Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Premium

If you do that you will need to be able to turn the unwanted lamps off.

Regards

Don't have my Derby 2 manual to hand, but I'm pretty certain the prototype is all 4 on or off, not individually switchable.

But that didn't prevent some drivers flipping the disc up to close.

7948513808_562d7e5dc0_b.jpg

EDIT - I've been assured by someone with a SLW 24 that both upward- and downward-flipped closed discs (in the appropriate colours) ARE provided with the model.

Edited by CloggyDeux

This the diesel equivalent of Dapol's A4 then - we really are entering the realm of boutique models here, aren't we? 28 functions. 6 light and 22 sound functions I guess.

Could still benefit from laserglaze though! 

This the diesel equivalent of Dapol's A4 then - we really are entering the realm of boutique models here, aren't we? 28 functions. 6 light and 22 sound functions I guess.

Could still benefit from laserglaze though! 

Full marks to Phil. Long overdue popular a protoype and a 25 to follow if all goes well we hope? (No brainer really!) Agree on the Laserglaze though....!

• Like 1

It's all a matter of playing off costs and benefits, but I'd bet that that nice Mr Shawplan isn't looking at a post sale opportunity here!

Regards

Judging by the number of adverse comments on the new 24's glazing  - I'd suspect EE Brian already has plans for some nice laser glaze replacements !

I was just looking at Olivias website and they have the Bachmann version of D5000 listed at £125 for DC. £153 for DCC. £246 with Olivia’s Sound Fitted. also they charge £10 for a tail lamp modification (Independent operation of tail lamps using function commands & £7 for cab lights (Per Cab!!!) so for a sound version with tail light mods and 2 cab lights adds up to £270 so that makes this SLW offering even better value!! I know we haven't got proper retail prices yet and Olivias are not known for cheap prices but I know which way i'm going :)

• Like 1

Oh I do hope a 24/1 follows soonish, i've grown tired of waiting for Bachmanns version! But looking at the photos of the 24/0 I think I may as well forget the Bachy one and just save a little extra for these! It looks stunning. Even though i'm a BR Blue man are any close up photos of the green one?

Bachy one is dead in the water after this.

Some Blue pictures in poor light.

Would I be so bold as to assume that they have even got the screw link correct and we will be able to just use the hook and leave alone? We run almost entirely on screw links and 3/intstanters on wagons but most proprietary models 'screw links' are crap and need to be changed.

Ron that pic sums up almost the entire glazing situation for RTR introduced over the last 20 some years. Hallelujah for Wet & Dry used with T cut and Lazerglaze.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94747-Hornby-lms-non-corridor-coaches-pre-production-samples/page-3&do=findComment&comment=1837760

P

Pretty much echo the comments already made, was also at the event, and the detail is fantastic, sadly out of my era, but none the less, a good starter model and miles better than Bachmanns' model, I asked about other classes as well, and said there could be a possibility possibly, but we'll see how things go sales wise with this one, and if they produce more, good luck to Phil in this adventure, this is the type of model us D&E modellers need!

NL

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Still very impressed with this model. I've taken on board the comments re glazing and the air intake slat numbers for the scavenger fan and boiler. As a BR blue modeller, the boiler slats were blanked by a plate in any case and I'm sure Shawplan or Pete Harvey will do the business here for the large bodyside grille. A doddle to fit these if needed I suspect. Is the large grille an etch? Incorrect slat number is a feature of many RTR diesels, the Bachmann peak for example - how many modellers have noticed this or care?

As pointed out the later body style 25s look to be coming as there is already space for engine room cameos behind where the engine room windows will be on the 24/0 chassis. Naturally I fully expect the pseudo sole bar to vanish as seen on the late Bachmann rat, and correct the cab shape errors. Bachmann 25/1s have plenty of errors too from the sole bars to the raised bodyside grilles - something only corrected by using Hornby bodies on a Bach chassis.

It will be of great interest to see what Bachmann do with their 24/1, as it will need to approach this spec. Bachmann already have done engine room cameos on their recently released class 43, and finer bodyside etches dictate this where has been unnecessary before. Finger has already hovered over the "cancel preorder' button on my two Bachmann 24/1s as a wait and see for a possible 24/1 release from SLW is probably a decision I will make.

Terrific stuff, and will almost certainly get one of the 24/0s to have a real feel for the quality and gauge any (relatively simple) modifications to be done, which at present look little more than a renumber, and grilles/glazing when available.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The discussion on the grills is an interesting one. There are limitations to injection moulding and this matter of the grills seems to have hit one. There is every reason, though, to suppose that etched brass would be able to do this easily, but at what cost?

Again, courtesy of an aquaintance who bought one, the documentation with the model indicates that Phil welcomes constructive criticism and is seeking improvements and refinements to make the models even better:

Thank you for supporting this bold venture into R-T-R model manufacturing, with its radically different philosophy that flies in the face of current trends. We need the support of every single customer to thrive in a crowded market dominated by large multinational and foreign concerns. Making a success of these first few releases will ensure we can tackle even more projects. Please do not hesitate, in fact we positively encourage you to contact us with areas for improvement. It has been a steep learning curve, so we welcome feedback and sensible suggestions for future model variations. We have also adopted a policy of correction and continuous improvement so let us know if you feel we’ve dropped the ball anywhere.

