Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

I have just purchased a new book The last years of West Midlands Steam. A number of interesting photos...worth the price for one picture in particular...won’t show here... 1950 s view of 46235 herself on a train of empty coaching stock traversing the Aston to Stechford line over the bridges that spanned the Midland Railway complex at Washwood Heath. This sums up perfectly the still separate entities that were the ex North Western and Midland lines in Brum even into BR days..however it was another picture that caught  my eye. A double header going through Bromsgrove.  The lead set of carriages...are they articulated LNER tourist or other stock from that railway...?

5960F9C5-4A91-4538-8417-B5C9C8DC076D.jpeg

5A550A48-3278-4DAA-950C-3E08AA56633F.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

Hello John thanks, I have just looked it up on the isinglass website. The full kit is £89 will be buying it and showing build here. I have just been watching a video made by isinglass concerning their articulation method, looking forward to giving it a try.

best wishes Brian

Brian. Re- the discussion on the roof of the photos. This link may help

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5440

My suggestion is that these coaches are Dia 308, built in 1939 and steel rather than teak. The roof profile was standard-Gresley, rather than the usual Tourist shape- as seen on the lower of your photos..

It looks as though the Isinglass kit may be Gresley teak-sided. However, the photos you sent me of the finished kit  by Green Howards seem to be steel sided. Isinglass are very fast to reply to enquiries, but if they are steel-sided, then the standard roof would be OK. I THINK the picture behind the Semi shows this shape, but the lower one doesnt.

Edited by rowanj
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John just found the Steve Banks website the lower photo is of a dia 170 set at Nottingham Victoria...do you think they are the same as the bromsgrove set.? I always wanted to be a detective but valued my marriage more...

The discussion on "Wright Writes" concluded that the LNER diagram didn't actually correspond with the coaches as built, and so the Isinglass kit should have a standard simple roof, like Thompson stock, not one with the Gresley dome.

They are the final form of Tourist Stock in steel. If the Isinglass kit still has the dome then it shouldn't be too diffcult to fix it provided the parts are modified prior to assembly.

John.

• Thanks 1

Sincere thanks to both of you, it is really appreciated. I will be contacting isinglass about the possibility of their producing it as a kit. I was struck by the similarity with later Thompson’s  and have been mulling over cut and shuts from old triang Hornby thompson’s...I think the widows are the wrong size...or using their roof   / coach ends with the existing  isinglass dia 307 kit

must concentrate on getting 44660 finished first...and  Galatea..

best wishes Brian

Edited by 46256
  • Friendly/supportive 1

44660 ex works about to join Saltley’s fleet...being  freshly out shopped will probably find herself on the 4 40 pm Water Orton to Carlisle via the settle route.. could probably benefit from having motion brakes etc added first mind...

image.jpg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

A polite enquiry to Isinglass has had a prompt reply from the proprietor Andrew. The kit now includes the straight Thompson style roofs...Andrew also make the interiors...will be ordering and showing the build here. Thank you to all who assisted with this enquiry. I have commented to John R this is when our hobby really impresses, when fellow modellers share knowledge and assistance.

• Informative/Useful 1

Just to add to the LNER artic variety shared the below photo 1963 Castle Bromwich with Andrew ( Headstock) He guided me to the below Bill Bedford etched sides now added to the awaiting delivery list I’m about to retire and these projects are in the alternative keeping me busy list The main list as you might know is my wife’s domain

82DBE9F0-4BB9-49A8-B15C-1096B57DFE9C.jpeg

8FDF04FD-B7AC-4EC9-912E-A828B218D4A6.jpeg

• Like 5

Curious and curiouser...I had seen this on another thread. I’m an Amazon prime member so might be an exclusive to members...in addition I’m a blooming hypocrite as about to be revealed. I had read, probably on the Hornby Thompson Pacific’s thread that someone had purchased a Hornby A2/3 on Amazon for £125. I had never seen them that cheap about £165 being the cheapest. Having some “not going abroad “ funds available, as witnessed by above coach purchase, decided to look again at Amazon. There it was £125.... and even more surprising supplied by Hornby via Amazon. I’ve duly bought one...and yes feeling very guilty not supporting model shops in the process. I’m not going into the debate about these models especially the green and lining...I had mentioned on John Rs thread....excellent read by the way , as indeed are John T, Mark, and Manna’s ....usual ten per cent gents, that the green on my A2/2 was the same as my mid seventies Mainline Scot...probably the same paint tin in the factory in Hong Kong.

