Warley NEC Exhibition November 26th and 27th 2016

Barry O

You could always extract some cash in advance and take it with you.

Anything you don't spend could of course be paid back into your account

That's what we all did before ATMs

Good grief, you seem to be suggesting that people should think ahead, for themselves. That's almost a breach of human rights these days you know. Everything is somebody else's responsibility according to the new way of thinking....

Unlike some of the other big shows Warley NEC show is put on by a model railway club for a model railway club. I recall 25 years or so ago when around half a dozen club members, including me, agreed to make the gigantic step of moving our exhibition to the NEC; it was quite scary at the time but it worked. One of the most important drivers for moving to the NEC was to put on a great showcase for our wonderful hobby. It was, and still is, fantastic to be involved. The show is only successful and only keeps going because the club members, and members of other local clubs, give their time for free. We don't discuss politics at the club but I can think of a number of my fellow members would be aghast at the thought of us being in cohorts with capitalists!

You should include exhibitors (and possibly demonstrators) in the list of those that give their time for free.  As an exhibitor it costs me (and the others in the operating team) money to take the layout to a show, despite receiving "out of pocket expenses". I put that down as part of the cost of my hobby and am fortunate that I can afford it. 

Sadly, there are those that don't see any of the larger model railway show as offering value for money and insist on complaining about the cost of entry, travel, parking, etc. If you don't like it, don't go, there will probably be other shows nearer you that are easier to get to and cheaper.

The Club don't control the car park charges so that is why they sent out the e-mail to help with potential money savings 298.

Baz

Does that extend to recommending punters bring their own food and drinks or purchase them en route at better value outlets...? Like I said I'm more surprised that the organisers are portraying the venue in such a negative light instead of keeping schtum over what the NEC thinks it can get away with.

Does that extend to recommending punters bring their own food and drinks or purchase them en route at better value outlets...? Like I said I'm more surprised that the organisers are portraying the venue in such a negative light instead of keeping schtum over what the NEC thinks it can get away with.

"Realistic" I would say

Paul A. 

You should include exhibitors (and possibly demonstrators) in the list of those that give their time for free.  As an exhibitor it costs me (and the others in the operating team) money to take the layout to a show, despite receiving "out of pocket expenses". I put that down as part of the cost of my hobby and am fortunate that I can afford it. 

Sadly, there are those that don't see any of the larger model railway show as offering value for money and insist on complaining about the cost of entry, travel, parking, etc. If you don't like it, don't go, there will probably be other shows nearer you that are easier to get to and cheaper.

Yes, I should have included exhibitors and demonstrators as they are a key part of the show. Apologies for my omission.  I must also mention the member's wives and girlfriends (not both at the same time though) who give up their weekend to do all sorts of jobs that usually don't directly involve playing with trains.

This is just giving out information that some of our fellow model railway enthusiasts might find helpful. Many will not realise how close Hall 5 is to Birmingham International or that there is free parking at some reasonably local stations. Most people will expect any large venue to not be the cheapest place for food and drink. I always tell people about the alternatives available when visiting the NEC so they know there are options but I usually use the NEC car park when I go to concerts or exhibitions there because it is convenient.

• RMweb Gold

hmmm, i really want to make it to warley this year but will have to earn a few brownie points the next few days, my wife is going out on saturday night so i need to be home by 18:00 and ive got to take the youngest to a birthday party on the sunday so thats a no no

i finish work at midnight on friday night in crewe so i recon a good night sleep and an early train towards brum may allow me a few hours there on saturday, typically the lodge jobs i have next week involve staying in birmingham, just a few days too late to work it round warley!

Well 298, last year your gripe was lighting, this year its parking charges and food pricing. I wonder what you will find to be negative about next year?

Well remembered, although my "gripe" last year was posted after I had paid money to visit the show. I also contacted the NEC as promised and a few days after received a semi-automated reply stating the usual "We have no plans to change the lighting in the Hall" and "It's up to the stand owners to provide adequate lighting for their exhibits".

As Chris M mentioned in post #131, it's merely information that others might find useful. I personally think that paying a little over £35-40 for a good day out including lunch is a reasonable deal, but not when so little of that goes to the club and the enviroment it's in isn't up to scratch.

Next year my "gripe" will be that they haven't flown my favourite loco 6000 miles to be featured as the centrepiece, and there weren't enough layouts featuring the Narrow Gauge Electrified mining railroads of Patagonia.

• RMweb Premium

Well I got the £69 train fare down to £32 using

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/split-cheap-train-tickets/

:)

Saved on the car park too ;)

Not bad. I saved only a few pounds only - London Midland wants 20£ from me - I purchased the tickets for 18 at the trainline.com. And for the parking I make my usual trick - instead of Milton Keynes I use Bletchley - costs half of the MK parking fee...

