23 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

and you brought to mind this 

introduced to me by a girl from the local High school ( the rest is censored)

Nick

Ohhhhhh....

We're back to "Girls that mother warned me about"?

The artwork looks like it should be the cassette sleeve for a ZX Spectrum adventure game:

? "Look East"

"You see a blasted landscape with smoke clinging to the horizon, there is the sound of distant wailing"

"There is a gold ring lying on the ground"

? "Take ring"

"As you take the ring, the sky darkens and a chorus of doom laden voices chant inside your head"

"Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul"

?

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Compared with here, the Hotel California is a pretty benign place...

Actually, that's a bit of a coincidence, I found that when I was sorting through a bunch of CDs this evening.  I also found Led Zepps 4 Symbols too.  (You know, Pathway to Paradise, etc)

And a Van Der Graaf Generator collection, and Rick Wakemans Journey to the Centre of the Earth, and Tubular Bells, and Live at the Witch Trials....

CDs? I must be getting old. I've got most of those on LPs.

Incidentally, there's a nice 009 layout in the September Railway Modeller that features a number of Led Zep allusions in place names and business names.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm still stuck in the more radical discussion it would seem - I was just listening to this:

It's been a long day, with several discussions that have seen me branded in all manner of ways - Several words ending in 'ist', another in 'phobic'...

• Friendly/supportive 5

25 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

CDs? I must be getting old. I've got most of those on LPs.

So have I, the CDs were just for convenience. I must admit that I've Tubular Bells on cassette* too!

(I'm one of those who handle LPs properly...)

* Bought from a shop, not copied.  :sungum:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Ohhhhhh....

We're back to "Girls that mother warned me about"?

The artwork looks like it should be the cassette sleeve for a ZX Spectrum adventure game:

? "Look East"

"You see a blasted landscape with smoke clinging to the horizon, there is the sound of distant wailing"

"There is a gold ring lying on the ground"

? "Take ring"

"As you take the ring, the sky darkens and a chorus of doom laden voices chant inside your head"

"Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul"

?

far from it Mother taught me to respect the girls  ( transferring schools  for A levels was a tad  embarrassing finding two ex boos in the upper 6th)

Nick

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Here is the Ditch or, as our Kiwi neighbours call it, the Dtch:

highly-detailed-planet-earth-night-600w-

Wot? we speak proper we do.

At the rate the posts have been going up lately it'll be a 1000 pages in no time.

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Annie said:

At the rate the posts have been going up lately it'll be a 1000 pages in no time.

I thought thet would git you going...

Other readers might find this helpful:

how-to-speak-nz.gif

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Well we all manage to understand each other just fine when we spik Kiwi.

And what St Enodoc has posted is quite true we really do spik lik thet.

We had an American priest in the parish for about a year and he struggled for quite a while with our particular English dialect until he got used to us all.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

To the British ear, accents are not always immediately distinguishable. In cases of antipodean doubt, it's usually safest to assume New Zealander, in North American cases, Canadian.

I was once in a queue at John Lewis with a very vigorous conversation going on behind me between two ladies, in a language I did not immediately recognise, apart from the repeated phrase "very pale green". From the intonation of that phrase, I assumed Hindi, until I turned round and realised it must be Welsh.

Here's a pre-Grouping New Zealander for you: 

Charles_Rous-Marten.jpg.bc4210521064decb85c9d91fc938f244.jpg

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Loving this. Dated a Kiwi for a while 'Back in the Day' and this opened up fantastic new possibilities, like speech without vowel sounds!

I hear that she ended up 50% of a DINK in Sydney, and wasn't there some (in)famous quote about the effect of such Antipodean migrations on national average IQs  (he asks, innocently)?

(.....  and runs for cover).

As I recall, big pouty lips and legs all the way to the top, as they say.  Looking back I often have cause to question the priorities of the Young Edwardian.  Mind you, given my subsequent history, I reckon she had a lucky escape.  They all did, come to that. 

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

37 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I assumed Hindi, until I turned round and realised it must be Welsh.

Many years ago, we were returning from a holiday in  Wales and stopped for petrol at a small rural garage.  We got out to stretch legs (it was taking some time, the pump was hand operated!) and could hear from the workshop a stream of voluable Welsh interspersed with English technical terms...

7 hours ago, Annie said:

New Zealanders have a very attractive accent.

I used to work with a Kiwi, I often had to stop myself from imitating how she spoke....  :wub:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Loving this. Dated a Kiwi for a while 'Back in the Day' and this opened up fantastic new possibilities, like speech without vowel sounds!