You might be forgiven in wondering where my modelling allegiances lie , my Eastern big stuff are starting to accumulate...and a Churchward 47 xx recently worked on....need some more Jubes to balance the books, and when I start feeling too Eastern or western a quick delve into 92220’s,  wonderful Camden bank layout,  brings me back to my true modelling love.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hornby Steady Aim just arrived. In full working order just had to open the back to backs on tender wheels slightly. A great runner, just had my Southern Pride Royal Mail sorting vehicles together with the Bachmann TPO plus other stock, easily going around the layout.  I can remember back in the day standing at an exhibition and seeing a Thompson pacific in the fiddle yards. I had to beg the operator...a confirmed Gresley man , I suspect, to give it a run. I was mesmerised then as now by the cylinders and valve gear behind the front bogie. 

• Like 2

John I agree concerning nameplates both the Hornby models deserve that extra bit of  expense  given their quality . Gday Manna  noting your ability to source models from unlikely starting points and turn them into excellent examples of that class . The GBL black five is an excellent starting point I have been working on mine in the sauna which my loft becomes in the rare weather we are currently having in Uk. i do remember my first attempt at detailing a five was with the original Hornby model I added the missing millimetres to the boiler . Happy days made a change from trying to convert the Triang Princess into one .

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

G'Day Folks

I can remember back in the 60's modellers, trying to make Black 5's and Jubilee's, from Princess's, and J39's J19's and C1's from B12's, always inspired me to try to make something different.

manna

• Agree 2

Nameplates ordered...apparently there has been quite a demand for these two locomotives. The isinglass coach kit arrived yesterday...slight glitch only one bogie was included. A quick phone call to Andrew..two more now in post...he did say it would be a bit difficult for an artic unit to run on only one...will show the build when safe to go into loft without melting

• Friendly/supportive 1

Well you might be forgiven for thinking a fool and their money are soon parted. I couldn’t resist it just ordered a class d2/7 hudswell clarke 060 dm 3D body kit from railway mania. The loco has always appealed given its steam loco appearance and ungainly chassis...speaking of which I need to source a Bachmann class 03. At this rate, it won’t just be this years not going on holiday money being spent.

9115BD29-50CD-4E15-9DA2-2C2D1DF0A6CF.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The black five still on workbench. The chassis now running as I want it, replaced the Hornby wheels with Romfords. The reason , with plastic centred wheels  I find , you need pick ups on all tyres , if using my preferred coiled phos bronze wire spring method, touching the tyre. This can create a degree of “drag” I’ve found. My high level motor and gear combos seem to be happy with it...portescap you could tie a lead weight to the chassis and they will still pull....this canon / comet however never happy...anyway the Romfords , with one side uninsulated, and therefore no requirement for pick ups has produced a sweet runner. Brakes now added , now for the motion. A job I dislike, the fettling required to get a cross head to slide between the slide bars...too much filed away can produce unwanted slop too little, more of that drag and strain on motor impeding running. One thing I now do as standard is solder in a piece of brass tube inside the cylinder for the cross head rod to ride in .More soon getting cooler...loft more welcoming..

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just a bit of info , not really dealt with a resin creation. I’ve just tried to separate the sprue from the isinglass coach sides. I tried using a craft knife...snapped corners off two sides very easily. Andrew does warn about the brittle nature of resin..now confirmed. The corners reattached without problem by superglue. I’ve also been reading the instructions for the D2/7 on the Railway mania web page. They recommend using a product called primer filler....sprayed from a can then careful sanding on their resin creation.  Can ordered from Amazon, bit of a learning curve..

Accessories ..steps brake rods and cylinder drainpipes added to 60512... managed to dislodge the main pipe running along left hand boiler...it is is fragile..reattached ok...seems I have the clumsy bug today

Lastly first set of slidebars and cross head to class five cylinders...one to go

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rowanj said:

I always use my Xuron cutters, Brian, and never a knife. I find Halfords  primer filler works well on resin. 

A railway modelers work is never done

Totally agree about using the Xurons, these are generally good for cutting parts off sprues on plastic kits as well.

To clean up the Isinglass resin, I used the metal nail files from Boots, which give a firm flat surface suitable, for example, for clearing the insides of window frames.

It's worth giving the resin a good wash and scrub in warm water and Cif/ Jif, just to help get rid of the stickiness from the printing process.

John.

• Informative/Useful 1