Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SM42 said:

Middle one Oxley again from Wolverhampton end of viaduct. Oxley chord line diverging to right in  foreground

First one Basford Hall South looking towards Stafford? (Sheer guess)

Last one Willesden?? again a guess

Andy

The second one is definitely Basford Hall, looking south.  

• RMweb Gold
Just now, DY444 said:

Agreed

I don't recall the gasometer but it is shown on a 1935 OS map when it stood in glorious isolation amid soon-to-be-developed fields.

The layout with an island platform just north of a level crossing is distinctive but, above all, one can see the junction of the Chessington branch.

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, iands said:

The signal plate details on the first is WN 86. Having looked at the Railway Codes website, there are a few nominations for "WN" but from the list I've dispelled with most and I'm going with either Warrington, Willesden or Wolverhampton.

That feels like the Wolverhampton WN.

I’ll consult my records and let you know where WN86 is and see if it fits.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SED Freightman said:

Could I make an alternative suggestion for this photo - A view looking south from the hump towards Sudbury Sdgs, with Sudbury Up Sdgs Shunting Frame and shunters accommodation, WCML off to the right and Stonebridge Park Carriage Sdgs to the left. 

100% agree that it is Sudbury Sdgs Up Shunting Frame on the right.  Very definitely not Bescot Down Yard.  And the carriege sidings on the left help to confim the Sudbury Sdgs location.

Compare with this view on Flickr -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ingythewingy/6825554905/in/photostream/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Yup, the gasometer featured in the landscape, being more or less opposite the "Unworked trailing points" sign on the upside Chessy junction. 

Yes, just a memory fail on my part with regard to the gasometers.

Old-maps also shows a miniature railway in the grounds of the BBC Sports Club which I was not aware of.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

That feels like the Wolverhampton WN.

I’ll consult my records and let you know where WN86 is and see if it fits.

Paul.

The diagram I have of Wolverhampton has WN86 as a GPL on one of the up side sidings at Wolverhampton station.  In fact the only running signal I can find on Wolverhampton panel which is not on an electrified line is WN34 on the Down Oxley Chord.

The signal structures used on the Warrington, Preston and Carlisle panel schemes are quite distinctive and so my guess this one is from an earlier scheme.  If it isn't Wolverhampton then it seems most likely to me that it is a Willesden signal

Edited by DY444
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

100% agree that it is Sudbury Sdgs Up Shunting Frame on the right.  Very definitely not Bescot Down Yard.  And the carriege sidings on the left help to confim the Sudbury Sdgs location.

Compare with this view on Flickr -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ingythewingy/6825554905/in/photostream/

Thanks Mike.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, DY444 said:

The diagram I have of Wolverhampton has WN86 as a GPL on one of the up side sidings at Wolverhampton station.  In fact the only running signal I can find on Wolverhampton panel which is not on an electrified line is WN34 on the Down Oxley Chord.

Thanks DY444, in that case the location might not be in the West Midlands.

29 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I don't recall the gasometer but it is shown on a 1935 OS map when it stood in glorious isolation amid soon-to-be-developed fields.

The layout with an island platform just north of a level crossing is distinctive but, above all, one can see the junction of the Chessington branch.

27 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Yup, the gasometer featured in the landscape, being more or less opposite the "Unworked trailing points" sign on the upside Chessy junction. 

16 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Yes, just a memory fail on my part with regard to the gasometers.

Old-maps also shows a miniature railway in the grounds of the BBC Sports Club which I was not aware of.

The gasometers are still there (or at least the framing is).

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, iands said:

And the final two photos. The signal plate details on the first is WN 86. Having looked at the Railway Codes website, there are a few nominations for "WN" but from the list I've dispelled with most and I'm going with either Warrington, Willesden or Wolverhampton.

The second one is not West Midlands, but no doubt someone will know where it is. A few clues (assuming the photograph is taken from the end of a platform), a nearby level crossing with barriers and signal box, crossing is at an angle, the gas holder, oh, and it's in 3rd rail territory.

IMG00013-2.jpg.474dc93aa06f79c30ca01615f2824f6f.jpg

My first thought was Tipton area towards Birmingham, with a route indicator for the Princes End branch, but did Wolves box beat the OLE?

Did the branch still exist at the same time as Wolves PSB?

