KERNOW TODAY

Hi

GBRF had a loco in the area on driver training so went to see what I could see.....

These pictures taken from the bridge outside Tesco Pool.

First up an unidentified IEP on the IA84 Penzance Paddington AT 10.2

IMG_2032.resized.JPG.d0c08786a00c1be2b9afa8cd10e29f63.JPG

Followed by the GBRF driver training loco OZ61 Plymouth to Penzance at 10.34.

The loco was 59003 Yeoman Highlander.....The first 59 I can remember seeing....

IMG_2034.resized.JPG.0f336d657599befa1461425a91c663aa.JPG

IMG_2036.resized.JPG.99fb031d21af1f4ddb06caa81fbd0b42.JPG

This was then followed by2x 158's on the late running 2C07 Bristol to Penzance at 11.00

IMG_2042.resized.JPG.c18072da55dd5af638bb71e5e67d3bfa.JPG

IMG_2045.resized.JPG.5b1324e8ee0f911622bb6000b898dbb3.JPG

Cheers Bill

• Like 5

Hi again

As the return trip was quite soon I popped round to Cooks Kitchen bridge to await it......

Running slightly early as the OZ62 59003 passed at about 11.53 on her way from Penzance back to Plymouth

IMG_2047.resized.JPG.01e4bfbf348920f586b798274cea5602.JPG

IMG_2048.resized.JPG.a58ce2b318a2de2041db0cb6a6a56387.JPG

IMG_2050.resized.JPG.a4cb7519a306d0b0b38a2c083c3c938a.JPG

I then waited a few minutes for 2C19 Exeter to Penzance which was made up of 3 car 158957......

IMG_2053.resized.JPG.7283b797a3ec77c07140a724f1cbf0b8.JPG

IMG_2055.resized.JPG.8241f1d36984a73e35ece4bdfad03aa2.JPG

Although there is due another run later & I believe again tomorrow I probably won't get to see them.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Helstonnorthroad said:

GBRF no.59003 at Penzance working 1Z64 Plymouth to Penzance driver training run 14/07/21

IMG_1230200000000000000000000.JPG

Anyone know what these training runs are for?

David

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Learning the road presumably.

Perhaps I should have been clearer. As far as I am aware the only freight business west of Plymouth is the china clay which is operated by DB. 59003 is a GB Railfreight loco which led me to wonder if there may be new freight business on the horizon.  However GBRf do specialize in route learning so they could be training drivers from another company who need to learn the road which may or may not be for freight business.

David

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

2 hours ago, DavidLong said:

Perhaps I should have been clearer. As far as I am aware the only freight business west of Plymouth is the china clay which is operated by DB. 59003 is a GB Railfreight loco which led me to wonder if there may be new freight business on the horizon.  However GBRf do specialize in route learning so they could be training drivers from another company who need to learn the road which may or may not be for freight business.

David

Training GBRF drivers for civil engineers trains in the duchy the last few GBRF runs into Cornwall have been with colas drivers.

Heard nothing about new freight contracts in Cornwall expect for the potential change of TOC for the clay  

• Informative/Useful 3

Upcoming engineering trains to the duchy 

Wednesday 21st July GBRF to burngullow via Penzance 

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U36908/2021-07-21/detailed

Return to westbury Thursday 22nd July 

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U36909/2021-07-22/detailed

Friday 23rd July 1819 Westbury Down T.C. to Lostwithiel Down Gds Loop DB cargo service 

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U36933/2021-07-23/detailed

Saturday 24th July 1825 Westbury Down T.C. to Lostwithiel Down Gds Loop 
DB cargo service 

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U36935/2021-07-24/detailed

Sunday 25th

1309 Lostwithiel to Westbury Down T.C. DB cargo service 

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U36936/2021-07-25/detailed

6G70 1037 Westbury Down T.C. to Lostwithiel Down Gds Loop GBRF

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U36931/2021-07-25/detailed

1340 Lostwithiel to Westbury Down T.C. DB cargo service

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U36934/2021-07-25/detailed

6G70 0835 Lostwithiel to Westbury Down T.C GBRF 

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U36932/2021-07-26/detailed

1716 Westbury Down T.C. to St Erth colas rail via Penzance 

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U36925/2021-07-26/detailed

0425 Camborne to Eastleigh East Yard colas rail 

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U36926/2021-07-27/detailed

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

As followers of this thread some of you will no doubt have already picked up on this, but just in case........agreement has been reached to restore St Blazey's turntable to working order (again!) In fact it's a 'restoration plus' project.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-railway-magazine/20210802/...

