Minimum space O gauge layout

marc smith

What a smashing little layout Marc and full of character and inspiration. After this excellent example, "I haven't got room for '0' gauge" is not an excuse!

I will be moving house shortly so not much modelling going on here but when I do I will be re-visiting your thread for inspiration.

Thank you.

Willy

Marc,

This is super! The scenery and weathering of the stock is particularily fantastic. I like a few others, have greatly admired your Hendre Lane. I look forward to seeing this (and Hendre Lane, while I mention it) - let us know when and where. Are you by chance, showing at the next RMWeb get-together at Taunton?

Hi Mudmagnet,

Thanks for the compliment.

Hendre Lane will be appearing at Railex South West this year, and at DEMU showcase...

...I'm looking forward to both of those.

I may also take it along to the Big September event in Swindon

(I've been asked by the organiser for a Western Region Diesel layout, I offered this O gauge, but he seemed more interested in 4mm stuff as he saw Hendre at Penarth last year - maybe I'll take "Bracty" aka "The Crate / Roath Minor" instead?)

Originally, I had intended to bring the crate along to the rmweb Taunton day (an event I cannot praise enough!)

but the good Captain K asked me to bring this O gauge one along too.......

I only have one controller, but I may run the crate, and have the O gauge on a table beside me,

with a few bits of stock sat on it......

So I'll hopefully sdee you there - be sure to come & say hello.

Marc :D

Quick question -

What type of track did you use? It looks handmade to me because of the sleeper colouring.

Hi Ian,

The track is just plain old Peco out of the box.

I've cut away the "webbing" on the flexi-track, as I do in 4mm.

This can show, even after ballasting, weathering etc.

Also, in a rather run-down yard such as this, sleepers were'nt always laid with that much care.....

...especially when replaced - spacing was'nt so much the critical issue of a main line.

So I've deliberately made spacing uneven in places.

I weathered the track, as always, with a light coat of etch primer, then red-oxide primer (Halfords).

Then weathered wity aerosol sleeper grime + frame dirt.

I always try to wipe stray paint away from the surface of the sleepers, but theres always quite a bit of paint,

where you don't want it....

....this means you usually have to paint the sleepers. This doesn't take too long though - I usually paint several, in random fashion, with one colour. Then I mix a slightly different shade, and pick out some of the others, in similar random fashion.

As these are drying, I sometimes add a wash of either black, brown, or grey. Acrylic paints seem to blend together nicely, if you get the timing right (they dry very quickly mind you!).

I know painting sleepers in this way sounds time consuming, but it really isn't too bad (on a small layout anyway)

But out of the box, I find they look a bit shiny and plastic-like.

Marc

• RMweb Gold

Execellent work. The scenic sector plate is a good idea. If you are shunting a few wagons the loco could spend more time the far side of the bridge and would hardly be seen with a hidden sector plate.

Donw

really impressive Marc. Any chance of a photo of the sector plate in place and being used please-I can't visualise it.

Thanks

Ed

Hi Ed,

As of yet, both layout and sector plate are wired, but I need to finish the base and pivot on the sector....

..plus a few things on the main board. Rest assured, I will post some pics when I've finished.

It's really going to look like a sectional layout, but one of the sections will act as a fiddle yard.

Hopefully, the Captains invitation to the Taunton day will spur me on to get it all done!

No further news on the layout,

but since the good Captain has invited me to bring it to Taunton,

I've been frantically installing Spratt & Winkle couplings.

I'd previously just built all wagons with 3 link,

but I really do feel the need for automatic uncoupling.

The 7mm versions do look a little on the large side,

but they're much easier and less fiddly to install in 7mm, than in 4mm.

I think they won't look too obtrusive once painted etc.

Also installed sound into the 08 -

a SWD chip, and bass-reflex speaker.....

I think it sounds awesome!....

.....must stop looking at it idling away on the layout,

and get some modelling done......

Marc

Wow this is great a real small space o gauge layout cant wait to see it at taunton could we have some more pics please.

cheers

Hi Mr Todd,

I'm frantically trying to sort couplings etc out - then I must finish the layout!

But of course, I'll post pics as soon as...

The invite to Taunton certainly has bucked my ideas up -

I was dithering with this layout a bit to be honest...

...now I'm just trying to get it nearer to being finished.....

