The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Hi Corbs,

No the Manning Wardle is brass. It was built as my first attempt using it so that I can add another skill to what I can do. I also plan on making the LB&SCR L Class mostly from brass. Everything else I have made on the layout is platicard though.

Gary

• Like 2

And now it is time for the third and final anniversary update for Oak Hill!! (and we have already picked up follower number 31!)

The official unveiling of LB&SCR Manning Wardle "Oak Hill" (It was in 2 pictures of the last update, but you didn't see that did you?)

attachicon.gifoakHill1.jpg

attachicon.gifoakHill2.jpg

attachicon.gifoakHill3.jpg

I think it has come out quite well. I did consider other colours for it but I didn't think it would really fit in on the layout in industrial colours, maybe I could make one painted in Oak Hill Railway Company colours one day, but not at the moment.

It has been finished for about 2 weeks now and it a wonderful little engine, would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks for looking,

Gary

Smashing job and what a characterful addition to the fleet!

You must feel a very proud Daddy of this little 'bug'.  You deserve to be.

Looks good in lined IEG.  The Brighton had lots of funny little old engines, so it convinces in Stroudley get-up. Really impressed with the transfers.

The West Norfolk would be proud to have such an engine, so you provide me with further encouragement.

Oh, and Happy Anniversary!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

Happy Anniversary.  The Manning Wardle looks top heavy as if it has its shoulders hunched up, Exactly as it should be!  There is a Cambrian Manning Wardle, but I should really keep going on the coaches for now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another week, another 2 locos!!

Admittedly one of them is just a repaint using the final transfers from the batch I made, but still. We will start with that one so I give you LB&SCR number 672 "Fenchurch":

post-22762-0-87502600-1485880327_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-02422600-1485880329_thumb.jpg

and after much waiting I finally got a chassis for my E5 and so work commenced on that over the weekend:

post-22762-0-65990200-1485880325_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-73087900-1485880326_thumb.jpg

It has now been added to the list of locos waiting for me to find the motivation to make some more transfers. However I feel I should move onto some other stock as I now have enough locos to fill the loco yard with them all sitting buffer to buffer!!

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 8

Guest Midland Mole

Really nice job on the Terrier, those transfers have worked brilliantly. And I look forward to eventually seeing the E5 finished. :)

I know what you mean about rolling stock. I have loads of locos for Guilsborough but only a few wagons/coaches (hardly any compared to what I need). I need to concentrate on getting more of those over the next few months.

What will you do first, coaches or wagons?

Alex

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Alex,

For the time being I have enough wagons to operate the layout, most of them aren't correct but I have them! so initially I plan on building some carriages (the LB&SCR didn't call them coaches) possibly some slightly "newer" (when compared to the 4 wheelers anyway) LB&SCR ones but also then some SECR ones as well as I don't have any carriage stock for the SECR at all!!

Gary

Edit: Just to add some figures when this time last year Oak Hill had 3 Terriers and the C Class and I now have 15 locos!!! With not much extra to show in the way of other stock

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 2

I know what you mean about rolling stock. I have loads of locos for Guilsborough but only a few wagons/coaches (hardly any compared to what I need). I need to concentrate on getting more of those over the next few months.

I'm in the opposite situation.  I have over 100 items of rolling stock (of which only a dozen or so are coaches) and only 8 locos, one of whose sole duty is hauling the Officer's saloon!

Jim

• Like 3

Guest Midland Mole

No carriage stock for the SECR, that will have to rectified at once. 11 locos in one year....sounds good to me. :)

Over 100 items of stock, those 8 engines must be kept REALLY busy Jim! :D

Alex

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry Alex, I have been collecting an extensive set of drawings for the SECR and I have a plan!! I am happy with 11 locos in a year, especially since that doesn't include a body I found for an SECR loco that has yet to grace this thread!

Gary

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Oooh, I always like to hear about plans in motion...and another engine yet to be seen. I will have to double my watch on the thread. ;)

Alex

• Like 1

Over 100 items of stock, those 8 engines must be kept REALLY busy Jim! :D

Nearly half of them are mineral wagons which spend most of their time sitting in the interchange sidings or residing in the cassette which represents the colliery!

Jim

• Like 2

I'm in the opposite situation.  I have over 100 items of rolling stock (of which only a dozen or so are coaches) and only 8 locos, one of whose sole duty is hauling the Officer's saloon!

Jim

I think I have a relatively good balance , 11 locos, roughly 60 wagons, and only 12 carriages I think including 3 PLVs  ,  the problem is space on the layout ;)  It's really only suitable for about 8 locos, but there's going to be at least 15/16 by the end of the year aha. There's certainly no room to have all the rolling stock on the layout at one time.

I think in the future instead of a roundy-roundy I might have a too-and-throwy(?)  with a fiddlers yard. ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

a too-and-throwy(?)  with a fiddlers yard. ;)

Properly known as an end-to-end but I like the term too-and-throwy, so I might steal that for future use.

Technically my balance of stock for the layout is WAY out with only 4 carriages, 8 wagons and a brake van actually suitable!! But that doesn't stop me using the rest of the stuff I have for the time being, although I refuse to use my rather large collection of BR Mk1s!!!!!!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I really like those two loco additions. The Marsh umber suits the Terriers - well it suits any loco! Agree about the E classes too, it's funny because normally I'm not a fan of "boxy" locos, but these are so elegant. Is it too late to persuade you to do the E5 in umber? :-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Is it too late to persuade you to do the E5 in umber? :-)

Thanks Mikkel,

Yes it's too late lol. The E5 is going to be number 591 "Tillington" which survived in IEG until 1917! and worked the Grand Vitesse van trains from London Bridge to Newhaven. It will appear in this role on my exhibition layout (I must remember to get that out the cupboard and wire it up one day!!) with the train having been re-directed down the Cuckoo Line, for whichever reason I feel like giving at the time.

Gary

• Like 5

Jim

Crikey, Jim, even the Fat Controller had at least 10!

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

I currently have 7 locos, 2 carriages and about 12 wagons. This count is just the stuff for my layout, not all the stuff I own. :)

Alex

• RMweb Gold

With all these counts of locos, coaches, and wagons, are you allowed to count the unfinished, or just the finished?

I counted everything I have started work on. Some of that isn't finished yet.

This count is just the stuff for my layout, not all the stuff I own.

I only counted things for Oak Hill. I have somewhere around 50 locos in total! and other than the ones for Oak Hill they all have a train to pull.

Gary

• Like 1