Very encouraging.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

What an excellent model, been following this from the start and the more I've read the more I want one, so much for 'no more loco's till the layouts up an running!!'

Great stuff

Cheers, Paul

• Like 2

Phil has shown the way with fidelity at reasonable cost, as to a slightly lesser extent, has Dave Jones (DJM), both with appearance and sound capability. So, I wonder how long before we move on to a bit of clag coming out on acceleration, just as ESU have done with a few German locos now. Icing on the cake certainly, but not far off now for British models I would hope. I would want for nothing more at that stage, apart from an idiot-proof programme to run it on (I have just watched the new Piko SmartControl video, which I was looking forward to, but now am having second thoughts....).

Dapol Black seems to be heading this way too, but at a cost. (I know that differs from this in certain ways, more like the old Wrenn philosophy). But it bodes well for Phil's approach. The market, despite all the whinging about price elsewhere, appears ready for this improvement,

Bachy one is dead in the water after this.

Depends how many are already on fleet strength.  

Sometimes, as with Railroad Class 40 and Class 101 in my case, some of us have to ignore the existence of newcomers to the market.

I may as well declare 'Amoot' now, because I simply can't justify the expense of fleet renewal.

Just been having another play with my sound 24, it really is stunning and the best sound loco by far, the sound features are superb. Not sure if its been mentioned but you get a bag of spare white headcode discs, yellow closed discs folded down and up and spare lamp brackets, everything has been thought out and taken care of. 

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what this is? Is it like a limited edition certificate or just a brief "about us" sort of a thing made in a way to look like some BR form?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_11_2015/post-7968-0-53021800-1448865055.jpg

Please note that this is just my personal opinion, so not trying to force anyone to accept my thoughts here... 

For one I can agree and disagree with that bit of paper...There's snippets from there where Phil hints at his disappointment towards manufacturers because they gave lame excuses not to produce something and he's also hinted at the fact that he feels modern era models have been neglected or rather on the down low lately. I agree with this. For a small region like the UK, the variety in locos and rolling stock is immense. Yet for us who love the modern era, I see a huge gap in AC electrics. I don't like the Class 85, so I won't buy that. Bachmann announced a Class 90 but that will take years to come, Heljan made a horrid attempt at a Class 86. We still don't have proper AC electrics like the mainstream ones that worked on British soil (Class 86, Class 87, Class 90, Class 91, Class 92 and a range of EMUs). I'm also pretty tired of hearing manufacturers say that electrics don't sell well. I can think of so many reason why they don't and offer solutions to it also. There are probably a few more gaps in modern image locos which has led Phil to start this venture. The Class 24 and Class 25 come to mind. I sincerely hope that either SLW or Dapol Black Label with their new line of highly detailed models decide to pitch in an do some AC electrics. With those details and features, I don't mind paying £200-£400 for a model. AC electric will full DCC operation and a DCC raising and lowering panto eh? Of course that's for those who like AC electrics. I'm just saying, with that price range, maybe electrics will appeal to those who want them and collectors? There's no pressure as such on the manufacturer to keep a models price low and try to gain profits then. Or if Phil can do a Class 86 and Class 87 in BR Blue and Intercity to start with, that would be amazing...!

Now comes to the negative aspect of that bit of paper. I've noted that a couple of new smaller manufacturers upon entry into the market consistently and publicly try to degrade another manufacturer, which I find silly and not to mention very low. They say "The proof is in the pudding", with that in mind I think SLW have the pudding with proof glaring at you in the face. It may seem silly but yes, I do find small suppliers who try to pull down the other publicly a bit low. If you have faith in your product let your customers do the talking and prove that your model is top class. I've seen another manufacturer here whose also tried that. Frankly very silly. Seen it in the model aircrafts world where a manufacturer tried to get attention by publicly degrading other brands. In my view I lose trust in a manufacturer who does that. Yes I admit I am biased towards certain brands, but instances like this make me more biased. Uncalled for in my books.

• Like 2

... I'm also pretty tired of hearing manufacturers say that electrics don't sell well. ...

You would rather they lied to you?

Manufacturers are trying to make money. Judging by the contents of the bargain bins there are lots of products which have disappointing sales - enough to make the manufacturers understandably cautious about predicting what will sell and what won't. But given some of the courageous products they launch, there doesn't seem to be a lack of willingness to experiment (Brighton Belle? P2? Blue Pullman?).

Bachmann produced a lovely AC loco, but the fact they're not immediately rushing to do many more might tell us something (the Class 90 isn't going to appear until - what? - 7 years after the 85).

To put it bluntly: How can you be sure that every manufacturer is wrong, while you are right?

Paul

Edited by Fenman
  • Like 2

A thought, should this topic now be moved out from small suppliers and as Rail Exclusive - Sutton's Locomotive Workshop now has a proven track record and will only grow should have a section in the products and trade area, mods, Andy?

Maybe then the topic could be split into 3 catagories, the model itself, the DCC and sound discussion and future variants and liveries (wishlist)? It would make the discussions easier to navigate.