of the pantograph well), so I'm hoping to off set a speaker the size of the one I designed to fit in the 22,10000 and Western.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Dave

Excellent news all round, particularly as it helps with the conservation of E5001, if only 74010 had survived in departmental use we might have a matching pair today...

Personally I'm hanging out for the 74 as being slightly more useful to someone with no third rail, the real ones were known to travel short distances on diesel power if the engine room door was slammed properly!

Hi John,

Decisions decisions eh? Lol

Anyway, the loco will takes the biggest speaker with sealed enclosure I can design to fit in the model. ( please remember the restrictive space because of the pantograph well), so I'm hoping to off set a speaker the size of the one I designed to fit in the 22,10000 and Western.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Dave

Yes thanks, that is great, the last thing people want to see is me doing the sound effects LOL!

• AY Mod locked this topic

Archived