Pencarne, = BLT from page 54

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Looks good Andy. Good luck with the new layout.

A few observations if I may.

The crossover on the lift out section would possibly be a trailing rather than facing one although I recognise that this prevents trains running from the outer of the double track section into the inner of the three through platforms. A trailing crossover would also simplify any signalling.

Prototypically you would need trap points in the yard and on the headshunt to protect (passenger) trains using the innermost platform. You would possibly need something similar at the end of the branch in case the branch train failed to stop at the home signal.

A trap point would be required on the exit from the cattle dock siding and at the (shed door) end of the goods yard sidings to protect movements leaving the innermost of the three platforms.

The inclusion of trap points on a layout are a matter of choice and many layouts don't include them.

Apologies for throwing these comments in the pot so early on.

• Like 1

Looks good Andy. Good luck with the new layout.

A few observations if I may.

The crossover on the lift out section would possibly be a trailing rather than facing one although I recognise that this prevents trains running from the outer of the double track section into the inner of the three through platforms. A trailing crossover would also simplify any signalling.

Prototypically you would need trap points in the yard and on the headshunt to protect (passenger) trains using the innermost platform. You would possibly need something similar at the end of the branch in case the branch train failed to stop at the home signal.

A trap point would be required on the exit from the cattle dock siding and at the (shed door) end of the goods yard sidings to protect movements leaving the innermost of the three platforms.

The inclusion of trap points on a layout are a matter of choice and many layouts don't include them.

Apologies for throwing these comments in the pot so early on.

Thanks Ray,

Firstly the facing crossovers are in so that stock can access the branch direct for the Trewenn / Bodmin / Plymouth service, the distant and junction signals will be beyond the viaduct / scenic section, i.e. in the mind of the viewer.

Re the Trap points, They will be installed, its just that I couldn't fit them on the Plan without it looking cluttered and untidy.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

That looks great Andy, not only the track layout, but also the opportunity for scenic work as well, a nice touch of railway-in-the-landscape.

Looking forward to this very much.

Al.

Looks good Andy,

All the best mate. Will you be running some of your blue diesels on the the layout when you feel like it?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, yes I will but NOT as is prototypical, I will be running from the 68 ish Transission Period i.e end of Steam with Blue Coaches, Green and Blue Hydraulics and into the Blue period BUT with Brown Vans etc, but with Tops numbering which I know is wrong, but all my Blue stock is Tops and will remain that way.

I am not being shoe horned into corners this time, I like Blue, I like Tops and I like Brown Vans etc.

• Like 6

It was a wet and wild night down in deepest Cornwall. The last down train had deposited its motley group of travellers from Paddington over an hour late. Some "cheeky chappie" had pulled the communication cord near Dawlish Warren, hence delaying the journey.

Looking across at the island platform, expectations were high that the last local train of the day to Trewenn had been held for their connection. But the platform was deserted, save for a porter locking-up the waiting room. "The local's gone some 30 minutes since" he said, "we can't hold it for townies like yourselves".

The passengers deceide to stay the night on the station. "But you can't stay here" protested the porter. "Why ever not", asked the passengers, "surely the station isn't haunted?"

"Ah, but that's where you're wrong" said the porter and he recounted to them the story of old Ted Isaccs. He was driving up from Trewenn, near Masons Lane, when the bridge was washed out and his train was swept down into the nearby rock stream. Though no trains run to Trewenn after 11pm, on the 14th of July on the stroke of midnight, a train can be heard rumbling along down in the valley.

"If it be a natural thing, where do it come from? Where do it go?"

Utter tosh said the passengers, as they settled down for the night in the waiting room.

But soon, on a church tower four short miles away down the valley towards Trewenn, the bells were striking 12 midnight. A strange throbbing noise could be distinctly heard and a bright light was slowly coming along the branch line. "What's the date today? asked one of the passengers. "Well it's the 14th of ......."

The noise got loader and louder until out of the tunnel emerged a DBS Class 66 hauling a string of CDA china-clay wagons.

Everyone screamed.

The porter was right after all. This place is haunted as we're in the 1930s..........

(With apologies to Arnold Ridley)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

One important point Andy - you've got the signalbox in the wrong place.  Unless there is anything which physically prevents it going there it should be as near as possible to the main concentration of pointwork - put it there and it looks right, put it elsewhere and it would look wrong.  So really it needs to be where the parcels bay joins the running line - there's space there (with a bit of scenic changing) and it would look right as it would overlook the major concentration of point ends.

Lots of trap points to add (dummies no doubt - just as good as working ones in my view)  but that apart the track layout looks pretty good to me although I'm not entirely sure about the headshunt - why not just use the branch as a headshunt or is it going to be very busy?

• Like 1

Not sure whether to post this or not.

Oh well.....

post-6880-0-75007900-1436916393.jpg

* Nothing "wrong" with facing crossover at London end of station.

* If the down bay isn't for passengers, then there's your one (and only) trap point at "T" - if you slightly re-arrange yard access.

* Locate headshunt on other side of branch, so yard can be shunted whilst branch trains run.