I walked around there this afternoon and brand new temporary sectional fencing has been erected around the outside of the well. A couple of ladders from the table into the well have also appeared. I'm 'well' placed to keep an eye on proceedings.....! The prospect of steam locos being turned not far from where I live will certainly stoke more interest in the current railway scene than I've mustered lately.......:)

I was also trying to identify the solitary CDA nearest the turntable, because I think it's first-built 375000, which spent at least a year parked with many others alongside St Blazey Road then was moved to be visible from the main depot (not yard) gate for a few weeks before being moved again out of view. Trying to confirm. If it is '000, does preservation beckon?

Neil

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Hi All, 

As followers of this thread some of you will no doubt have already picked up on this, but just in case........agreement has been reached to restore St Blazey's turntable to working order (again!) In fact it's a 'restoration plus' project.

I walked around there this afternoon and brand new temporary sectional fencing has been erected around the outside of the well. A couple of ladders from the table into the well have also appeared. I'm 'well' placed to keep an eye on proceedings.....! The prospect of steam locos being turned not far from where I live will certainly stoke more interest in the current railway scene than I've mustered lately.......:)

I was also trying to identify the solitary CDA nearest the turntable, because I think it's first-built 375000, which spent at least a year parked with many others alongside St Blazey Road then was moved to be visible from the main depot (not yard) gate for a few weeks before being moved again out of view. Trying to confirm. If it is '000, does preservation beckon?

Neil

The link doesn't work for me?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Hi All, 

Neil

That’s really great news, we are there quite often shopping in one of the several “shed” shops, always love to see the rails running into each shop and the turntable now being restored can only be good for the area.

In fact our new kitchen worktop will be formed and cut in the old workshops there come September, not sure it’ll smell of oil and smoke though. :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rab said:

The link doesn't work for me?

No, me neither! Probably just me so I've tried again using a different method - on my device tapping once doesn't work but touching for two seconds to bring up an 'Open' tab and using that does. See if it works for you:

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-railway-magazine/20210802/281672552980454

• Like 3

There's been an interest in such a project now for quite a while; on and off.  It obviously benefit tour train operators who offer trips to Cornwall without the need to go all the way back to Laira for turning.  Why trains weren't turned at Par  is a mystery as wyeing would be possible via the Newquay line, unless there is a pathing problem or similar.

Sadly none of the other ventures came to fruition, so hopefully this one will be more successful.:good:

Brian.

On 22/08/2021 at 22:39, Neil Phillips said:

Hi All, 

Neil

Neil,

The photo in that article is rather old, the single CDA behind is prototype 353224, ex HAA coal hopper which was preserved and moved a few years ago now....

The first built 375000 is still there in store, been pushed up from where it was. Should be visible from the road, it's right up next to the 'wash apron' in the line of stored examples running from the signalbox gate towards the traincrew block.

N

• Informative/Useful 2

This weeks china clay empties from the Potteries ran apx 10 hours late due to staffing issues.

Unusual to see the empties in the daylight, this meaning a nice long 18 wagon train. The loaded is restricted to 11 wagons to Exeter. 66125 at Dobwalls on Wednesday.

374A1855web.jpg.724177d0ffb848e287539193b96eede4.jpg

On arrival at St.Blazey the loco took three wagons straight into Par Harbour arriving apx 17:15. Giving this view, unusual to get the sun around the right side as this is usually a morning job.

374A1865.JPG.2b53199ad8033dc73e1b0653ad32380f.JPG

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, nat37670 said:

This weeks china clay empties from the Potteries ran apx 10 hours late due to staffing issues.

Unusual to see the empties in the daylight, this meaning a nice long 18 wagon train. The loaded is restricted to 11 wagons to Exeter. 66125 at Dobwalls on Wednesday.

On arrival at St.Blazey the loco took three wagons straight into Par Harbour arriving apx 17:15. Giving this view, unusual to get the sun around the right side as this is usually a morning job.

