• RMweb Gold

Back to matters modelling, I'm a little in limbo with the remaining coaching stock at the moment whilst I wait for a new supply of superstrip to arrive, so I have been sanding roof ribs and weathering underframes to pass the time!

The latest roof is a little more subtle than the first:

post-1467-0-07437300-1487510502_thumb.jpg

Also, a day I have been dreading for some time has finally arrived. I have dropped below 1/4 remaining in my last bottle of, now almost mythical, original formula Johnson's Klear. 

There have been various claims and counter claims made around the internet about the suitability of various products as a replacement, and so I decided to put one of the most frequently mentioned to the test in anticipation of the day when the bottle is empty. 

post-1467-0-76376800-1487511037_thumb.jpg

This is actually the product that replaced Klear, although this itself has gone through a couple of further changes since it usurped the fabled original. The immediate difference is that it is no longer clear, and is now a milky white in appearance. It seems more fluid than the original, although that could be due to the age of my last bottle of original.

It also stinks. Of what I can't even say, and not even the manufacture has attempted to describe the scent on the packaging! Still, it might help mask out some of the odours wafting around exhibition halls.........

Applied to a test piece of plastic sprayed with Railmatch Acrylic paint, it went on smooth, and dried perfectly clear, so it appears it really does work as a substitute when creating a gloss base for decals. Happy that there appear to be no nasty side effects, I will try it out on the next coach body to be repainted. 

I've also tested it out as a method for fixing ballast in place, and again it seems to work exactly as the original did, drying clear and rock solid, so it appears that this will be perfectly fine as a replacement and will not mean the end of all modelling! 

Cheers, 

Tom.  

• Like 4

Hi Tom,

Great work on that Mk1, as always, and thank you for posting your video from the 17th. My girlfriend and I visited the Mid Hants on Friday and had a wonderful time riding the line and just managing to squeak into the last 'works' tour of the day. I must have mentioned this following my last visit but it was somewhat surreal wondering around Ropley yard and picking out all the bits you've modelled. You really have captured the look and feel of the location to perfection and I look forward to watching you tackle the station buildings.

As always, looking forward to the next post!

Hello all. 

A few of you may be familiar with my blog, sporadically chronicling the painfuly slow progress of an N Gauge layout depicting Ropley, a station and yard on the preserved Mid Hants Railway in Hampshire. 

Hi Tom...

I was attracted to your thread by the teasers in the ”How Realistic" photo challenge...

I have to applaud you for the standard of modelling. Exceptional.

It's difficult to grasp that the layout is 2mm scale.

Your video and the accompanying soundtrack in the opening post had me smiling broadly....

Is the sound simply an overdub onto the video, or do you run trains synchronised with sounds output through speakers?

Genuine recordings really add an authentic atmosphere...

Randall

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind comments Randall. 

The sound in the video is dubbed from footage of the U Class that was formally resident on the line. I've always been on the fence over sound, not really being sure that in N Gauge it's particularly effective. That said, after listening to the forthcomming Farish Castle at the N Gauge Show last year I was suitably impressed enough to order one, so there may yet be more sound appearing on Ropley in the future! 

Cheers, 

Tom.  

Here is one to ponder Tom, some Mark I carriages seem to have a raised frame around the edge of the windows, some, perhaps the majority, do not. Somebody out there might be able to explain why this is. Is this noticeable in MHR rakes? It can be simulated with a bit of masking and dry brushing darker tones around the window perimeter.

• Like 1

Here is one to ponder Tom, some Mark I carriages seem to have a raised frame around the edge of the windows, some, perhaps the majority, do not. Somebody out there might be able to explain why this is. Is this noticeable in MHR rakes? It can be simulated with a bit of masking and dry brushing darker tones around the window perimeter.

I believe that it was a design modification, born out of experience with the early production which suffered excessive corrosion in that area (or something like that). Later Mk1s had the raised frames from new, and many of the early ones were retro-fitted and so the majority in preservation have the raised frames.

Adam

• RMweb Gold

raised frame

Hi Will. 

The Mid Hants seem to have a mix of MK.1s with raised frames, and some without. The masking idea is interesting, but would have to be applied consistently to avoid it looking a bit odd. The best (easiest!) way would be a fine etch which could be fitted around the existing opening, and then some clear glazing fitted within the window recess, but they would have to be fine enough to be convincing yet not so fine as to be easily distortable! At the distances people will be viewing Ropley, I'm not sure it would even be that noticeable to be honest. Something to ponder for future projects though maybe. 

post-1467-0-02596200-1488022861_thumb.jpg

Tom.  

• Like 8

It is much easier with a stripy livery, blue and grey, something and cream etc.. as you can get away with just suggesting the vertical elements of the frame, and leave it to the viewer to imagine the horizontal bits which tend to be bordered by the livery edges anyway. Interestingly, on the SVR you see Crimson and Cream carriages with different 'depths' of cream stripe depending on whether the frames are there or not.

