Flying Scotsman back on the mainline - 2016

colin penfold

The content behind the link was removed, but if it was about the return move to York (actually departed from East Grinstead at 5:20am) here's a taster of what was on offer - passing Kensal Rise at 7:32am this morning.  Clearly an everyday occurrence as far as the travelling public are concerned - no one seemed to take the slightest notice!

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/about/media-room#/pressreleases/four-trains-four-generations-times-confirmed-for-history-making-event-on-yorkshires-east-coast-main-line-1912317 It is  there but perhaps the link alters with the addition of other news reports?

Paul

Who is getting up early to see her tomorrow then?

Not me. I live 20 miles from tollerton and if the weather is like it was this morning it is not worth it. Overcast, and not enough light to make it worthwhile at 6:00am.

Mike Wiltshire

What time is it passing Tollerton

6:00am Depart. Arrival in darkness

Mike Wiltshire

Pl Arr Dep Arr Dep Dly Line Path Eng Pth Prf

York Warehouse Nrm Annexe     0325   0325            

York Yard Nth R.S.   0325½ 0345 0325 0345            

Skelton Jn. (York)   pass 0355 pass 0355   FL        

Skelton Bridge Jn.   pass 0359 pass 0359   SL        

Tollerton Jn   0410   0410

5Z43, 5Z91, 5Z98 plus one other. Due York 08:27

Edited by Coach bogie

• 2 weeks later...

As far as the purists are concerned (I'm a Great Western/ BR (WR) man myself) we could just say to them that it has ended up there after taking a York - Bournemouth express, or one way or the other ended up 'off the beaten track'.

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

What appears to be the UK's favourite steam locomotive was out and about in Fife and central Scotland today.  Here she is at Edinburgh having brought in her first circular of the day:

post-16293-0-27954900-1494780412_thumb.jpg

As you can she she is surrounded by a sea of adoring fans.  What's not apparent from the photograph is that there were quite a number of young women out to see her too.  This is quite a change that has taken place over the last decade or so.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 3

Say what you like about the money invested in the overhaul of Flying Scotsman, but the army of people it attracts can only be good for steam preservation. If it encourages some of these to visit preserved railways then it has been well worth it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

There may be other spin-offs beyond steam restoration; a friend of mine was also at Waverley on Sunday, and has invested in a model of the Scotsman based simply on seeing her.  He does have a layout but has previously seen no reason to buy the model; the real thing changed that for him.

To return to Sunday afternoon the variety of folk there to see the loco was quite impressive - singles (male and female), couples, families, and teenagers through to folk of indeterminate age.  From observation, and engaging in conversation it was clear that most were not what you could reasonably describe as rail enthusiasts.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

I arrived at the first bridge at Euxton, to photograph the Cathedrals Express, 10 minutes before the appointed time, to find half the world had the same idea. So there is probably a dozen other people with a picture like this:

post-506-0-45241800-1494974455_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately - once again - FS has attracted the idiots who trespass, some are enthusiasts but a lot are families out to see "the famous steam train". There is a video on Facebook which shows some Darwin Award candidates, the guy who took the video claims to be on a foot crossing and yet when he pans around the crossing is clearly visible some yards behind him so he's trackside and wrong side of any fence. Morons like him and the others in the video (and others who were in similar positions along the route) have now resulted in the timings being restricted again. Personally I think it should be banned from main line operation, one day some of these idiots are going to get killed and that will then affect all genuine enthusiasts (not just FS fans).

• RMweb Gold

Sadly it is the minority who will spoil it. I have sent a screen shot of this video to British Transport Police, so lets hope they investigate the offenders and deal with them.

They've already declined to arrest the video taker or anyone else on the clip - this is the problem, if I were to trespass to get a better view of say, the Eccles stone, they would arrest me and I would be punished - even though I'm very aware of trains around me, have live signalling diagrams on my phone, can read signals and point lies and notice things like barriers dropping all of which mean I can tell where and when trains are approaching me - I also know trains dont bounce off HV outfits ... (I wouldn't trespass btw despite all this knowledge as it's still f....ing dangerous) however a family, with no "road" sense what-so-ever go track side on a high speed line and the best they can say is "50 people are too many for us to deal with" - I'm sorry BTP but that simply is NOT good enough. (the quote is from the reply they sent to someone who reported the video to them - see Facebook)

• RMweb Premium

They've already declined to arrest the video taker or anyone else on the clip - this is the problem,

It really doesn't send out the right message, does it? I'm sure they don't want people arrested as a headline, but if they carry on not doing anything it'll be people killed as a headline sooner or later. It's good that it's hit the headlines for all the right reasons but the message must be sent out about being a numpty too. People must be faced with having to take responsibility for themselves.

• RMweb Gold

They've already declined to arrest the video taker or anyone else on the clip - this is the problem, if I were to trespass to get a better view of say, the Eccles stone, they would arrest me and I would be punished - even though I'm very aware of trains around me, have live signalling diagrams on my phone, can read signals and point lies and notice things like barriers dropping all of which mean I can tell where and when trains are approaching me - I also know trains dont bounce off HV outfits ... (I wouldn't trespass btw despite all this knowledge as it's still f....ing dangerous) however a family, with no "road" sense what-so-ever go track side on a high speed line and the best they can say is "50 people are too many for us to deal with" - I'm sorry BTP but that simply is NOT good enough. (the quote is from the reply they sent to someone who reported the video to them - see Facebook)

Even if only ten or a dozen were dealt with, hefty fines levied and well-publicised, it would send out the right message.

Doing nothing and, even worse, publicly announcing that they will do nothing just makes matters worse. It seems reasonable to assume that, having done nothing on this occasion, similar BTP inaction will apply in future, too. If so, it is only a matter of time before a tragedy ensues.

WHEN (not if) a few idiots and possibly their children who they lead into danger get splattered, either by the National Icon itself or something travelling on an adjacent line, BTP's repeated derogation of duty will have been a contributory factor. 

It has become evident that stupidity precedes 60103 almost everywhere it goes and, if its appearances are not to be properly policed, they should cease.

Then the headlines might read, "Flying Scotsman to run no more; BTP cannot deal with it".

John

Edited by Dunsignalling