'Compton Abbas'

georgeT

Welcome to 'Compton Abbas' my newest venture, after breaking up and selling off the buildings and most of my stock on 'Bishop Street' l am now going down a much different route this time, as 'Compton Abbas' is to be based somewhere on the old S&D so l will be getting some different stock this time, and l will be doing much more research this time making sure l get it right also taking more time to build things instead of rushing like l have in the past, so the first thing l will be doing is to strip BS down to a bare board again...

So whats new ? Well l have scrapped the DCC, in favour of good old DC, really can't see the point of the extra expense of fitting chip's in, as there will be no light's or sound's on any of the locos, as only one loco will be in use at any one time, so only a few dead section's will be needed should another loco appear...

So that's about it, l will post picture's of the build as and when, and as Andy has said many times before keep the loco boxe's (hahaha) l will do this time round, promise..

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear that Bishop St is to be no more. I thought it was looking very good.

Could it not have been sold to fund the new project?

Is Swindley the name of a real place? Does not sound too convincing. There are places that could have been served by the S&D.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear that Bishop St is to be no more. I thought it was looking very good.

Is Swindley the name of a real place? Does not sound too convincing. There are places that could have been served by the S&D.

Hi Joseph

There are two places called Swindley, one in Wigan and the other in Worcestershire which has Green added to it. Both place names share the same meaning and derivation, that is, the Olde English pre 7th Century "swin", pig, wild boar, with "leah", a glade or clearing.

George explains where he got the name from in his post on the demise of Bishop Street.

Morning Joseph, most of it was sold in bits, the price l was offered for BS in the first place was not enough to cover the new venture, so l decided to use the track and the base board, saving extra expense..thanks for your support...

Time to look forward to another George T masterclass in building buildings then.

Thank's for the kind words Duncan, l'm not too sure about masterclass but l will try, with 'Swinley' l am going down many different roads this time and will do more research, and the use of the many good building from Hornby / Bachmann will save a lot of time at 'Swinley'...

• RMweb Gold

Heyup George, I found you're new thread before it's got to its second page, this time!!

I'll be interested to see what you base this on, just been googling the S & D as I'm not familiar with it.

Looking forward to another great layout.

Al.

Heyup George, I found you're new thread before it's got to its second page, this time!!

I'll be interested to see what you base this on, just been googling the S & D as I'm not familiar with it.

Looking forward to another great layout.

Al.

Hello Al, Thanks for the kind words, all l know at this moments is that l want to model something with a S&D feel, with some ex-GWR tank locos mixed with some ex-LMS ans ex-SR locos, l don't know which ones yet, all l have at this time is a 0-6-0 jinty and a handful of wagons..

l was sorry to break up BS, but l was not happy with it, but then l enjoyed the build, you can't do much with the modern scene today as everything is so big with 100 ton coal hoppers and frieghtliners etc etc, you can't do it justice with 1 or 2 wagons, and after you have run a loco with 3 or 4 wagons back and fourth  it gets very boring, so l now want to build something more interesting and something to play with, so with a lot of help from the guys on here l might get there...

You cant go far wrong looking at Mac Pyrkes Berrow Branch, Platform, Bay, Goods Shed, Turntable, Engine Shed and all in about 8ft x 2ft. Other good ones are this one we saw at Nottingham a few years ago.

post-9335-0-18613500-1452338484_thumb.jpg

Nick Woods, Much Murkle on here and we saw at the RM Web event at Coventry.

John Flann's Hintock.

There are many good examples, the more small sidings with a purpose the better for shunting. Passenger duties come 2nd as they are fairly boring apart from having to run around the Stock.

We'll come up with something good I'm sure, John Flann has been a great help to me with the final outcome of Pencarne, i.e. getting the balance about right for operation and looks.

All the best mate.

You cant go far wrong looking at Mac Pyrkes Berrow Branch, Platform, Bay, Goods Shed, Turntable, Engine Shed and all in about 8ft x 2ft. Other good ones are this one we saw at Nottingham a few years ago.

attachicon.gifNottingham 2012 Mar 18th 072.JPG

Nick Woods, Much Murkle on here and we saw at the RM Web event at Coventry.

John Flann's Hintock.

There are many good examples, the more small sidings with a purpose the better for shunting. Passenger duties come 2nd as they are fairly boring apart from having to run around the Stock.

We'll come up with something good I'm sure, John Flann has been a great help to me with the final outcome of Pencarne, i.e. getting the balance about right for operation and looks.

All the best mate.

Hi Buddy, That was a nice layout, something that l would like, l have had a good look at the layouts you said and there is something good in all of them, l have come up with a possible track plan, not the final as many adjustments will be made, please tell me what you think guys...

post-7716-0-18644600-1452344577_thumb.jpg

Hi Buddy, That was a nice layout, something that l would like, l have had a good look at the layouts you said and there is something good in all of them, l have come up with a possible track plan, not the final as many adjustments will be made, please tell me what you think guys...

Hi Mate, well I think the Goods Shed would need a Head Shunt, it just looks like a long road to nowhere at the moment, have a look at this, just ONE more Point.

post-9335-0-87071800-1452348837.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I sometimes wonder whether an engine shed is (operationally) worth the area it requires.

Have you considered moving the end loading dock to the end of the short stub at the left hand end of the run round loop? That would avoid the extra point that Andy's added with no real loss of facilities.

Could you replace the engine shed with a longer siding that extends in front of the fiddle yard serving a factory or similar?

I sometimes wonder whether an engine shed is (operationally) worth the area it requires.

Have you considered moving the end loading dock to the end of the short stub at the left hand end of the run round loop? That would avoid the extra point that Andy's added with no real loss of facilities.

Could you replace the engine shed with a longer siding that extends in front of the fiddle yard serving a factory or similar?

Hi Ray, I do have to agree about the Engine Shed, they are a bit of a caliche and as was pointed out to me, really quite un necessary. The idea of moving the Loading Dock is a very good one. There would then be somewhere for a Dairy, Wood Yard, Quayside etc.

I would agree with the comments regarding the engine shed being around the station area especially as the original plan has tried to save space by not having any facing points on the station approach. Most of the operational interest will be the shunting of revenue earning rolling stock so maybe further goods sidings would be more useful. 

Archived