Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

What could they possibly get wrong with an 040 to make DCC wiring difficult, a 10 year old could figure out the wiring, or have Dapol managed to get an 040 wrong before....

Well, if your name is "adrianbs", there'll be plenty of wrongness to spot.....  :jester:

The thing is will this stay at this price, taking into account that this model is some time away from hitting the shops.

I have one on order with Hatton's and was a little shocked to see the model had gone up by £30.00, if this model go's up again in price then I will be thinking very hard about getting one, it's only an 0-4-0 and being over £100.00 is getting a little on the steep side.

Edited by darren01

Well, the price of the Beattie was high, and still is from DJ, they are setting high standards for themselves, if followed through.

A £25 Loco in 1970, which was average for a medium sized loco, would with inflation be about a Minium of £340 and up to £700 on some comparison scales. Lets take the lowesr figure, £100 is a third of what was paid then approx. Average wage then about £40,  current estimates from Whitehall are £500 per week, but dependant on the job, with vast qualifications.

Every thing is relative as to whether you can afford it, but the figures do suggest most locos are a bit of a bargain........and show why we rely on Cheap Chinese factories.

I can't remember exactly what we sold a Triang Jinty at in 1970, but it is sobering to realise the Dapol loco will actually cost less in real terms

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog

A worked more exact example, would be the Jinty at 31shillings and 7d in late 1960's, which at the lowest current value is £108,  ( but as high in the inflation range as £250), so the Dapol loco is a bargain!

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog

One price I do know, was a pint of beer in 1968, in a Bletchley pub, 2 shillings, and that now ranges in inflation value these days from £1.45 to £3.99, so beer is about the same in pubs at the high end, and about the same in supermarkets at the low end..............

Stephen.

• 1 month later...

One price I do know, was a pint of beer in 1968, in a Bletchley pub, 2 shillings, and that now ranges in inflation value these days from £1.45 to £3.99, so beer is about the same in pubs at the high end, and about the same in supermarkets at the low end..............

Stephen.

Can't say I've ever drunk a pint in a supermarket ...................................................... maybe in an EX-supermarket called Wetherspoons p'raps ?

• RMweb Gold

Can't say I've ever drunk a pint in a supermarket ...................................................... maybe in an EX-supermarket called Wetherspoons p'raps ?

Canary Wharf Waitrose has a bar and a couple of restaurants in store.

Rock up, grab a pint (they prefer you to have wine) and a bite to eat, leave your trolley with you.

Edited by adb968008

Stephen.

You can pay £4.50+ for a pint in central London :(

• RMweb Gold

You can pay £4.50+ for a pint in central London :(

sadly I've see this to be the average side.. I paid (or rather my company paid) £8 at London City Airport.

Felt like keeping the glass at that price.. but the security scanner says no.

sadly I've see this to be the average side.. I paid (or rather my company paid) £8 at London City Airport.

Felt like keeping the glass at that price.. but the security scanner says no.

Couldn't find anything worth drinking at London City when I was unfortunate enough to have to fly from there in May : what other UK mainland airport hasn't got a Wetherspoons ? ......... and why on earth are there no flights to Belfast City from Gatwick now ? .......................................................... and what's this got to do with B4 dock tanks anyway ?

I'm unaware of the B4 ever being turned out in SR green although am happy to proved wrong. Any thoughts from anyone?

Only just returned to this subject to see what is happening - if anything - as no-one appears to have come back to you in the absence of other info I can recommend a monograph by Peter Cooper on the B4s (Kingfisher Railway Productions - ISBN 0 946184 38 0  was £4.95) that not only details the locations including those sold out to industry but also  buried in the text  are references to SR black with green lining (up to 1935 approx), NCB colours and taylor woodrow green, as well as Harbour docks Brown, and a photo of No 90 in "a LSWR" livery. I put inverted commas as it looks very pale indeed !!. There does not appear to be a reference to them being painted in SR Green but no doubt someone else will confirm this one way or the other as it appears to be one of the options (4S-018-003) offered by Dapol.  

There does not appear to be a reference to them being painted in SR Green but no doubt someone else will confirm this one way or the other as it appears to be one of the options (4S-018-003) offered by Dapol.  

Thought I'd seen a post from Graham Muz on this - but it doesn't seem to be on this thread .......... anyway, a certain Cornish supplier is advertising this loco in Southern black lined in green - and I guess that's what the other stockists will get in due course ........................... and talking of due course - has anyone heard anything about progress in the last few aeons ?

Thought I'd seen a post from Graham Muz on this - but it doesn't seem to be on this thread .......... anyway, a certain Cornish supplier is advertising this loco in Southern black lined in green - and I guess that's what the other stockists will get in due course ........................... and talking of due course - has anyone heard anything about progress in the last few aeons ?

I think that lochlongside has misread the Dapol description for 4S-018-003.  This says "SR lined black", i.e. with green lining. All of the class, apart from those at Soton Docks, were painted in this livery in SR days.  I have looked through Bradley and there is no reference to any being painted green,  I looked on the Net for the P. Cooper Monograph mentioned, but the best price was 25.00 GBP!   In terms of delivery, the latest I heard from my supplier was back n February when I was told "Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between November 2016 & December 2016"  What would be a nice variant is one of those based at Plymouth (Friary) and fitted with the spark arrester .

