Class 71 Crowd Sourcing press release

DJM Dave

Class 71 press release

5 years ago, I decided that after the class 73 model I would design, through a previous employer, a class 71 and then a 74.
I approached my contacts at the NRM and was informed that this loco was ‘reserved’ and on a rather extensive list for another company.

However I never lost hope that one day I could do one.

That hope was rekindled 17 months ago, when contact was made with my man on the inside on the same subject, and the door was then ajar for me to approach the project.

This I have done using a type of crowd sourcing campaign, where you, the modeller funds the model up front using a third party for security of monies.
I asked for permission to scan the real thing and this was granted, and I launched the ‘Crowd sourcing’ through the kind management of Kernow Model Rail Centre.

I’m glad to say that the scanning and photo survey went ahead, over a period of 5 hours at Barrow Hill Roundhouse with the loco being moved into a large area to enable a full 360 degrees of laser scanning, including the cabs, underside, roof and internal ‘booster’ equipment.

My scanning company of choice has many years of experience in scanning railway locomotives and are officially Network Rails ‘go to people, being fully accredited by them, for scanning on network rail property to help with infrastructure development, and maintenance analysis.
However, they are also responsible for scanning the award winning Western, Sentinel, Beattie well tank and the upcoming APT-E, O2, LSWR road van and others and are simply the best in the business at what they do.

Meanwhile the ‘peoples model loco’ (for that’s what it is, a loco wanted and funded by you, the modeller) reached a tipping point where I could press all the buttons and get this model made. This has been done and you will all receive your ‘reward’ of the model of your choice.
Today I announce another addition to the ‘ Crowd Sourced’ 71 fleet with the BR Green E5010 with full yellow warning panels. Funds from each sale will go towards the NRM Authorised repaint of this locomotive into BR Blue, co-sponsored by Barrow Hill Roundhouse, DJModels Ltd, Kernow Model Rail Centre and BRM Magazine.

I understand a third party has recently decided to make this loco, and while disappointing in many ways, I will be going ahead with this project and giving you the model you have shown faith in my ability to build for you. You are all part of an exciting, history making venture, as I believe no mass produced RTR OO gauge locomotive has ever been successfully funded by the modeller alone. You should all be suitably ‘chuffed’ (sorry) at your achievement.

Once the model is built and supplied, I will start work on the class 74, all thanks to you, and I am working on a way of rewarding those that signed up for a 71 to also sign up for a limited edition class 74 as well.
Thank you all!
Dave
DJModels Ltd

• RMweb Premium

Well said.  Clear, concise, open and honest.  Multiple 71s coming and with the 74 up and over the horizon.  The icing on the cake must the commercial tie-up to repaint E5001.  Is that wailing and tears I hear coming from Margate?

• RMweb Premium

Dave,

Can I please just check - your press release says E5010... Should this say E5001? And should it be with small yellow ends (as preserved) rather than the stated full yellow ends?

My order (as noted and hoped for on the other thread) will go straight in if this can be clarified?

Cheers,

Andrew

Dave,

Can I please just check - your press release says E5010... Should this say E5001? And should it be with small yellow ends (as preserved) rather than the stated full yellow ends?

My order (as noted and hoped for on the other thread) will go straight in if this can be clarified?

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

No, the repaint is for the real E5001, but the model is a green full yellow warning panel E5010 ( this is a true livery albeit rare)

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

How is it all going?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the posting.

It's going really well thanks, but please forgive me, if, for the moment, I don't go into details. This is done to not 'give the game away' regarding progress on this model to third parties who scanned and announced the model after I have.

Rest assured though,the laser scanning was a great sucess, as was the intensive photo survey, and the cloud created and debugged by the engineer.

I hope I'll have some more news in the next few weeks on this project.

Cheers

Dave

• AY Mod locked this topic

Archived