The Lilleshall Company a little known industrial railway

Any thoughts on the sort of Waggon that would have hit him? Would this be pulled by an engine? or manually pushed? He was my granddads great granddad. Poor chap was 74 and still doing this heavy work when he was killed

Wellington Journal - Saturday 27 August 1904
THE PRIORSLEE FATALITY. On Saturday Mr. Coroner Lander held inquest at the Greyhound Inn, Snedshill, near Oakengates, On the body of old man named Thomas Hall, aged 74 years, residing Monk's Hill, and who was killed by a cinder waggon falling on him on the Lilleshall Company’s private line at the Priorslee furnaces, as reported in last week’s issue of the "Journal”. Mr. H. J. Peacock, his Majesty’s Inspector of Factories, was present, and Mr. Geo. Tompkinson on behalf of the Blast Furnace Association of Working Men.—John Hall identified the body as that of his father. On Thursday morning witness heard had been killed. He was told they had missed hooking a waggon. Deceased's work was to keep the rails clean.—Jas. Wright said he saw the deceased on Thursday morning when he went work. All went well until 20 to 12 O' clock that morning. Witness heard them ringing from the top of hill to the engine man, and saw the waggon coming down hill at a terrible speed. Witness shouted for the deceased move. He saw no possible chance of stopping the waggon. Deceased heard him call, and ran to get clear, but the waggon canght him and carried him some 16 yards. When witness got to him he was quite dead. Deceased had no room on either side where he was working. He ran to get at the end of the engine-house, some seven or eight yards away, and had gone about five yards when he was caught. These waggons were fastened by a hook, but witness thought they must have tried hook it, and waggon slipped away. The men the top of the hill were Samuel Pitchford, Henry Edge, and Alfred Morris. They are all experienced men.—ln answer to the Inspector, the witness said he had never known this happen before. Alfred Morris, employed as a cinder tipper, said he was on the top of the hill, and it was his place to work the wince. Witness received this particular load of cinder at the lop. After the rope that winds it up was unhooked the chain was attached to it from the wince. The waggon was emptied and returned back, The waggon was drawn by Pitchford and Edge. Pitchford took it off, and it was his duty to attach the rope. Pitchford missed coupling, and said, Lads, it's not fastened’*. The waggon got beyond the control of Edge and witness, and went down the hill. Witness had worked on the job 18 months, and he had never known them to miss hooking a waggon. Witness called out to Edge to give warning ringing the bell to the engineman at the bottom. They could not see what had happened from the top, as it was more than 200 yards away to where the deceased was said have been working, and it was impossible for anyone to stand clear between this gulley. Witness could not say whose fault it was that the "bogie” ran away.—ln answer to a juryman, witness said there was no stop block at the top of the hill, not for empty waggons, only for full ones, Samuel Pitchford, residing Wrockwardine Wood, said he missed hooking the waggon through a bit of hot cinder. They could use the same scotch that they used for the full waggons.—Henry Edge said he was present when Pitchford missed hooking the tub. It could have been brought to a standstill. They had worked on this same principle the last eight or nine years, and he knew of no reason why the waggon should not scotched. Had it have been done this accident would not have happened.—John Henry Robinson, foreman platelayer, said he knew this particular line and place very well. Witness went explain the mode of operations, and the Coroner then summed up. the jury returning a verdict of "Accidentally killed" and added a rider to effect that a recommendation bo sent to the Lilleshall Company to insist upon the use of stop blocks for full and empty trucks on the cinder hills.

Any thoughts on the sort of Waggon that would have hit him? Would this be pulled by an engine? or manually pushed? He was my granddads great granddad. Poor chap was 74 and still doing this heavy work when he was killed