Beaten me with this one

Andy

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, DY444 said:

The signal structures used on the Warrington, Preston and Carlisle panel schemes are quite distinctive and so my guess this one is from an earlier scheme.  If it isn't Wolverhampton then it seems most likely to me that it is a Willesden signal

Agreed, not a Warrington Signal. Even if it were, it would be near Springs Branch

33 minutes ago, iands said:

Thanks DY444, in that case the location might not be in the West Midlands.

True, but Willesden 86 was on the Down Goods and had SI not PLJI.

17 minutes ago, SM42 said:

My first thought was Tipton area towards Birmingham, with a route indicator for the Princes End branch, but did Wolves box beat the OLE?

Did the branch still exist at the same time as Wolves PSB?

Beaten me with this one

Andy

Getting close!  Like you, the backdrop is characteristic of the hills south of the BHM WVL Line.  I also wondered about before electrification.

Then I noticed the church tower and a quick Google/Apple Maps (the latter has better 3D imaging, but worse street view) shows it to be St Martin & St Paul Tipton.  Further mapping (knowing of the Princes End Branch) shows it to be the junction signal coming off the Branch. (POS 1 for Bham, nothing for Wolves.)

May I offer you, not WN86, but WN186.

Thanks for all the fun, and I must get round to finding where DY444 was!

Paul.

12 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Agreed, not a Warrington Signal. Even if it were, it would be near Springs Branch

Getting close!  Like you, the backdrop is characteristic of the hills south of the BHM WVL Line.  I also wondered about before electrification.

Then I noticed the church tower and a quick Google/Apple Maps (the latter has better 3D imaging, but worse street view) shows it to be St Martin & St Paul Tipton.  Further mapping (knowing of the Princes End Branch) shows it to be the junction signal coming off the Branch. (POS 1 for Bham, nothing for Wolves.)

Paul.

Ah excellent.  My Wolverhampton PSB diagram post dates the branch closure hence me not finding another non-electrified line running signal !

DY444 was at the south end of Derby P4.

Edited by DY444
  • Thanks 1

Already confirmed by others but this is Brent South End, the scene of many a derailment and visit from the Breakdown Crane when I was a secondman at Stonebridge Park, it was pretty much a weekly occurence in those days.  These days the signal gantry at the south end of the through goods roads just out of view to the right is a regular relieving point and Harlesden station on the DC line is off to the left, down below. The second bridge, seen through the first carries the Dudding Hill and Neasden Junction line over the WCML to Acton Canal Wharf and Acton Wells junctions.

Great selection of photos by the way, very nice.

WILLSDN BRENT STH END IMG00004-2.jpg.b71da432e15112eee7e44867025c3513.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SED Freightman said:

Could I make an alternative suggestion for this photo - A view looking south from the hump towards Sudbury Sdgs, with Sudbury Up Sdgs Shunting Frame and shunters accommodation, WCML off to the right and Stonebridge Park Carriage Sdgs to the left. 

And there is something else missing for it to be Bescot, I was so focussed on the track layout that I missed the obvious - where is the M6!!

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

Thanks Paul, having blown up the photo again, there is something on the signal plate that on closer examination could well be a "1". I had dismissed this as a pixilation of perhaps dirt, but I think I'm more than happy to go with WN 186.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, iands said:

The second shows some track rationalisation has taken place, and the tanks in the sidings on the left may provide a clue.

IMG00016-2.jpg.d9a10074a6fa7c1dfdc92db9a35a9408.jpg

the reference to the church in Tipton in previous posts also relates to this pic as you can see it to the left of the frame

google mapping the location gives me this as a possible point

Dropped pin
Near Tipton
https://goo.gl/maps/pRyeGotVdAy5hUeE9

Between coseley and Tipton looking toward Birmingham, the give always are the bend in the canal On the right and the long building to the left , in particular the skylight arrangement that is the same in the pic as google maps

B53220FD-8A78-4E34-8C78-691557C6F693.jpg

552788E6-1553-4495-9C1F-355E9E5770EC.jpg

the signal has a No1 route indicator which is hazard a guess would take you into the aforementioned princes end branch

on the down side there is a signal box that those with knowledge of the area may be able to identify (Tipton curve signal box maybe?)

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1