• RMweb Gold

Hmm, the Matbro might live on in N Gauge form a bit longer looking at all the curves and angles on that thing!

Cheers Phil,

Tom.

You don't need to worry, that should have gone away again by now as it was only on a short-term hire. Good job really, it had, as the Ops Manager put it, two speeds, slow and really slow. Coaling the locos was taking an eternity.

Not sure what the longer term plan is.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

You don't need to worry, that should have gone away again by now as it was only on a short-term hire. Good job really, it had, as the Ops Manager put it, two speeds, slow and really slow. Coaling the locos was taking an eternity.

Not sure what the longer term plan is.

Roy

Thanks for the info Roy. Can I put in a request for whatever the replacement is to be easily modellable!!

The damp weather has brought any spraying pretty much to a halt, but I managed to get a coat of primer on the boiler tonight after adding a "few" more rivets and some extra details to the backhead and firebox area, all based loosely on the real thing. 

post-1467-0-51834900-1485815204_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-73567900-1485815222_thumb.jpg

The steam dome is basic in detail, but only as it is covered in real life, so the model will follow suit. It may also need reducing in height slightly looking at the photos. The only remaining detail to add are some handrail stanchions.

Cheers, 

Tom.  

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom,

Looking even more superb matey. Any chance of an overall view of the layout when you have a moment please.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy.

The photos below show pretty much the full length of the layout:

post-1467-0-99466100-1485817959_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-89263500-1485818869_thumb.jpg

As you can see, there is quite a bit still to do, especially along the top of the embankment. A start has been made on the collection of buildings, with just a couple of sheds and the water tank to build, after that it's mostly grass & landscaping so should fill in quite quickly. The section between the containers and boiler/carriage works is crammed with other containers and small out buildings currently in use by the Urie Society, along with a shed load of other small details.  

Also, apologies for the half off, half on signal, I haven't set the servo driver properly yet! 

Tom.  

Edited by TomE
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jeremy.

The photos below show pretty much the full length of the layout:

CU0J9438.jpg

CU0J9434.jpg

As you can see, there is quite a bit still to do, especially along the top of the embankment. A start has been made on the collection of buildings, with just a couple of sheds and the water tank to build, after that it's mostly grass & landscaping so should fill in quite quickly. The section between the containers and boiler/carriage works is crammed with other containers and small out buildings currently in use by the Urie Society, along with a shed load of other small details.

Also, apologies for the half off, half on signal, I haven't set the servo driver properly yet!

Tom.

That really does look excellent. It is strange to see somewhere I know so well in model form.

I only stumbled across this thread today but will be watching your progress with interest.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

That really does look excellent. It is strange to see somewhere I know so well in model form.

I only stumbled across this thread today but will be watching your progress with interest.

Roy

Thanks Roy. I take it you are a volunteer on the line? I've just sent off my MHRPS membership so hoping to get down there a bit more often this year.

Absolutely stunning Tom! Thanks for posting the photos.

Thanks Jeremy. As I say, lots still to do but it's slowly starting to come together!

Tom.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just sent off my MHRPS membership so hoping to get down there a bit more often this year.

Tom.

I'm down there driving on the 17th, 21st, and 26th of this month, say hello if you come down then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Roy. I take it you are a volunteer on the line? I've just sent off my MHRPS membership so hoping to get down there a bit more often this year.

Thanks Jeremy. As I say, lots still to do but it's slowly starting to come together!

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Yes I work there as a volunteer on the footplate (trainee fireman / cleaner) and as secondman on the diesels. I also work on the restoration / running of the Hampshire unit.

Not there so much at the moment as I damaged tendons in my ankle last time out - just before my crew handed over to PhilH. Another 2 weeks in a cast and then hopefully the start of a return to the norm. If that is the case, I am on a relief turn on 5/3 so will be knocking around the yard. If you are there, as PhilH said, say hello.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

I'm down there driving on the 17th, 21st, and 26th of this month, say hello if you come down then.

Hi Tom,

Yes I work there as a volunteer on the footplate (trainee fireman / cleaner) and as secondman on the diesels. I also work on the restoration / running of the Hampshire unit.

Not there so much at the moment as I damaged tendons in my ankle last time out - just before my crew handed over to PhilH. Another 2 weeks in a cast and then hopefully the start of a return to the norm. If that is the case, I am on a relief turn on 5/3 so will be knocking around the yard. If you are there, as PhilH said, say hello.

Roy

Many thanks both, and I hope your ankle is on the mend Roy. I'll certainly at the line on the 17th for the pre Spring Gala. I need to get some more detail shots of the footbridge, particularly the section that runs to the carriage workshop viewing gallery so I can complete the drawings for that and get it etched, and try and make a bit more sense of the area around the Urie restoration!

