9 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

Point  order can we get back to serious things 

Will CA have a through service to Luxembourg ?

Isn't that the one via Doggerland?

Given the misery that will ensue over the next six weeks, perhaps we could get away from burning Guy Fawkes on the 5th November to celebrate something that took place over 300 years ago and modernise it.  Perhaps toasting a blobby-like figure on 31st October?

Edited by Hroth
  • Funny 3

3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

9 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

Point  order can we get back to serious things 

Will CA have a through service to Luxembourg ?

8 hours ago, Edwardian said:

If we must!

Would that be a Parliamentary Train?

If so, I think that service has been cancelled. 

In any case, I think we just sent a hot air balloon over, but it was too much of a light-weight to carry anything of substance, and I think it was punctured soon after arrival.  

Oh do try to keep up! ;)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Old Kev's Grumpy Philosophy on Everything Discussed by The Parish Council Today:

1. People are naturally selfish, looking after number one and number one's immediate family, and seeking to secure as much resource to themselves as possible.

I hope that cheers everyone up!

Despite the self evident truth of the above people can be quite generous when they percieve a real need. Both in terms of donating to disaster appeals  and also to helping out neighbours. There also seems to be a sense of fairness in many people.  That we are capable of such contrary attitudes may be an important factor.

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I thought I was doing pretty well, considering that the last few pages seem to have taken on the texture of an "In Our Time" symposium.

:sorry:

Well, yesterday did grow a bit dark as I railed against bomb-toting Suffragettes (like the IRA, but with nagging), so today I have decided to Move On. Please pardon the odd out-break of apparent misogyny.  I don't mean it, it's merely a cathartic reaction to too much white middle-aged male bashing on Radio 4.  I call it "the Jenni Murray Effect", and it helps to restore Balance to the Universe.   

I am progressing with the test track, having cut out the raised track bed, I now need to raise it.  Pictures would probably be even duller than the description, so I will spare you. 

CA remains at a stand still.  Having pronounced my attempts to build curved bullhead points using C&L components a failure some months (years?) ago, that's been that. 

In order to keep spirits up I have decided to introduce a New Feature. This will, hopefully, replace Pre-Raff of the Day, which fell foul of the Me Too movement when the curator of Liverpool Art Gallery made me take them all down and insisted upon a "conversation"  about the male gaze and the objectification of women (nagging).

This New Feature, which will, you'll agree, be Beyond Reproach, is to be called Ditch of the Day.  Do feel free to contribute as before. 

First up is a lovely ditch found near the delightfully named Belchford in Lincolnshire.

1978058154_DitchneartoBelchfordLincolnshire.jpg.01b5eee3422576ba97defdd602d8174b.jpg

It appears to be intended to run a straight and narrowly constrained course, yet in trying to reach its destination it  has clearly needed to wriggle and jink in places. Unfortunately, its end is not in sight

As a last resting place it clearly, therefore, has some metaphoric advantages, while providing good cover for the politically agoraphobic from press, protesters and Parliamentarians.  Further, its location in the wide Lincolnshire fens is likely to prove disorientating to rampaging Luxembourgians.

I now open the feature to contributions from the Floor. 

Edited by Edwardian
grammar
  • Like 7
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

Well, after all that I think as pre-grouping people there is one incontrovertible fact that we can all agree on: that the London and North Western Railway was, and so always will be the Premier Railway of Great Britain

arch-on-a-grand-scale.jpg

Steady on you might start a controversey!

Don

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

Well, after all that I think as pre-grouping people there is one incontrovertible fact that we can all agree on: that the London and North Western Railway was, and so always will be, the Premier Railway of Great Britain :D

With an unscrupulous buccaneer at the helm?

259831734_MarkHuish.jpg.3cdbe5e77c21d074bd432da5be4c8a14.jpg

Heck, the Midland started out no better:

258899615_GeorgeHudson.jpeg.8578eff50039450405d31cfb3fd41cac.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

This New Feature, which will, you'll agree, be Beyond Reproach, is to be called Ditch of the Day.  Do feel free to contribute as before. 

Will we find the Incredible Hulk lying in one?

(no more pre-raffs?  Noooooooooooooooooooooo......)

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Annie said:

No it's not.  It's an 'Autoped'.   https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/11/08/autoped/

Thanks for the link Annie. An interesting article, though it is splashed with pictures of unmotorised scooters as well as the motorised ones.

The article also unfortunately labels Lady Florence and her mother as suffragettes when they were in fact leading suffragists. But we've already been over the differences of that on here!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My ditch of the day... It's straight, 60 yards long, and you have to swim there and back. The world record was set last year at 1 min 18.81 seconds!

image.png.ec4f77eec75cc0d4c105a16d98eb8829.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-28937459

For those of you that don't know, this is the World Bog Snorkelling Championships that have been held near Llanwrtyd Wells, my mother's home town, every year since 1986 except 1995 (due to drought) and 2001 (due to the foot and mouth outbreak).

Sorry, nothing railway related at all in this post, but you did ask for a ditch!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Anotheran said:

My ditch of the day... It's straight, 60 yards long, and you have to swim there and back. The world record was set last year at 1 min 18.81 seconds!

image.png.ec4f77eec75cc0d4c105a16d98eb8829.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-28937459

For those of you that don't know, this is the World Bog Snorkelling Championships that have been held near Llanwrtyd Wells, my mother's home town, every year since 1986 except 1995 (due to drought) and 2001 (due to the foot and mouth outbreak).

Sorry, nothing railway related at all in this post, but you did ask for a ditch!

Kind regards, Neil

Thanks, Neil.  Nice ditch and that does look like a top event.

Unfortunately for our purposes, I would be concerned that there is too much room for floundering. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Donw said:

Despite the self evident truth of the above people can be quite generous when they percieve a real need. Both in terms of donating to disaster appeals  and also to helping out neighbours. There also seems to be a sense of fairness in many people.  That we are capable of such contrary attitudes may be an important factor.

Don

Enlightened long-term self-interest is the key to resolving most problems.

Remember: people don't wage wars, governments do.

30 minutes ago, Anotheran said:

To avoid upsetting Stephen, I will refrain from making any lascivious remarks.

• Thanks 1

Stopping for a coffee in the middle of a bike ride.

Had hoped to find something slimy, foul-smelling, and vermin-infested to contribute DotD, but it’s one of those beautiful days when everything looks wonderful, so this roadside rill is the best I can offer.

A spring-line in Lower Greensand, for the geologists.

E8723E5F-5C22-4E6E-B0A8-5DF28E04BBB5.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, webbcompound said:

Well, after all that I think as pre-grouping people there is one incontrovertible fact that we can all agree on: that the London and North Western Railway was, and so always will be, the Premier Railway of Great Britain :D

Ah - the Euston Square Confederacy tries again!

These commercial monopolies just won't give up will they?

I would stand up for the plucky little GNR in this dispute.

I am also glad that the LNWR didn't manage to bully it's way into Hartlepool.

Edited by drmditch
Poor spelling on a tablet computer!
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1