Well remembered, although my "gripe" last year was posted after I had paid money to visit the show. I also contacted the NEC as promised and a few days after received a semi-automated reply stating the usual "We have no plans to change the lighting in the Hall" and "It's up to the stand owners to provide adequate lighting for their exhibits".

As Chris M mentioned in post #131, it's merely information that others might find useful. I personally think that paying a little over £35-40 for a good day out including lunch is a reasonable deal, but not when so little of that goes to the club and the enviroment it's in isn't up to scratch.

Next year my "gripe" will be that they haven't flown my favourite loco 6000 miles to be featured as the centrepiece, and there weren't enough layouts featuring the Narrow Gauge Electrified mining railroads of Patagonia.

Oh. forgot , the previous year (2014) you also moaned about the lighting and if my memory serves me well you didn't actually attend that year.  How about we all give credit to a Model Railway Club that took a very brave decision to push the boundaries of exhibitions and if we think things can be improved, not write to the NEC but, talk to the club itself.

• RMweb Premium

I really am sick of your whinging.

Get a life

Just tried the link and it upped my return fare from £33.50 (at Southern Failway's ticket office) to £75.70! (Outward journey unchanged!)

I've also double checked that site against the tickets I have purchased. The result was no difference (same price) but they wanted to charge an admin fee that I didn't get charged for when using the cheap ticket function on the National Rail website that finds you a good deal and then connects you to the TOC offering it to complete the purchase.

G

I personally think that paying a little over £35-40 for a good day out including lunch is a reasonable deal, but not when so little of that goes to the club and the enviroment it's in isn't up to scratch.

You're right - the environment isn't up to scratch. The lighting us dreadful and the food expensive. But we all know that from the experience of previous visits or reading this thread. However I tend to go for the model railways rather than the hall experience.

And it's quite possible to mitigate the worst. Take your own pre-paid cheaper food and trust that the layouts have their own decent built in lighting - which is a usual 'must' for most exhibitable layouts. But I guess that is something the club can do better - select and book exhibits that have integral lighting. There are often some without a sniff of it and just look gloomy - I tend to ignore those.

G

• RMweb Gold

Blimey we like to be down on things don't we ;)

Ok ok it's not going to always reduce a price but it may help a few save. It's just an option and if you use National Rail Enquires, TOC sites and this split ticket site then you should compare the deals and get options!

It only searches split options and it's not necessarily going to find a cheaper price if there isn't one ;)

Ticket office clerks don't follow set searches so can suggest alternate routes etc for cheaper options. In some cases it will save you large amounts like it did for me and you don't have to book through the site as you can note the details and book on the individual TOC sites instead. They do say though that trainline sponsors the facility so booking through them helps to pay for it. When it's saved a significant amount a £1.25 booking fee is worth it to support it but if it only saves you a few quid then note the times and book on the TOC site.

You have to be prepared to do a bit of work to find the cheapest and with all the moaning about prices I posted it as an option not the Holy Grail ;)

You're right - the environment isn't up to scratch. The lighting us dreadful and the food expensive. But we all know that from the experience of previous visits or reading this thread. However I tend to go for the model railways rather than the hall experience.

The lighting is fine for its intended purpose. Which is not to illuminate the exhibits. The NEC is a professional exhibition and conference centre, and expects its clients to provide the necessary individual lighting. For an exhibition-style event, such as Warley, the NEC expects each stand to have its own lighting. Which, for every other event that takes place at the NEC, is what it will have.

If there is a criticism here, it's that Warley's organisers don't do enough to make it clear to all layout operators invited to attend that they need to bring their own lighting, even if they don't normally have it as part of the setup. Most exhibition layouts do have lighting as part of the construction, and those will have no problems at the NEC. But there are a few which don't, and they need to be reminded to bring a few spotlights with them for an event at the NEC.

The lighting is fine for its intended purpose. Which is not to illuminate the exhibits. The NEC is a professional exhibition and conference centre, and expects its clients to provide the necessary individual lighting. For an exhibition-style event, such as Warley, the NEC expects each stand to have its own lighting. Which, for every other event that takes place at the NEC, is what it will have.

If there is a criticism here, it's that Warley's organisers don't do enough to make it clear to all layout operators invited to attend that they need to bring their own lighting, even if they don't normally have it as part of the setup. Most exhibition layouts do have lighting as part of the construction, and those will have no problems at the NEC. But there are a few which don't, and they need to be reminded to bring a few spotlights with them for an event at the NEC.

IMHO, all layouts should have their own lighting in any exhibition. I've never seen any venue that has enough light for proper presentation; the town hall used for RailWells is probably the best I've been to recently (skylights in some of the rooms) and even that is insufficient. In many shows, I see well-lit layouts next to unlit ones and the dark ones look really sad.

Archived