Hi

Thanks for posting those pictures....

I hadn't realised that the 'Par Shunt' as I call it was still operational....

Does it occur every Wednesday or as & when required?

I've seen it before but as you say it's normally a morning  job

On another tack I assume the other wagons went to Parkindillack/Treviscoe  though I had been told that that facility had been mothballed....

Thanks again for posting

Cheer Bill

• Like 2

1 minute ago, treggyman said:

Hi

Thanks for posting those pictures....

I hadn't realised that the 'Par Shunt' as I call it was still operational....

Does it occur every Wednesday or as & when required?

I've seen it before but as you say it's normally a morning  job

On another tack I assume the other wagons went to Parkindillack/Treviscoe  though I had been told that that facility had been mothballed....

Thanks again for posting

Cheer Bill

Hi,

Yes Parkandillack is currently out of use for rail loading. However Parkandillack is used on various systems (ie Real Time Trains) for any train going onto the Parkandillack Branch, Treviscoe is still in use as a loading point, but workings show as going to Parkandillack even though they don't!

So this week three JIA wagons were loaded at Par Harbour on Wednesday (my photo) then today, Thursday, another 8 were loaded at Treviscoe.

This is the usual weekly set up, two days of JIA loading Wednesday and Thursday at Par Harbour and Treviscoe but what day is where can swap. In both instances when things are normal the trains leaves St.Blazey after 07:00.

N

• Informative/Useful 5

19 hours ago, nat37670 said:

Neil,

The photo in that article is rather old, the single CDA behind is prototype 353224, ex HAA coal hopper which was preserved and moved a few years ago now....

The first built 375000 is still there in store, been pushed up from where it was. Should be visible from the road, it's right up next to the 'wash apron' in the line of stored examples running from the signalbox gate towards the traincrew block.

N

My apologies, I should have been clearer that I was referring to the present day, not the article although since you come to mention it the position of that CDA does look familiar from photos of a stored 353224 published elsewhere on RMweb (Hornby's very first CDA model was numbered 353224 and for years I thought they had it wrong.........until April 2000 when I spotted it in a rake of CDAs heading west through Lostwithiel! Wow, they had that number right all along! Then they mess up their most recent triple-pack release by numbering them as HAAs :nea:).

It has been a while since I walked along that road but noticed from the car that the vegetation has recently been cut back from the railway side so wagon identification should be easier now - I'll check it out!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nat37670 said:

I've just noticed this on the Cornwall Railway Society website - if only I'd known, as watching a Class 66 traverse this short but fascinating stretch of line is near the top of my To Do List! I was just up the road doing s*d all as well!!

Not only that, 66125 was the first 66 I ever saw, crossing the (recently replaced) bridge at Trewoon near Burngullow in August 1999 while my other half was in the Post Office there. Astonishing to see it looking almost exactly the same 22 years later..........the diesel-hydraulics looked like cr*p after just three :huh:

(I should mention that between 1975 and 2019 I was an exiled Cornishman so lineside visits were during family visits and holidays only).

• Friendly/supportive 1

A new look for the 127 at the helston railway yesterday sore the head code board fixed with 5H77 minor work to the roof and lots more painting including the gutters on the front of the DMU and a primer on the side ready for that to be painted into marroon 

also this week confirmation of the rumours of are heritage transport weekend taking place on the 11th and 12th of September with are steam trains running a shuttle service up and down the line to the new events field next to Truthall halt with classic cars traction engines and much more more details to follow through the website www.helstonrailway.co.uk and also through the helston railway Facebook page 

F8266D5B-2750-4A71-9215-908CB1D1A3FA.jpeg

2A457309-75B5-46DE-A60B-3805A45CC0AC.jpeg

225AE97C-19A6-48D2-BDE6-A2A24E9BAF3C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

It's nice to see the 127 getting a repaint but I don't like the colour that has been chosen. (However I have not contributed a penny towards it, my view doesn't really count a jot).

Edited by Kris
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Kris said:

It's nice to see the 127 getting a repaint but I don't like the colour that has been chosen. (However I have not contributed a penny towards it, my view doesn't really count a jot).

The 127 won’t be staying in that livery for long the rumour is it will be painted into chocolate and cream next year the marroon is just to make it look presentable for this running season 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1