On 28/08/2020 at 08:39, Nearholmer said:

What is our negotiating strategy?

I may have misunderstood (not surprising since nobody explained it cogently), but it seems to me to amount to: give us what we want, or else we’ll do all sorts of things that harm us more than they’ll harm you.

The bargaining-chip we had up our sleeve, to leave the EU, thereby threatening ‘The Project’ and weakening Europe’s position vis-a-vis Russia, The US etc, we already exercised, so it’s a bit late for that one.

Our negotiating strategy?

I guess that would to not be seen to be begging for mates rates, WTO rules ok.

• Funny 1
  • RMweb Gold
On 28/08/2020 at 08:39, Nearholmer said:

What is our negotiating strategy?

• Funny 2
50 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Cf. The Dam Busters.

There's to be an alleged remake of The Dam Busters. Gibsons batman will have to run around shouting "Digger, Digger!"

It sounds like "Dottingham" in the Tunes advert....

In his second attempt to by his ticket, he flashes what appears to be a green banknote. A second class return to Nottingham for less than a pound?  Good value for the mid-80s!

Edited by Hroth
  • Funny 1
30 minutes ago, Hroth said:

There's to be an alleged remake of The Dam Busters. Gibsons batman will have to run around shouting "Digger, Digger!"

They'd better not release it over here then...

• Funny 2
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It seems a rather pointless exercise to even make the damn thing...

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1
17 hours ago, Hroth said:

It sounds like "Dottingham" in the Tunes advert....

In his second attempt to by his ticket, he flashes what appears to be a green banknote. A second class return to Nottingham for less than a pound?  Good value for the mid-80s!

In the early 80s I could get a day return from Coventry to Rugby for 76p.

Adrian

22 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Moving along, elsewhere mention has been made of a rather sweet little S.W. Johnson locomotive. We await developments!

1906740906_GER2-4-0No.1ClassLittleSharpieNo_48.jpg.e9237406fc644285fafbd150b7520da4.jpg

:D

• Like 7
18 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

They'll probably digitise the whole thing anyway;  one flyable Lancaster does not a movie make!  Besides, they wouldn't want anything happen to it, otherwise no flyovers!

Brian.

• Like 1

And I'm guessing that that article was written in about 2009? So a gestation period of 14 years so far....

Am I the only one who wonders why there is an obsession with remakes? Have we actually run out of stories?

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Looks a bit hilly for Lincolnshire...

New Zealand tends not to be very flat.  So great for Lord of the Rings, - terrible for a Lincolnshire airfield. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, uax6 said:

Am I the only one who wonders why there is an obsession with remakes? Have we actually run out of stories?

A bit like new productions of Shakespeare plays, or yet another performance of Handel’s Messiah?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Yeah some of them old masters are cracked and frankly a bit dinggy , someone should have a go at doing them again, or at least giving them a. bit of a tickle with a brushload of Dulux like that Spanish cleaning lady did to that picture of some bloke in her church.images.jpeg.d9b08ffa2faa14e22b6988634f40be71.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Admittedly I am not an admirer of much contemporary culture, but I also do not understand this expenditure on 're-making ' films which were indicative and evocative of the times in which they were originally made. How can anyone claim that 'The Italian Job' or 'Get Carter' could be 'improved' ?

Re-interpreted, or revised possibly, but of far less interest.

Anyway, on more important subjects for those who live in NE England, may I recommend the current Norman Cornish exhibition at the Bowes Museum. I went yesterday, and will have to visit again before it moves on in January.

( I will also have to find some more wall space for pictures.)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, uax6 said:

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

A bit like new productions of Shakespeare plays, or yet another performance of Handel’s Messiah?

Remakes of Shakespeare have been going on since the 17th Century, there'll always be a "modern dress", or casting women in parts, or , how can I put this, "non-europeans" as principal characters, along with cutting dialogue and scenes. All for modern political relevance or to massage egos.  Musical works are ego driven too, or reflect research on historical performance practices, or a blinding flash of interperative inspiration. Or because people like performing them!

Another factor with productions of Shakespeare and Handel is that the raw materiel is all OUT OF COPYRIGHT.

Films are slightly different. While remakes might be ego driven, politically adjusted for current sensibilities or situated in locations far away from their origins, the motivation is to preseve copyright in visual representation of characters and "story". Disney are masters at this.

The thing is, we don't have to watch the remakes!

• Like 2

All films, play-productions, musical performances (popular and high-brow) speak as much of the time in which they are produced as of the time which they are intended to evoke, so film re-makes are possibly worth having as cultural artefacts of their time, for the purposes of comparative study (which can also be popular, in the pub, or high-brow, in a thesis).

But, Hroth is right, which is a real mercy - I was so upset by what the fairly-modern US film industry did to The Ladykillers that I’m not sure I’ve ever properly recovered from it. 

Even Wikipedia says:

The Ladykillers received mixed reviews upon release, and several critics consider it one of the Coen brothers' weaker efforts, negatively comparing it to the English classic.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Friendly/supportive 2
40 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Another factor with productions of Shakespeare and Handel is that the raw materiel is all OUT OF COPYRIGHT.

Also that the raw material is a work of genius, bearing multiple re-interpretations. 

• Agree 1