Cheers :D

Marc

Hi Marc

Looks very good, have you seen these couplings before: Winterley couplings I have a set for 4mm and I know Dave of cramdin yard has used them as its his video on this guys site. The soldering will be much easier I suspect in 7mm.

hth

Hi Dave,

Thanks, glad you like the layout.

I have seen these couplings a couple of times - but don't think I've seen them in 7mm.

Now I've started with the spratt & winkles, I'll carry on with them for now.....

...they seem ok so far.....

Hi marc what are the dates you will be showing at tauton as theres a couple of shows on in tauton as id love to see this layout.

cheers

Hi Mr Todd!

I'm bringing my crate layout (Bracty Bridge / Roath Minor) plus this little O gauge layout to the South West area rmweb members day - Sunday 25th April, in Staplegrove Village hall, Taunton.

SWAG group rmweb members day

It's a great event, and I can reccomend it, if you haven't been.

The good Captain K organises it, and it's so good I'd travel from Cardiff, even if I wasn't bringing a layout along! :D

Hope to see you there.....

Also, I'm at Railex South West (Taunton) this year, with Hendre Lane.

Again, if you can make it come & say hello.

Cheers :D

Marc

Just come across this layout... superlatives fail me!!! I have a few small O scale layouts myself (one about the same size as this, not built by me) but seeing this does make me think I might as well just give up now...!!!

Hello Marc,

Just stumbled back onto RMWeb for the first time this year (!) & this little gem was one of the first things I've found! Lovely job again - that 08 looks far too real to be a model....!! :P :D

Lovely job all round - again!

Cheers

Keith

What a superb bit of railway modelling. By the way, is Artizan allowed to use words like "detritus"?:unsure::D

That ground cover has to be some of the most realistic I have seen. It makes me realize - I need to try harder.

Inspirational.

Thanks guys!

And welcome back Keefr!......

Yes Mr B Rabbit - it was the bit of board I had next to "Bracty Bridge" at the Cardiff show.

I didn't really do too much to it, until quite recently.

Since its' invite to the Taunton rmweb members day - I've done a bit more.....

...I'm currently making the "framing" around the front of the main board,

and I'm hoping to make the sliding base for the sector-plate over the coming weekend -

Then I'll be able to link the two bits, and I'll take some photos as promised,

so you can see what the concept of the scenic sector plate looks like....

.....I'm hoping this works, and that movement of the plate can be disguised...

- I've got another future plan depending on it!

M :D

• RMweb Gold

Marc,

only just found this post - another cracking example of what can be achieved in a small space. Its very tempting indeed to start a small O gauge layout after seeing this, but the cost of some of the rolling stock is a bit out of range at present, and with 2 x 2mm and one 4mm layout already in construction, I suspect the Divorce Lawyer will be visiting!

In terms of your sectorplate, I would be inclined to leave as is, as the 'front of house' v 'back of house' part of a layout seems to be part of the norm and I always enjoy to have a good nose at fiddleyards at exhibitions and for me, adding a touch of green would not add anything.

Anymore photos of the layout in BR blue mode?!!

Pete

Marc,

only just found this post - another cracking example of what can be achieved in a small space. Its very tempting indeed to start a small O gauge layout after seeing this, but the cost of some of the rolling stock is a bit out of range at present, and with 2 x 2mm and one 4mm layout already in construction, I suspect the Divorce Lawyer will be visiting!

In terms of your sectorplate, I would be inclined to leave as is, as the 'front of house' v 'back of house' part of a layout seems to be part of the norm and I always enjoy to have a good nose at fiddleyards at exhibitions and for me, adding a touch of green would not add anything.

Anymore photos of the layout in BR blue mode?!!

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the kind words.....

I had just the same temptations as yourself re modelling in different scales + gauges...

In fact, I currently have stock in 6!!!!!

SWMBO gets increasingly anxious, but I do try to hide some of it......

...and evry now & then, have a bit of a clear-out :(

Re the fiddle / sector-plate - I've already "scenicked" it, and it's something I wanted to try out -

I just thought that for those short on space, it could be another useful technique,

and O is normally so large......

but I could always change it later, or build another one - my intention was always that this layout could be expanded,

by adding another board anyway (if time ever allows, let alone space!)

Cheers again

Archived