The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

Well, I have no period locos, (4 non period), 1, yes, one, period wagon, (15 non period), and 1, and tw0 nearly finished, period coaches, (3 non period, one Hornby four wheeler, and three Thomas coaches).  I am ignoring Percy and Thomas, the Class 37 diesel that can hardly pull itself let alone anything else, and a class 87 electric.  (Sorry to use foul language on your thread.)  My excuse is they were bought for my children.  I have various other wagons in a state of being half finished.  I am able to run the first three trains of the day on my timetable.

Will any of your SECR coaches be ex LC&DR?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

Nice collection of stock LOL. Don't worry about the foul language I have a Tri-ang EM2 electric as well as various diesels amongst my "other" stock. My excuse is I used to just buy everything LOL, although the EM2 was given to me.

I will definitely have some ex-SER, I also have drawings for some ex-LCDR so I'm sure they will get made at some point and if some were to be offered to me for a good price I would have them.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

Nice collection of stock LOL. Don't worry about the foul language I have a Tri-ang EM2 electric as well as various diesels amongst my "other" stock. My excuse is I used to just buy everything LOL, although the EM2 was given to me.

I will definitely have some ex-SER, I also have drawings for some ex-LCDR so I'm sure they will get made at some point and if some were to be offered to me for a good price I would have them.

Gary

Gary,

The reason I ask is that the other railway that interests me is the LCDR.  I doubt I will ever build a layout for it as really I would like to do Faversham, which is too big.  However, if you built some 4 wheelers from them I would be most interested.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I heard some rumours about strange carriages at Oak Hill so being the responsible photographer that I am I headed down there with my camera to document them, and I was not disappointed!

There was a Terrier sitting in the station with 2 long carriages behind it, not the 4 wheelers that we are used too. and the rear one had what looked like a cab in it!! I couldn't believe my eyes!! These must be a new thing for The Brighton as I haven't heard of any carriages like this before.

Don't believe me?? Just look at the pictures I took!!

post-22762-0-31727600-1486369253_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-30687000-1486369255_thumb.jpg

And back to reality. So I have made some 48ft push-pull carriages which are not 100% accurate but I think they look good enough, however you will have to wait until I upload some more photos to find out.................

Gary

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

So as guessed by Compound2632 my new push-pull set was modified from Ratio Midland coaches (Ratio 711 and 714 to be precise). I have had these kits for many years, and they had been made up as designed once upon a time.

Knowing these could be made to look like Brighton designed carriages I decided to take them apart and hack them about. So lets start with the originals of the images I posted yesterday:

post-22762-0-33412900-1486468191_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-28291700-1486468192_thumb.jpg

These have been quite heavily modified, the bogies have been shortened to 8ft (originally 10ft), the original grab rails have been removed and had LB&SCR style ones put in there place, The underframe detail has been removed and replaced, the footboards have been lowered by putting on the sides of the chassis upside down, the push-pull cab has been created, and interiors have been fitted. I still need to change the buffers and fit couplings. I am planning on using 3 links as this will be a permanently coupled set.

I am also planning of putting lighting into these at some point.

So picture of the cab end, I had to use the flash to show the detail:

post-22762-0-45635700-1486468416_thumb.jpg

and a shot of the interior of the seating areas showing all 3 classes:

post-22762-0-85890100-1486468194_thumb.jpg

one showing the luggage area and cab:

post-22762-0-37301700-1486468193_thumb.jpg

and a shot showing the driving cab detail, again I used the flash to show it better:

post-22762-0-03983900-1486468418_thumb.jpg

The cab end and interior were based on pictures from "The Southern Way - Issue 11"

So while these are not perfect I think they look good enough to be convincing LB&SCR carriages, what do you think??

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 8

Brilliant.

They have the right character, for sure. 

My favourite livery is the 1905-10 umber and white.  I wish the Brighton had applied it over a longer period.

The LNWR Ratio bogies are available separately.  They are of 8' w/b.  I think they could be modified to resemble Fox pattern bogies with relative ease. This might be a convenient option for future coaches.

Well done!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James,

I never even thought about the LNWR bogies! although to be honest the modification on the ones in the kit didn't take long.

I also like the Umber & White livery. I wish some of the older stock had got it as I think the Stroudley 4-wheelers would have looked good in it.