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold

Just a little update to show some experimentation with some additional scrub/undergrowth along the embankment. This has been made up using the same teddy bear stuffing I used for the trees, sprayed with brown paint and then some fine Polak oak green foliage scattered on top. 

post-1467-0-18765400-1485908275_thumb.jpg

This will run the length of the embankment in various patches and hopefully it adds a bit more depth to the scenery. 

Tom.  

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Hi all. 

A little more work has been carried out along the embankment this evening to make sure that i'm happy with the method for producing the ground cover. The intention here is to represent brambles, and I think it's looking ok so far. The MHR seem to be keeping the growth along the embankment much more in check recently, but as I prefer the overgrown look, that's what I'm going for. 

post-1467-0-45527700-1486164713_thumb.jpg

There will be some further variation added to suggest other growth & wildflowers, but with a close eye on not over doing it and making it look cliché! 

Tom.  

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I'm a big fan of your backscene, the colours and fading look good for a crisp winters day. Could you explain the process/materials used?

Many thanks Rich.

The back scene is integral to the layout and is 5mm thick 'bendy' MDF to allow a curve at the eastern end .The western end isn't curved to allow for the station area to be added at a later date.

The MDF was sprayed with Halford's white primer, being lightly sanded with fine wet & dry between each coat until you get a smooth finish. The blue (Halford's Ford Olympic Blue) was then applied gradually from a light dusting about 2/3rds of the way down to full coverage at the top to give the impression of the sky lightening the closer you get to the horizon. The whole thing was then given a layer of matt varnish to take the shine off it. 

I will eventually add some light fluffy clouds as I'm going for early summer, but if all you need is a clear sky backdrop then I think this works quite well without needing to go to the expense of either buying a proprietary back scene or having on printed. 

Cheers, 

Tom.  

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

I often have a peak to see how your getting on, being that I regularly pop into the yard at Ropley and wow. You have really captured the look of the place, great attention to detail. Talking of detail can you tell me what colour paint you used on the sides of the rail? I have mixed a few different shades before but I am still not happy with the overall colour once dry, whereas you have the colour just how it should be in my eyes. In your post above 143 the colour I'm after is just in front of the Class 33. Any help would be great.

ATB,

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Martyn. 

I can't claim any credit for that really, a little while ago I found this thread here on rmweb and thought that the colours 'PGH' had mixed up looked spot on:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76110-moving-coal-a-colliery-layout-in-0-gauge/?p=1163187 (Scroll to the end of the post in the link)

The section of line you mention used the mix of Humbrol 82, 62 & 33, with a little bit of experimentation until I got just the colour I was looking for. Once the main colour was dry, I dry brushed matt black around fishplates, or any other area that gets greased/oiled. A similar mix was used for the point rodding, just with a little more orange to give some contrast. 

Hope that helps!

Tom. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all. 

At Doncaster I picked up a cheap Farish 'Intercity' Mk.1 SO, primarily to make use of the commonwealth bogies it comes with (Pleeease can we have these as spares Mr.Bachmann!!) Rather than discard the body to the spares box, I decided to repaint it and make use of it on the layout, which brought me to the question of what green to use? Purest, perhaps......

post-1467-0-99457000-1487025942.png

Anyway, looking through various photos of the stock on the MHR, it is immediately apparent that they do not use BR SR green as you might expect, and the colour is much closer in appearance to Malachite. I'm certain that someone on the line accidentally added a couple of extra zeros to the paint order, and they are slowing working their way through thousands of tins of Malachite green because pretty much everything on the line is painted with the stuff! 

The 'Intercity' livery was removed using Superstrip, which after my previous experience I was a little nervous about using. However, my preferred method of using Fairy Power Spray is no longer possible since they changed the formula rendering it useless for stripping factory finishes (  :angry: ). This time I used very little Superstrip, and left it only for 5 minutes or so in a sealed container before gently scrubbing it with a toothbrush and this seemed to do the trick nicely without any adverse effect on the plastic. 

Once primed, Railmatch Malachite was airbrushed on and the result can be seen below:

post-1467-0-28601500-1487024499_thumb.jpg

The real thing for comparison: 

4451314549_71f5f79122_b.jpg

4977  BR MK1  SECOND OPEN  1962 by Linda Chen, on Flickr

As the photos hopefully show, the colour is a much better match for the MHR stock than out of the box Farish, if perhaps a little on the light side, so some tweaking of the colour will be experimented with before any further stock is repainted.

Tom.  

Edited by TomE
  • Like 5