• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Donw said:

Of course its relative the double bass is normally plucked

And slapped, but only in popular music...

Roles of the Violin family

Violin: Squeaky fiddly tunes

Viola: Dull and boring fill in bits

Cello: Lyrical passages that you don't need ear defenders for (Elgars Cello Concerto*, mmmmmmmmm.....)

Double Bass: Grumbly bottomless support

*  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPhkZW_jwc0

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Regularity said:

I would love to watch (from a safe distance) you cope with the onslaught from my daughter for making both those statements (calling it a relative of the cello is a seriously bad move - ask me how I know!) But ”normally plucked”? Oh dear...

The double bass isn't a true member of the violin family - it's the last descendant of the viols. Tuned in fourths, not fifths. I suspect the reason it has survived is entirely ergonomic - the more round-shouldered shape of a base violin would be difficult to reach round to play.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 01/09/2019 at 08:03, Donw said:

Every exhibitors nightmare forgetting something seemingly minor but actually essential. Not a bad idea to write out a check list and remember to go through it before setting off.  Of course if you can design out special items you have more chance of getting something in a local ironmongers. For eample I use split hinges to join boards and found that standard nails can be used to join them.

Don

I designed out the need for a forgettable part by making the board joining bolts captive

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Donw said:

It's all allowed but when learning they are keen you learn bowing techniques first. In an Orchestra plucking would normally be done with the cello vertical as usual otherwise you would be endangering the musician either side. You will note he did not stop to retract the end pin (or was it filmed in sections?).

Of course its relative the double bass is normally plucked and bowing is only ocassionally used.

Don

Any photos of someone with a DB on their knee?

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, drmditch said:

you also make viola players count very long rests

Same applies for the heavy brass. I used to hate rehearsals were you sat around for 20 minutes and just before your entry the conductor would tap his stand and say "right, let's run through that bit again".

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

For those who want something fairly short can I suggest firstly Firedance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNvmxBNqGTc or for something less traditional from Jack Bruce 

Both show the lovely warm tones of the instrument. And now perhaps we should return the cello to its case and our thoughts back to railways. 

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Any photos of someone with a DB on their knee?

No, but I do recall an episode of "The Beverley Hillbillies" where Jethro was convinced that you held and played a Bass Fiddle in the same manner as a violin...

A DB on the knee would be rather like cuddling a baby elephant.  :o

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It's no coincidence that "violin" is a near-homophone for "vile din".

Having lit the blue touch paper, I have retired... 

You may well do so!

7 hours ago, Donw said:

And now perhaps we should return the cello to its case and our thoughts back to railways. 

Perhaps, will this do?

Stokowski-conducts-on-train.jpg.ec182a68dbc0a9475f56edb48d2bd983.jpg

Stokowski conducts the Philadelphia Orchestra in a live NBC broadcast on a moving train in 1936

https://wrightmusicmanagement.com/projects-tours

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

For the premiere of Mendelssohn's Elijah at Birmingham Town Hall 26 August 1846, the London & Birmingham North Western* Railway organised a special train to convey the orchestra from London but there's no record of them having performed en route. Is there any earlier instance of a Theatrical Special?

*Amalgamation 16 July 1846.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Obviously easy to find wartime musician/railway intersections, but here is a non World War pre-grouping UK example. Not actually on the train, but here is the Ist Newtownards Boys Brigade Company Flute Band on the Belfast and County Down Railway platform at Newtownards some point between formation in 1919 and amalgamation in 1923

1st Newtownards company BB band at railway station.jpg

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

For the premiere of Mendelssohn's Elijah at Birmingham Town Hall 26 August 1846, the London & Birmingham North Western* Railway organised a special train to convey the orchestra from London but there's no record of them having performed en route. Is there any earlier instance of a Theatrical Special?

*Amalgamation 16 July 1846.

indeed there was

who has a working Triang Giraffe car ?

Nick

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, runs as required said:

I was rather hoping a Victorian Midland Pullman car might have had a genteel afternoon tea string-trio playing down through Millers Dale for Tideswell...

Kirby Muxlow

Mow Cop and Scholar Green

No more will I go to Blandford Forum and Mortehoe

On the Slow train from Midsomer Norton and Mumby Road

No churns, no porter, no cat on a seat.

At Chorlton-c*m-Hardy or Chester-le-Street

We won't be meeting again

On the slow train...

Bloody autocensor... 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Slow train indeed! Excuse me, those Midland Manchester expresses of the 1880s ran to pretty brisk timings. It wasn't enough just to outdo the North Western's pedestrian 40 mph expresses; on the other flank there were the Great Northern / Manchester Sheffield & Lincolnshire fliers to compete with. And all three running into the overcrowded London Road station.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Slow train indeed! Excuse me, those Midland Manchester expresses of the 1880s ran to pretty brisk timings....

The brisk timings existed still into my days of familiarity with the Midland - always our preferred way of travelling home from London behind a Patriot, either to Chinley then getting the bus to Whaley Bridge (of dodgy dam fame) or Millers Dale and the connection into the Midland side of Paxton's delightful twin Buxton stations. 

The Millers Dale bit always seemed wrong - the train definitely glided rapidly down (not railway up) from Millers Dale along past Litton mill, roared over Monsal Dale viaduct and on down alongside the Derwent into Derby.

dh

Edit

Bloody autocensor... 

Wife's (extremely severe) Great Aunt Louie lived out her days in a tall dark house in Chorlton * Hardy. We always wonder what she'd have made of the *

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, runs as required said:

The brisk timings existed still into my days of familiarity with the Midland - always our preferred way of travelling home from London behind a Patriot, either to Chinley then getting the bus to Whaley Bridge (of dodgy dam fame) or Millers Dale and the connection into the Midland side of Paxton's delightful twin Buxton stations. 

The Millers Dale bit always seemed wrong - the train definitely glided rapidly down (not railway up) from Millers Dale along past Litton mill, roared over Monsal Dale viaduct and on down alongside the Derwent into Derby.

dh

Edit

Wife's (extremely severe) Great Aunt Louie lived out her days in a tall dark house in Chorlton * Hardy. We always wonder what she'd have made of the *

Midland advertising. From a carriage window, or more likely, framed between your seat headrest and the luggage rack:

814915760_DY1739MonsalDaleWater-cum-Jolly.jpg.7c04366f1101e46bd675d9cceccb7817.jpg

Monsal Dale, Water-***-Jolly.

NRM DY 1739, released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6

Re 'The Slow Train'.

I understand that Chester-Le-Street is still accessible by train.

Not sure how many trains on the ECML stop there, but there is still a service.

(For the moment anyway, unless and until the whole system is sold off to Amtrack or something.)

Oh tempora oh mores.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Re 'The Slow Train'.

I understand that Chester-Le-Street is still accessible by train.

Not sure how many trains on the ECML stop there, but there is still a service.

(For the moment anyway, unless and until the whole system is sold off to Amtrack or something.)

Oh tempora oh mores.

Others too, such as St Erth to St Ives (or Snurfsnives, in the vernacular).