* Relocate signalbox at country end of station so that signalman can receive branch single-line token easily without having to cross over the main running lines.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I like the track plan Andy. The facing crossover does keep the movements on scene and is not unknown especially where passenger trains are involved. Regarding the headshunt whilst you could use the branch I think it will be a handy place to get the loco shunting the yard out of they way while a passenger runs in. Often in country stations there was a quiet period while the yard was shunted we tend to cut out the quiet period. Routing the Newquay trains through here is intended to make it fairly busy.

I am looking forward to your scenic treatment.

Incidentally the major difference, apart from the setting, is that here we have a junction both on the main lines and a branch much more opportunities for traffic and station working.

Don

• Like 3

One important point Andy - you've got the signalbox in the wrong place.  Unless there is anything which physically prevents it going there it should be as near as possible to the main concentration of pointwork - put it there and it looks right, put it elsewhere and it would look wrong.  So really it needs to be where the parcels bay joins the running line - there's space there (with a bit of scenic changing) and it would look right as it would overlook the major concentration of point ends.

Lots of trap points to add (dummies no doubt - just as good as working ones in my view)  but that apart the track layout looks pretty good to me although I'm not entirely sure about the headshunt - why not just use the branch as a headshunt or is it going to be very busy?

Thanks Mike, I will move the Signal Box and do away with the one by the Viaduct, it was where it was, because it covered the over centre board joining clip, but I can use something else to cover that.

I will do away with the Head Shunt, my original plan didn't have one but I thought it needed one, so that will un clutter that area a bit as well.

Thanks for your input.

• Like 3

Oh well.....

attachicon.gifFile2065.jpg

* If the down bay isn't for passengers, then there's your one (and only) trap point at "T" - if you slightly re-arrange yard access.

* Locate headshunt on other side of branch, so yard can be shunted whilst branch trains run.

* Relocate signalbox at country end of station so that signalman can receive branch single-line token easily without having to cross over the main running lines.

Some nice ideas there Peter, in my plan the point leaving platform  3 for Bodmin will act as the catch point and have a sand drag, I will see how the head shunt direct off the yard works, but from memory there isn't enough length in the yard to incorporate that point.

I will have a look later and report my findings back to the Pencarne Control Board. hhaha 

Thanks for your input Peter.

• Like 1

I like the track plan Andy. The facing crossover does keep the movements on scene and is not unknown especially where passenger trains are involved. Regarding the headshunt whilst you could use the branch I think it will be a handy place to get the loco shunting the yard out of they way while a passenger runs in. Often in country stations there was a quiet period while the yard was shunted we tend to cut out the quiet period. Routing the Newquay trains through here is intended to make it fairly busy.

I am looking forward to your scenic treatment.

Incidentally the major difference, apart from the setting, is that here we have a junction both on the main lines and a branch much more opportunities for traffic and station working.

Don

Morning Don, thanks for all your help in the pre planning / basic idea of the Newquay Route etc. The plan is for some Wadebridge traffic to deliver and collect Vans and even some Passenger traffic from the Station whilst the Bodmin / Newquay Route has through traffic.

There is also the question of the China Clay workings from Wenford Bridge, In my plan it'll run to Padstow Docks, I'm not sure if it actually did that or if it went to Fowey, but it gives me more running around / shunting at Pencarne.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Not "wrong" but rather unusual. Even quite large junctions such as Bodmin Road did not have facing access onto the branch. Passengers had to change trains and goods were shunted.

Hello Buddy, Right or wrong its looking good to me, you go for it mate, great stuff, when you have it running l will bring my stock down for running in, keep the pictures coming......

Morning Mate, yes now looking forward to a running session, be it the Bulleids or Westerns or the Blue or Railfreight 37's or 56's, behind closed doors, who cares.

• Like 4

Just a note, I wanted to base this plan in my beloved Devon, with its wonderful rolling Green hills etc, but I also wanted plenty of China Clay traffic as well so I have opted for an area of Cornwall that is also very dear to me. My Parents lived near  Wadebridge at Chapel Amble towards the end of the War and just after, and they would go to Wadebridge to dances on a Saturday Night and sometimes into Bodmin via the Train, so the area has some nice local Family history for me as my Parents loved the area. I just wish they'd stayed in Cornwall, I might still be there today eating my favourite Tidyoggy and having some real Ice Cream.

Mum and Dad also had their Honeymoon in Jamaca Inn on Bodmin Moor during the War as Dad's Uncle was the Land Lord at the time.

I also have a Relative that was deported to Australia from Bodmin Jail, he's mentioned in Ned Kellys book. :O  Rum lot the Peters Clan :nono:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 7

Morning Andy.

Just some more ramblings - tell me to "shut up"if you don't want any of my thoughts. I'm very mindful that it's your layout.....

* I see a lot of Par in Andy's layout plan - that has a facing crossover at the London end and a trailing one at the other

* The layout of the yard - its sidings and loops etc - is probably the most important element to get right. Main running lines are the easy bit

* Have another think about the signalbox location - see where it's situated at Par (and St Erth too) - in the "V" between main and branch

• Like 1