The Bridge at Remagen - N Gauge Rhine Crossing in 1944.

Al.

At 9 metres long Remagen is a big layout. And big layouts need big spaces to set them up and big vans to move them about, all of which equates to big operating costs. This will have impact on the number shows that the layout can be displayed at. With this thought in the back of my mind I've been slowly working on the design for a second smaller purpose built exhibition layout - as Remagen is more a portable permanent layout then a full blow exhibition one. As well as the planning, I've also started picking up a few scenic items that might give you a clue to the theme. They'll be a separate thread sometime in the new year for this one.

post-23643-0-77357700-1474049130_thumb.jpeg

Don't worry. Work hasn't slackened on Remagen. The scenery is progressing at the usual snails pace and I'm looking to start full time on the electrics this weekend.

post-23643-0-72794900-1474049141_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-69992200-1474049151_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Al.
  • Like 3

I did plan to crack on with the wiring today, but due to a schoolboy error in buying a couple wrong connectors, that's all gone on hold.

But not wanting to waste the day, I finally turned my hand to the river. I've been putting this off for a long time because it's a major feature of the layout, and it I get it wrong, it'll show.

After a long and I depth review of all the various methods and products available, I've opted for the cheapest, but not necessarily the easiest - the toilet paper method.

post-23643-0-40153800-1474219697_thumb.jpeg

I had the idea of marking out the boat positions on the board before I started in thick black marker, thinking it would show though the toilet paper. But this was a waste of time as by the time the second layer went on it was Nearly visible. And after the third layer, invisible.

I used the same process as the YouTube video (can't find the link right now). I've a couple of additional tips. 1, on the top layer of paper, tear the edges of the sheets before laying them as this helps hide the edges. 2, keep all the top layer brush strokes in the same direction to give a consistent wave effect.

post-23643-0-33357500-1474219719_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-75768800-1474219734_thumb.jpeg

It's all done now and slowly drying. Painting is the next stage.

• Like 7

Back to the river - 48 hours later and it's still very wet and soft. I'm starting to get a little bit worried. However the shore line areas, where the toilet paper is only one layer thick, have gone off. So maybe it just needs more time.

Let's see what it looks like tomorrow.

post-23643-0-01654600-1474397001_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I over did the mix on my ballast once on a previous layout. I thought it would never dry but it did and even more surprisingly didn't cause any adverse effects. The fact it's tissue paper won't necessarily mean it will go off much quicker. The moisture is trapped right the way through. You could try a VERY VERY gentle heating ie central heating on for an hour etc to warm it through and take some moisture from the air. Whether you try that or not, personally I think you'll be ok.

John

Cheers John. Hoping it's just a matter of time. The river is several layers thick and each was well saturated.

I'm very pleased with the results so far. The wave texture looks pretty good (for a windy day) and getting the boat wakes were very easy to do. Of course the next bit is to get the river colour right.

• Like 1

72 hours and it's starting cure over the whole area. Some of the wave tops feel a bit fragile and hollow. But there's still three or four layers of paint and varnish to add, so I'm not too worried at this stage.

I'm going to leave it until Sunday before applying the paint to let it thoroughly dry out, then a couple days for the paint to dry before varnishing - which I estimate will that a week. And unless I can talk the wife into letting move the river board into the dinning room, all other work will have to stop in the workshop so the wet varnish doesn't get contaminated with dust....

• Like 1

Thanks Grahame. Nice to know it's appreciated.

Back to the anti-aircraft battery. They go right up there on top of the Erpeler Ley.

post-23643-0-71505600-1474485994_thumb.jpeg

And this is what's up there.

post-23643-0-95873200-1474486031_thumb.jpeg

The Ley is what remains of an extinct volcano that towers over the Rhine. On the model I've have shorten it slightly as a true scale model would be around 7 foot height. As it is, the top of the Ley on the layout is just I've 5 foot.

post-23643-0-96191900-1474486014_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-84047300-1474486043_thumb.jpeg

For those who remember the film, these are the guns that Robert Vaughn is seen inspecting. The model has the basic details done. The battery still needs finishing. Tents, workshop, mess tent,plus a fair bit more still need adding. But that's all going to have to wait until after Warley.

• Like 8

96 hours later and I think we've a winner. All the glue has gone off and the surface is quite firm. I'm still going to give it another couple of days before painting, mainly so I area of plaster bandage done on one of the other boards before the dust embargo starts.

I'll post up more pics tomorrow night.

Al.

• Like 2

Getting back to the river, it got its first coat of paint this morning. I'm now waiting for this to dry before touching up all the little spots I missed.

Another tip here. The paint dampens the paper and makes it soft again - probably because my pva/water mix was too much on the eatery side - and too vigorous brushing can impact the wave texture if your not careful.

Next step is to tone the green down a little and darken it off towards the banks.

post-23643-0-75695800-1474810624_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-53277700-1474810779_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

Update on progress with the river.

Over the weekend it got a cost of green paint, and the past two evenings I've been adding a second coat green/brown to give it more a mucky river look. It still looks too green to my eye and I'll be giving it another all over brown coat tomorrow to effort to one the green in a bit more.

At this rate, I won't be varnishing until the weekend.

post-23643-0-44574700-1475000952_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks, but I think I'm a little too far along to jump ship now.

• 2 weeks later...

A long overdue river update.

After much tinkering about I've finally got the river to a colour I like. With that sorted, I've added the boat wakes. I'm giving it 48 hours to completely dry, then it'll be time to add half a dozen coats of varnish.

post-23643-0-00319000-1476130420_thumb.jpeg

Al.

• Like 9