Farish Std 4MT tank, 64xx and Pipe wagon images

Andy Y

I'll start saving up for some pipe wagons. 

The only 4MTTs in my modelling area were odd LTS ones running in from Darlington Works.  Maybe one for Croft Spa when it is built.  Hopefully by then they'll have ironed out any bugs.

Les

Too bad Hattons cancelled my 64xx pre-order as this is looking very nice indeed. I will just go to my local model shop this time I think.

Now, what livery to choose? GWR is possible but I would then have to run it with the Dapol autocoaches. Black with a crimson autocoach would be smart but I have already repainted a Dapol one in that livery. Lined green with a Maroon autocoach perhaps?  B)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having done some research I think 80119 will be the one for me; it was allocated to the North Eastern Region and its characteristics appear the same as those for the Eastern. I can see a re-numbering project to create one of the LTS locos.

As there were 41 of these locos built with a tablet-catching recess on the nearside, Bachmann have made a sensible decision to produce these. (80000-9/20-30/54-8/110-4/121-30) (Source: RCTS BR Standard Steam Locos Volume 3).

64xx looks a corker - the rapido will have to go from the front buffer beam and it can run with a Dapol auto coach until Farish get their diagram A38 out. If it's as good as the hawksworth coaches the auto trailer will be a peach.

(Our interests appear very similar Karhedron - I did a split head code d603 Conquest on MSL bogies around the same time you did your immeasurably superior D600 - and we're both Matts!). Gave up on my late 60s early 70s model of St Austell owing to painful progress resulting in me losing interest in the hobby. Now rekindled by a smaller more manageable interpretation of Tintern. In my world the bridges over the Wye were strengthened and paper works up the line took China clay from good old Kernow. (That'll allow me to justify a 63xx when they appear from DJM and maybe a Manor will get a look in).

I feel sure that you'd love Neil Parkhouse's West Gloucestershire and Wye Valley Lines if you haven't already seen it. A book that makes you yearn for a time machine! Western steam inspiration on every page.

All the best

Matt W

I am really happy that the 4MT Tank will incorporate a variant with a tablet-catcher I think it is a lovely touch. For the sake of fineness of detail I'm hoping it isn't removable but appreciate that's not what everyone wants. I think it is only the early-crest one that has this feature though?

Roy

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Factory finished samples of both the 4MT and the 64xx on display at Warley today. Both look superb, and are probably not that far off release now. 

post-1467-0-91133800-1448741135_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-74319400-1448741210_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-65587100-1448741282_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-00083900-1448741356_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-18805100-1448741404_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the iffy photos, both were on the whirling turntable of death!

Tom. 

Had a good look myself today, my pics aren't a patch on these though! I noticed that the tablet catcher appears to have been removed from the early crest version on display - a shame if so (I assume these are production examples), I thought it was a really neat touch and a first in N as far as I am aware.

64xxs are lovely and the Castle, even in 3D print looked stunning.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

That means I'll have to have both! I'd already opted for just 80119 as it could represent an LTS example.  Don't they look great? The long rapidos look truly awful once you've got used to buckeyes, especially on the 64XX.

• RMweb Gold

The finesse of the coupling rods caught my eye too Alan, which is slightly unfortunate as it makes the brake rigging look a little clunky, although it is still an improvement over the Dapol Pannier. 

There was no-one around to ask about release dates, but i'm guessing it'll be sometime in the next 2 months based on previous models. 

Tom. 

There was no-one around to ask about release dates, but i'm guessing it'll be sometime in the next 2 months based on previous models. 

Tom. 

May/June for the 64xx and March/April for the Standard 4 tank according to the Farish website.

Andy

What stands out about the Pannier is the fine fine nature of the coupling rods - they look some of the finest ever produced in N. Really adds to the look.

4MT looks wonderful too.

Any timescale on final release?

Cheers,

Alan

They do look good. But if they're going to fix the coupling rods, they should try and do something about the crankpins next. Then it really would look the works.

Chris

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

64xx's are now hitting the shops. I had a call from Kernow this afternoon to say that one that I had ordered was in stock and waiting for me to collect it. Hopefully that will be tomorrow. 

Archived