The Lilleshall Company a little known industrial railway

If I didn't know better I would say this photo had been 'photoshopped', what an oddball engine! Does anyone know the reason for such an unorthodox approach ?

Best

Guy

If I didn't know better I would say this photo had been 'photoshopped', what an oddball engine! Does anyone know the reason for such an unorthodox approach ?

Best

Guy

I guess 'boultons siding and contractors locomotives" would have some information on her history if they have a drawing of her, which is another thing, why would they include drawings of locos which were never at the siding? I'm not complaining! But its queer...

Thats another book I have to get a hold of :D

Edited by Killian keane

There's an 0-6-0 version here (Clay Cross)

CLAY_1.jpg

Note the wheels on the middle axle are flangeless. I remember reading somewhere that the 4-4-0 version had the front drivers flangeless and the bogie on a fixed pivot. It was later altered to have all flanged wheels and a bogie that moved sideways, but it kept derailing and was scrapped.

Edited by £1.38
  • Like 5

Just to add that the "long boiler" design was a Stephenson classic. The middle axle was often flangeless and unusually close to the rear axle . This presumably produced a rigid chassis that could get round sharp curves. They built tender locos as well as tanks on this principle. I guess the bogie tank version would get round even sharper curves.

Longboiler.jpg

Im1925EnV139-p180.jpg

Edited by £1.38
  • Like 3

I guess 'boultons siding and contractors locomotives" would have some information on her history if they have a drawing of her, which is another thing, why would they include drawings of locos which were never at the siding? I'm not complaining! But its queer...

Thats another book I have to get a hold of :D

It's just the drawing - the book has the Boulton drawings from the Rosling book, and a few random industrial locos added at the end to get the page count up for extra interest. 

It's just the drawing - the book has the Boulton drawings from the Rosling book, and a few random industrial locos added at the end to get the page count up for extra interest. 

The pages will be there anyway thanks to the way the printing and binding process works so sticking in a few extra illustrations makes a lot more sense than leaving them blank  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

The two brakevans at Granville in latter years came from the NCB's Cannock & Rugeley Collieries system....

Thank you for this information, PGH. Having recently scratchbodged another Cannock brake van, I'm planning a similar model of CRC No. 2, as Telford seem to refer to it.

Did you happen to note its dimensions,  please, or does it match No. 4 as drawn? 

Thanks

Mike

Edited by mikeroch

Thank you for this information, PGH. Having recently scratchbodged another Cannock brake van, I'm planning a similar model of CRC No. 2, as Telford seem to refer to it.

Did you happen to note its dimensions,  please, or does it match No. 4 as drawn? 

Thanks

Mike

No, sorry Mike, I only measured Brake Van No.4 which was out of use.  The other van was in use at the time but I would guess that it would be a fairly similar size.

PGH

Having been away for a few weeks its about time I added some more stuff to the thread. The Lilleshall Co built a small number of locomotives some for their own use and some for sale. One of the locos they kept for themselves was No 4 Constanance built in 1865 and lasted until 1957. It had been rebuilt by the Company in 1916 when it received new frames and a new boiler.

post-20690-0-52615300-1497015819_thumb.jpg

The photo was taken in 1954 by Timm Shuttleworth and also shows a couple of the slag wagons used to dispose the slag from the blast furnaces.

post-20690-0-97211000-1497015949_thumb.jpg

The second photo shows No 4 outside the loco shed at New Yard in 1952  with the Barclay 0-6-0 in front and some tanterlising bits of wagons in the background. Photo by Tim Shuttleworth.

post-20690-0-15376700-1497016093_thumb.jpg

The 3rd photo again taken by Tim Shuttleworth on 17-5-1952 probably on the same day as the phot above. Engines like No 4 Constance are to me what Industrial railways are all about, ancient locos toilimhg away out of the limelight.

• Like 10

I wonder what was left of the 1865 machine after the 1916 rebuild? Amazing how long some of these locos lasted in industry and especially steel works. The current Furness Railway No.20 (built 1863 as 0-4-0 tender engine) worked at Barrow Iron and Steel Works up until 1960, all be it made into a saddle tank on acquisition by BISW. They certainly got their moneys worth out of both locos, and no notion of 'built in obsolescence' in those days

Best

Guy

I know that I haven't been posting very uplifting images of the Lilleshall/Granville loco fleet, but I came across an old faded colour print taken by AJ.B Dodd, at the bottom of a chest of drawers last night. The image appears to depict the demise of "Constance" plus another unidentified loco. I know its not a great shot, but if anyone can confirm my guess that the more distant loco is "Constance" that would be appreciated. Once again, in a similar manner to the Peckett, the loco shown would appear to have a removable top half of the rear cab. Below are the before & after Photoshop versions.

Steaman.

post-31270-0-73099800-1497184558_thumb.jpg

post-31270-0-91584500-1497184597_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I know that I haven't been posting very uplifting images of the Lilleshall/Granville loco fleet, but I came across an old faded colour print taken by AJ.B Dodd, at the bottom of a chest of drawers last night. The image appears to depict the demise of "Constance" plus another unidentified loco. I know its not a great shot, but if anyone can confirm my guess that the more distant loco is "Constance" that would be appreciated. Once again, in a similar manner to the Peckett, the loco shown would appear to have a removable top half of the rear cab. Below are the before & after Photoshop versions.

Steaman.

I think you are correct in thinking that the more distant (left hand) loco is No.4 CONSTANCE, the nearest (right hand) loco would be 5 0-6-2T Vulcan Foundry 1342 of 1892.  It has the same 14 spoke wheels as the 0-6-2T, although unfortunately the distinctive balance weights on the first and last coupled wheels are hidden behind debris.

According to IRS records 5 was scrapped in January 1957 and No.4 circa February 1957 and the photo confirms that scrapping was more advanced on 5 than No.4 at the time of the photo.

Edited by PGH
  • Like 1

Wagon Details:

I thought I'd try and scan in some wagon detail in an attempt to provide some modelling information. These are 60 year old negs by A.J.B.Dodd that I have attempted to obtain the wagon detail from, with limited success. I do hope that they may provide some useful background.

In addition to these wagon views are 2 of the photographs from which the detail has been obtained.

These are of Lilleshall Running No 1 the 0-6-2 Taff Vale tank loco Works No 305 from 1895.

Plus Lilleshall Running No 11 the 0-6-0 Barclay works no 1486 of 1916.

post-31270-0-53464100-1497469373_thumb.jpg

post-31270-0-85431600-1497469375_thumb.jpg

post-31270-0-01298700-1497469377_thumb.jpg

post-31270-0-10077200-1497469627_thumb.jpg

post-31270-0-54720400-1497469728_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Dumb buffered wagons rubbing buffers with 16T steel mineral wagons - wasn't expecting to see that!

In a similar vein, the wagons on the west somorset mineral railway had sprung buffers at one end and wooden dumb buffers at the other, so did their box tank engines!