Wellington Journal - Saturday 27 August 1904
THE PRIORSLEE FATALITY. On Saturday Mr. Coroner Lander held inquest at the Greyhound Inn, Snedshill, near Oakengates, On the body of old man named Thomas Hall, aged 74 years, residing Monk's Hill, and who was killed by a cinder waggon falling on him on the Lilleshall Company’s private line at the Priorslee furnaces, as reported in last week’s issue of the "Journal”. Mr. H. J. Peacock, his Majesty’s Inspector of Factories, was present, and Mr. Geo. Tompkinson on behalf of the Blast Furnace Association of Working Men.—John Hall identified the body as that of his father. On Thursday morning witness heard had been killed. He was told they had missed hooking a waggon. Deceased's work was to keep the rails clean.—Jas. Wright said he saw the deceased on Thursday morning when he went work. All went well until 20 to 12 O' clock that morning. Witness heard them ringing from the top of hill to the engine man, and saw the waggon coming down hill at a terrible speed. Witness shouted for the deceased move. He saw no possible chance of stopping the waggon. Deceased heard him call, and ran to get clear, but the waggon canght him and carried him some 16 yards. When witness got to him he was quite dead. Deceased had no room on either side where he was working. He ran to get at the end of the engine-house, some seven or eight yards away, and had gone about five yards when he was caught. These waggons were fastened by a hook, but witness thought they must have tried hook it, and waggon slipped away. The men the top of the hill were Samuel Pitchford, Henry Edge, and Alfred Morris. They are all experienced men.—ln answer to the Inspector, the witness said he had never known this happen before. Alfred Morris, employed as a cinder tipper, said he was on the top of the hill, and it was his place to work the wince. Witness received this particular load of cinder at the lop. After the rope that winds it up was unhooked the chain was attached to it from the wince. The waggon was emptied and returned back, The waggon was drawn by Pitchford and Edge. Pitchford took it off, and it was his duty to attach the rope. Pitchford missed coupling, and said, Lads, it's not fastened’*. The waggon got beyond the control of Edge and witness, and went down the hill. Witness had worked on the job 18 months, and he had never known them to miss hooking a waggon. Witness called out to Edge to give warning ringing the bell to the engineman at the bottom. They could not see what had happened from the top, as it was more than 200 yards away to where the deceased was said have been working, and it was impossible for anyone to stand clear between this gulley. Witness could not say whose fault it was that the "bogie” ran away.—ln answer to a juryman, witness said there was no stop block at the top of the hill, not for empty waggons, only for full ones, Samuel Pitchford, residing Wrockwardine Wood, said he missed hooking the waggon through a bit of hot cinder. They could use the same scotch that they used for the full waggons.—Henry Edge said he was present when Pitchford missed hooking the tub. It could have been brought to a standstill. They had worked on this same principle the last eight or nine years, and he knew of no reason why the waggon should not scotched. Had it have been done this accident would not have happened.—John Henry Robinson, foreman platelayer, said he knew this particular line and place very well. Witness went explain the mode of operations, and the Coroner then summed up. the jury returning a verdict of "Accidentally killed" and added a rider to effect that a recommendation bo sent to the Lilleshall Company to insist upon the use of stop blocks for full and empty trucks on the cinder hills.

I would think it was narrow gauge by the use of the word "tub" and the fact that they were using scotches to stop the waggons from moving, rather than applying brakes,

Narrow gauge tubs were usually moved by manpower, or horses, but the Lilleshall Company did have a couple of narrow gauge steam locos but in this case it appears the tubs were hauled up a steep incline by a 'wince', which I'm sure is an old word for a winch. In other words a rope-worked incline.

• Like 1

Hornby had the first decorated sample of the Lilleshal Pecket on display at Warley today in plain black. Looked superb and is due for release in April. From what what was being said, it may be followed by other Industrial types!

David

• Like 1

Hornby had the first decorated sample of the Lilleshal Pecket on display at Warley today in plain black. Looked superb and is due for release in April. From what what was being said, it may be followed by other Industrial types!

David

Good to hear - although April release less so as thought it was supposed to be out in the fourth quarter this?

Looking forward to seeing it, mind you, I'm planning on turning mine into 'Rocket,' at the Telford Steam Railway!

With the imenent arrival of the Hornby Peckett As Lilleshall No10 it is worth remembering that although that the loco was a Lilleshal loco, during the Second World War the loco was loaned to the Sankey works at Hadley (which was producing munitions for the war effort) in 1943. The large works was adjacent to the Wellington to Stafford line between Hadley station and Trench Crossing and had a main line connection into the works. The loco was maintained by Lilleshall Co fitters on site at Hadley who would travel from Priorslee works.

• 5 weeks later...

Stuart, thanks for the nice comment, my intention was to raise  the awareness of the Lilleshall Co amongst a wider audience.