Anyhow, getting a bit off piste Ropley wise...!

I reckon that, though it is a more involved process with the plain green, it might yet be worth a go?

post-1601-0-84091500-1488027187_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Will.

The Mid Hants seem to have a mix of MK.1s with raised frames, and some without. The masking idea is interesting, but would have to be applied consistently to avoid it looking a bit odd. The best (easiest!) way would be a fine etch which could be fitted around the existing opening, and then some clear glazing fitted within the window recess, but they would have to be fine enough to be convincing yet not so fine as to be easily distortable! At the distances people will be viewing Ropley, I'm not sure it would even be that noticeable to be honest. Something to ponder for future projects though maybe.

CU0J9473.jpg

Tom.

That photo is a great promotion for N Gauge and for what you are doing!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all. 

Not much modelling of late for various reasons. However some research has been carried out for more carriage roof weathering using the new toy airborne modelling assistance tool (one of the aforementioned reasons!!.....)

Tom. 

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

This really is absolutely superb stuff. The work, detail and standards you are achieving in such a small scale are frankly astonishing, it requires a double take some of the time.

Sorry for asking a question.... apologies if I've missed this but what are the dimensions of the layout?

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Thanks David.

The scenic section at present is only around 5ft in length, however the long term goal is to extend to include the entire station area which would make it around 11ft. 

Tom. 

Hi Tom,

Just thought I'd drop by and say hello, I know we've come across each other over on the realism thread. Just wanted to say great work and I'm watching with interest. I'm not generally a great fan of N gauge, but some layouts really do stand out and yours and Blue Ball Summit are two of my personal favourites.

I've visited the Mid-Hants railway a few times now, so I'm really looking forward to seeing your layout develop to include the station. What you've done so far is already bring back memories for me.

Keep up the good work,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave.

Many thanks for your kind comments. I've long admired Waverley West and some of the photos you post are difficult to tell if we're looking at model or the real thing!

I spent an enjoyable morning at Alexandra Palace today, a highlight of which was a behind the scenes look at Copenhagen Fields with thanks to Justin1985. A truly magnificent layout in all respects. 

I was intending this show to be a cheap one, if there is ever such a thing, however having acquired a Farish Autocoach to represent 'Chaffinch' when in Gala mode, as a result of an impulse buy it now has something to push/pull it:

post-1467-0-77413000-1490545910_thumb.jpg

Technically I'm violating my policy of only running types which have visited the line with this one, the only previous Pannier tank to have visited being of the 57xx variety, and the Autocoach was pushed/pulled by 14XX 1450. Unfortunately the Dapol 14xx is not compatible with my slightly gashed together hybrid pointwork, as well as beginning to look it's age next to the more recent models, so the 64xx will have to do for now. At least it's in the right livery anyway. 

Bachmann continue to impress with their small tank engines in N Gauge, and the 64xx's good looks are matched by smooth and near silent running straight out of the box. 

Finally, it appears that some enthusiasts have managed to get into the yard ahead of building works being completed!

post-1467-0-21297100-1490545921_thumb.jpg

Cheers, 

Tom. 

• Like 13

Thanks David.

The scenic section at present is only around 5ft in length, however the long term goal is to extend to include the entire station area which would make it around 11ft.

Tom.

My brother lives in the area so I am familiar with the location - you've done a wonderful job of capturing the feel.

PS I'm not really a GWR can but that pannier and autocoach look absolutely stunning! Hard to believe it is 2mm scale!

Thanks again,

David

My brother lives in the area so I am familiar with the location - you've done a wonderful job of capturing the feel.

PS I'm not really a GWR can but that pannier and autocoach look absolutely stunning! Hard to believe it is 2mm scale!

Thanks again,

David

But the pannier is not to 2mm scale, it's British N which is 2.0625 mm/foot (1:148) and that means it's nearly 8% bigger in size (volume) than a 2mm scale loco.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all. 

A glorious day today so decided to charge the drone batteries and head down to the line again for a second go at some train chasing!

Sadly it didn't go exactly to plan. The ground that looked flat wasn't, so the gimbal calibrated slightly off giving a tilted horizon and on one shot the gimbal completely lost the plot, I presume due to excessive wind, although it didn't feel windy enough to cause problems. For the first time ever, I had issues with birds, one buzzard in particular taking a much too close for comfort interest in the drone, hence the slight wobble in the second shot when I thought it was going for it! Also, the active track feature didn't really work out as i'd hoped,  being foiled by a tree and struggling with the changing shape of the engine, so I was forced to revert to manual following. 

Seems this drone hobby can be just as frustrating as modelling sometimes!

Still, hopefully managed to grab a few nice shots I think?

Practice makes perfect, as they say!

Cheers, 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 11