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't find anything worth drinking at London City when I was unfortunate enough to have to fly from there in May : what other UK mainland airport hasn't got a Wetherspoons ? ......... and why on earth are there no flights to Belfast City from Gatwick now ? .......................................................... and what's this got to do with B4 dock tanks anyway ?

Well London City Airport is in the remains of the docks -wrong docks for B4s though. But you must have led a sheltered life - I can think of Norwich, East Midlands, Humberside, Newcastle, Cardiff, Bristol, Newquay, Dundee, Inverness, Southend, Southampton, Prestwick, Bournemouth, Leeds-Bradford, Durham Tees Valley airports as UK mainland airports which are Wetherspoon-free zones. Useful info for anyone modelling an airport, and perhaps Southampton has the required B4 connection and adjacent LSWR line.

Edited to add: and Blackpool, Campbeltown. In fact airports with Wetherspoons are in the minority - though perhaps not by passenger throughput.

Edited by Andy W

Well London City Airport is in the remains of the docks -wrong docks for B4s though. But you must have led a sheltered life - I can think of Norwich, East Midlands, Humberside, Newcastle, Cardiff, Bristol, Newquay, Dundee, Inverness, Southend, Southampton, Prestwick, Bournemouth, Leeds-Bradford, Durham Tees Valley airports as UK mainland airports which are Wetherspoon-free zones. Useful info for anyone modelling an airport, and perhaps Southampton has the required B4 connection and adjacent LSWR line.

Edited to add: and Blackpool, Campbeltown. In fact airports with Wetherspoons are in the minority - though perhaps not by passenger throughput.

Yes, I try to shelter myself from airports as much as possible - and railway stations that think they're airports : can't remember whether there's a 'spoons at St.Pancreas ??!?

I think that lochlongside has misread the Dapol description for 4S-018-003.  This says "SR lined black", i.e. with green lining. All of the class, apart from those at Soton Docks, were painted in this livery in SR days.  I have looked through Bradley and there is no reference to any being painted green,  I looked on the Net for the P. Cooper Monograph mentioned, but the best price was 25.00 GBP!   In terms of delivery, the latest I heard from my supplier was back n February when I was told "Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between November 2016 & December 2016"  What would be a nice variant is one of those based at Plymouth (Friary) and fitted with the spark arrester .

Hi GB

– Ref model 4s-018-003 I think you may well be right – I only remember these in black and that is what I have ordered (from Rails) but I was sure I had seen it advertised in green. :senile: On double-checking Hattons supply the B4 your black lined in green livery – but MRD and Rails are (still?) advertising this in SR green so possibly it was changed by Dapol at some stage!!. ...Oh well in a spirit of pursuing knowledge I go to Dapol site ‘cos they will know – complete waste of time – once I found the search button (disguised under their Digest logo) :banghead:  it wouldn’t recognise loco number, any B4 name or ref nos, and disliked B4 totally. – those who have slated the Hornby site would have field day with this site!! But I tend to agree with you – Hattons probably has it right!!

WRT the real loco livery I am no expert and am going only by the Cooper monograph (Graham Muspratt may be able to comment on how authoritative it is ) but on rereading-  at page 18 it says …….

“ On taking ownership of engines in 1923 the Southern Railway painted the non-docks ‘B4s’  in its standard good livery of black , with a single line …… …. In 1935 this was replaced by plain unlined black.

The Docks engines , however were treated as a special case. . Receiving attention only in the Docks in the 1920s, their lined green (essentially LSWR) livery appears to have given way to an unlined dark green; perhaps this followed local repaints  in the Docks, where there may not have been the means to perform elaborate lining jobs. ……. But in 1933 Eastleigh began to look after them again, and as they emerged from general overhauls there in the mid and late 1930s they received a unique livery of dark chocolate brown , with a single red line; the dark brown, however, invariably appeared black within a very few weeks.”

At this point I hand over to the experts :jester:  .....What with stovepipe chimneys, Drummond and Adams boilers spark arrestors, linseed filtrators, two styles of cab and homemade wooden cab side-sheets spread across a mere 25 locos in the interwar years  I am really glad I like post-war BR black!!

You have discovered the delights of Dapol internet site, a place of dead ends and convoluted turns, just like their ordering system from China, and the common factor is Dapol, nice chaps, but little grasp of a webpage or basic price list, which I have a feeling is hidden away in case it reveals what is not available.....It is worrying that they spend so much time on the new super models promised without sorting out the basic supply line to their warehouse from China.

The UK stuff like ex- Kitmaster & Airfix is delivered OK, but the site needs information on the models, they do not sell themselves. The stuff that does sell from China has interminable delays.with lots of drawings and little else, doubt the B4 will be here next year let alone this......

Stephen

You have discovered the delights of Dapol internet site, a place of dead ends and convoluted turns, just like their ordering system from China, and the common factor is Dapol, nice chaps, but little grasp of a webpage or basic price list, which I have a feeling is hidden away in case it reveals what is not available.....It is worrying that they spend so much time on the new super models promised without sorting out the basic supply line to their warehouse from China.

The UK stuff like ex- Kitmaster & Airfix is delivered OK, but the site needs information on the models, they do not sell themselves. The stuff that does sell from China has interminable delays.with lots of drawings and little else, doubt the B4 will be here next year let alone this......

Stephen

Rumour has it that the Dock Tanks will be docking next week ! ..................................... not the B4s, though, but USA class.

• Like 1