I am posting some more photos.

the first shows The Colonel.post-20690-0-44123300-1515063294_thumb.jpg

the second shows a Barcley No 3 (AB 1392 of 1914) aquired by the Lilleshall Coand from new scrapped in 1933.

post-20690-0-38777900-1515063431_thumb.jpg

This is the only known photo of this loco.

David

• Like 5

I think that last photo may be from a slide that has been put in the wrong way round. The smokebox door hinges aren't on the usual side for a Barclay, nor is the rod from the reversing lever.

Andrew Barclay 0-4-0st 1349 of 1913 on the last day of operation shown on what is now the A5, it turns out the single was offered for sale and when no buyers came became Constance, not much could have survived the rebuild except for the boiler, whether she ever had a tender is unknown, note that the engine room scenes in 'A night to remember' were filmed at lilleshall

The shovel from Alberta and tubes from the taffy tank are still extant

The origin of the coach which made up the miners train is still to be established

thanks to John Wood for the photos and info

post-29975-0-24649000-1515193112_thumb.jpeg

post-29975-0-20645800-1515241851_thumb.jpeg

post-29975-0-78142500-1515241874_thumb.jpeg

post-29975-0-92997000-1515241885_thumb.jpeg

post-29975-0-48968200-1515241894_thumb.jpeg

post-29975-0-35533900-1515241903.jpeg

post-29975-0-33047000-1515241913.jpeg

post-29975-0-42307700-1515241923_thumb.jpeg

post-29975-0-20137400-1515241931_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 8

The origin of the coach which made up the miners train is still to be established

The photo of the coach looks remarkably like photos of the Cannock Wood colliery paddy train, in which case it will be a LNWR built 6 compartment brake third which was bought by the colliery in 1958 following union pressure to reinstate a passenger service.

Super images KK, thanks for posting.

Do you have a higher resolution pic of the shot of steam crane Old Bertha that you could inspect? I'd love to be able to read the chalked words on the buffer beam!

I haven't a higher resolution image but I will ask John next time I'm talking to him, I'm curious myself

Apparently she was a pig to drive (she had no brakes and whenever the clutch was let slip she ran away

The internal user wagons with the tarpaulins in earlier pictures are carrying stone dust used to damp down coal dust in the pit to suppress potential explosions

This is a loco nearly bought by lilleshall from beyer peackock in 1916

post-29975-0-95284600-1515259836_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The photo of the coach looks remarkably like photos of the Cannock Wood colliery paddy train, in which case it will be a LNWR built 6 compartment brake third which was bought by the colliery in 1958 following union pressure to reinstate a passenger service.

it is the Cannock Wood paddy train.

Locomotive Rawnsley 0-6-0 saddle tank Built by lilleshall in 1866, The LNWR coach survives at Chasewater

Andy

it is the Cannock Wood paddy train.

Locomotive Rawnsley 0-6-0 saddle tank Built by lilleshall in 1866, The LNWR coach survives at Chasewater

Andy

The Paddy survives but is in very poor condition at Chasewater, as far as I’m aware it’s the only surviving ‘ordinary’ LNWR coach.

Just seen the latest Hornby list from Hatton and they list a Lilleshall Limestone wagon. Not sure how accurate it is but we will wait to see one. Bachmann also produced one but I have not seen one for a long time, although I have 3 to convert. I suspect Hornby have produced this to go with the next release of the Peckett, which will be Lilleshal No 10.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just seen the latest Hornby list from Hatton and they list a Lilleshall Limestone wagon. Not sure how accurate it is but we will wait to see one. Bachmann also produced one but I have not seen one for a long time, although I have 3 to convert. I suspect Hornby have produced this to go with the next release of the Peckett, which will be Lilleshal No 10.

Probably about as close as their Huntley & Palmers wagon - which was a curiously near miss.

Super images KK, thanks for posting.

Do you have a higher resolution pic of the shot of steam crane Old Bertha that you could inspect?  I'd love to be able to read the chalked words on the buffer beam!

As below I do have a higher resolution version of the words chalked onto the buffer beam of the crane. The addition of chalked inscription to items of rolling stock appears to be quite popular on the Lilleshall - see previous "Return To Boot Hill" on the rear of the Peckett.

The photo below along with 3 of the other recent Lilleshall system photos posted by Killian Keane (With no credit!) was taken by A.J.B.Dodd.

Regards

Steaman

post-31270-0-73500800-1515789348_thumb.jpg

• Like 5