Yes we do tend to slide through our vowels without stopping to use them.  I live in a country town in a dairy farming district so the rural variation of Kiwi speak which tends to have more deeply fudged vowels is commonly heard.  Years of exposure to the BBC & etc on the telly does mean that we can speak actually employing vowels should we really have to.

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

15 minutes ago, Annie said:

Yes we do tend to slide through our vowels without stopping to use them.  I live in a country town in a dairy farming district so the rural variation of Kiwi speak which tends to have more deeply fudged vowels is commonly heard.  Years of exposure to the BBC & etc on the telly does mean that we can speak actually employing vowels should we really have to.

I love the Kiwi accent, indeed I take much joy in accents generally.  

Up here the accents are particularly magnificent.  And we have a Australian friend and neighbour; I could listen to him speak all day. 

Our club has quite some regional variation.  Our Chairman has a lovely Somerset burr. 

Accents, and dialect, are some of the glories of civilisation and we should embrace them all. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Many years ago, we were returning from a holiday in  Wales and stopped for petrol at a small rural garage.  We got out to stretch legs (it was taking some time, the pump was hand operated!) and could hear from the workshop a stream of voluable Welsh interspersed with English technical terms...

Mid-70s, we broke down in mid-Wales. My father had to walk to the garage we'd passed a couple of miles back. They didn't have the part so had to ring the next garage. My father reported that the only part of the conversation he understood was "Morris 1300".

• Like 3

A quick look at that Norfolk dialect thing suggests that, before travel and military service began to standardise vernacular English a bit, two little-travelled country people from different areas could have confused one another witless. Throshel in Norfolk, meaning threshold, sounds awfully like throssel in Sussex, meaning thrush, as a small instance.

I wonder how they got on in The New Model Army. Units communicating via multi-lingual junior officers, I guess, until they’d thrashed out a working dialect all of their own.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

A quick look at that Norfolk dialect thing suggests that, before travel and military service began to standardise vernacular English a bit, two little-travelled country people from different areas could have confused one another witless. Throshel in Norfolk, meaning threshold, sounds awfully like throssel in Sussex, meaning thrush, as a small instance.

I wonder how they got on in The New Model Army. Units communicating via multi-lingual junior officers, I guess, until they’d thrashed out a working dialect all of their own.

The different English regional accents in the 17th century are best preserved in the accents of the various eastern states of North America, settled by emigre puritans or cavaliers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The different English regional accents in the 17th century are best preserved in the accents of the various eastern states of North America, settled by emigre puritans or cavaliers.

So I have heard.

There was a fascinating documentary by a language coach. It did not answer its headline question -  why we speak in different accents in England - but it did use some archive recordings of captured English POWs of the Great War.  Where descendants still living in the areas from which a prisoner hailed were tracked down, in all cases the accents had weakened.  This decline was even perceptible where more than one living generation of the family was present.  Those living within the orbit of a metropolis had inevitably taken on something of the city's accent. 

It wasn't that any of the interviewees were speaking in a 'taught' accent like mine, but, for whatever reasons - fluidity of population, mass media, urbanisation and commuting - the rich, rural base of the grandfather or great grandfather had progressively been bled out. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Young people are particularly good at blending in with their surroundings, linguistically - and also at changing register to suit the context. (Although with scientific language this has to be taught explicitly by example - re-casting the statement just made in the appropriate language.) I don't know how strong the evidence is for this but it is said that older people, no longer dependent on the approval of others, tend to revert to the accent of their youth. I'm not aware of that in myself yet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It's an interesting point.  Now I'm older and don't care what anybody thinks I find myself using words and expressions I heard my English grandparents use when I was young; - which sometimes leads to me having to explain to my daughter the meaning of what I've just said.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Young people are particularly good at blending in with their surroundings, linguistically - and also at changing register to suit the context. (Although with scientific language this has to be taught explicitly by example - re-casting the statement just made in the appropriate language.) I don't know how strong the evidence is for this but it is said that older people, no longer dependent on the approval of others, tend to revert to the accent of their youth. I'm not aware of that in myself yet.

Yes, while my parents actively discouraged any lapse into the local village accent from early childhood, it was really the influence of school and university that did for what otherwise could have been a fairly neutral yet still North-East Midland accent.

The reversion to a native accent in old age is an interesting phenomenon.  I  think Lord Hailsham had always retained a trace of Hampshire, but his grammar School/Oxford smoothing of accent seems to have been abandoned in favour of much stronger Hampshire in this old age.

I see no trace of such a transition in me, but, as I say, I was never brought up to speak with the local native accent and couldn't do it if I tried. My son. on the other hand, now sounds distinctly Northern.  

• Like 4