Gary

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Fantastic work once again Gary, they look marvellous. Always nice to see some good old kit bashing. :)

Alex

Edit: I plan on using a fair number of the Ratio kits (MR clerestory & LNWR arc roof) for Guilsborough. How easy are the kits to make? Do they go together well or do they need some fettling?

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Alex,

When I built these the first time around (following the instructions) I painted them on the sprue and once dry I built them both in an afternoon!! and they were one of if not the first kits I had built since my Airfix days which were at least 10 years before!

Gary

• Like 1

Some further thoughts on this.  Below are sides from the Ratio Midland Third posed with some LB&SCR carriage drawings.

The vertical panel divisions match up quite well.  The generous width of the Midland Third class compartments better matches the Brighton's Seconds in some cases, but the Midland Third matches up pretty well with the 48' coach and the Balloon coach pictured.

Here we have:

(i) A full length shot showing the Ratio side below a drawing of a 48' Third of 1895.  I believe that few of these were allocated to sets, so it would be a useful strengthing coach that I imagine you could use with just about any train.

(ii) The Ratio side beside some Second Class accommodation on a 1905 54' carriage.

(iii) A full length shot showing the Ratio side below a drawing of a Balloon Third Brake, also of 1905.  This looks to me to be a good match, though the reproduction is fractionally over-scale (the drawing is overall 2mm too long).   

post-25673-0-02008500-1486482209_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-70160300-1486482230_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-12656400-1486482260_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And that is actually the kit I wanted to use, but I didn't have one so had to use the 7-compartment 1st instead! I do plan on making more of these in the future using the right kit so seeing it next to those drawings is very helpful.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some further thoughts on this.  Below are sides from the Ratio Midland Third posed with some LB&SCR carriage drawings.

The vertical panel divisions match up quite well.  The generous width of the Midland Third class compartments better matches the Brighton's Seconds in some cases, but the Midland Third matches up pretty well with the 48' coach and the Balloon coach pictured.

Here we have:

(i) A full length shot showing the Ratio side below a drawing of a 48' Third of 1895.  I believe that few of these were allocated to sets, so it would be a useful strengthing coach that I imagine you could use with just about any train.

(ii) The Ratio side beside some Second Class accommodation on a 1905 54' carriage.

(iii) A full length shot showing the Ratio side below a drawing of a Balloon Third Brake, also of 1905.  This looks to me to be a good match, though the reproduction is fractionally over-scale (the drawing is overall 2mm too long).   

Edwardian is aware of my strongly-held views on the inappropriateness of the Ratio Midland suburban carriage sides for representing the panelled stock of other railways or, indeed, earlier Midland carriages, owing to the unusually deep waist and eves panels. These photos of the sides against the Brighton drawings (even if those are only diagrams) illustrates the point. The exception may be the North Eastern carriages built from 1890 until Bain moved to the Midland in 1902 and possibly later - the famous dynamometer car is a case in point.

• RMweb Gold

Edwardian is aware of my strongly-held views on the inappropriateness of the Ratio Midland suburban carriage sides for representing the panelled stock of other railways or, indeed, earlier Midland carriages, owing to the unusually deep waist and eves panels. These photos of the sides against the Brighton drawings (even if those are only diagrams) illustrates the point. The exception may be the North Eastern carriages built from 1890 until Bain moved to the Midland in 1902 and possibly later - the famous dynamometer car is a case in point.

While I can see exactly what you mean, and I do hope I do not offend with the following comment, but they seem to be more accurate than my track so I shall carry on using them. After all I am a proud coarse-scale modeller and make no illusions to the accuracy of my stock.

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 6

End of the day it's about using your imagination and if for example someone doesn't have the skills or cash to go down the brass route, for me the Ratio kits have been used for multiple things LBSC, SECR ect.. seen them used on a few layouts even exhibition ones of the Isle of Wight and I know how difficult that is to model after talking to someone at Scaleforum quite incredible the detail he was going to.
 End of the day if your happy with what you have achieved then be proud of it, there are different levels of modeller here, and we do what we can do, and hopefully in time become a better modeller, and pickup new things.

End of the day... it's your layout

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fair enough and as you both say, one has to work with what's available in the materials one's happy working with. But for the record, the waist panels of the Bain carriages are 7 3/4" deep, about 50% over-scale for the 5" deep waist panels of earlier Clayton-designed Midland carriages*, compared to the 12% under-scale of 00 track!

*I don't have a dimensioned drawing of the Brighton stock in question.