Dapol coach kits.

I wondered if anyone had tried building the Dapol kit non corridor 57ft Stanier carmine coaches as they were the type that the 2Ps pulled, brake and composite, on the Darvel branch which ran by Hurlford shed in Ayrshire in the fifties - all I've got to hope for then is to find a cheap one on eBay to make my day complete then! Were there any special problems to look out for? Any suggestions would be most useful and so I thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B

I believe there is a problem with the chassis detail with one of the non-corridor kits, and I think I remember reading that the brake kit comes with the roof for the composite, perhaps because the mould for the brake's roof is u/s.

Fairly certain I read ask this on here, so worth having a search for it.

I ended up buying a pair of the original Airfix/GMR ones on eBay. They seem to be fairly readily available; Rails were selling off quite a few when I was looking a couple of months back.

Edit: this is the earlier thread I remembered on RMweb on this topic: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64375-Dapol-ex-lms-non-corridor-lavatory-coaches-a-review-of-sorts/

Edited by ejstubbs

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jock, the problem with the chassis is that the back of the battery box is on the back of the regulator, see my coach thread below.

If you make a mess I have loads of bits from Dapol LMS coaches, corridor and non-corridor, sides, roofs, glazing etc. so just PM me if you need spares of anything, though I might have binned the bogies (I use Bachmann ones). Also if anybody else needs spares just let me know and I'll see what I have got.

I've just been reminded by John Flann of Hornby's wonderful LSWR Drummond 700, its perfect for Pen.

I think I'm going to give the 02 and Well Tank a miss in light of information gleaned.

And yes mate Well and truly Glued to the Spot for life. the little ankle biters will never grow up, and Grown Up's will never move again.

Hi Jonathan,Thanks for the help folks, can anyone help with the diameter, make etc of wheels as I do prefer metal ones on my coaches? Do the Bachmann bogies you refer to have metal wheels and do they run better?

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Edited by Jock67B

I have built a few, but the contents of the packets are a bit hit and miss.

Not only are the roofs sometimes different, but I had a brake second kit with one set of windows for a composite. It is not too difficult to chop them around a bit in order to find the right glazing for the brake windows.

I'm sure that I used Gibson 14mm wheels.

Hattons are selling the kits for less than they go for on e-bay. I bought 16 over a year ago as last winters project to build up as two sets of 8. Built with SEF flushglaze, Hornby metal wheels, newer style couplings (nem ?)

This pic shows 6 of the Dapol kit built coaches (plus a Palethorpes van) on my layout.

post-7336-0-57643200-1458599126.jpg

• Like 6

Afternoon Jonathan,

I notice from the particular era I am considering modelling, that the different types and even liveries are sometimes mixed up, which gives further interest. Evidence for this is to be found in many of Derek Cross's excellent carriage photos, especially where mixed rakes are seen being returned empty, and some even have LNER stock that got abandoned from a cross country working! Plenty of room for fun there then, and at the end of the day, I can play to the extent which takes my fancy - Rule1? I'm beginning to enjoy this now. I have a pack of axles with Hornby metal 14.1mm Dia. wheels - what made you choose the complete bogies at roughly £6.56 in preference? And did you note that I might have to cut a little rebate to accommodate the diameter?

Thank you so much for all your assistance to date, I have found following the old thread back through completely fascinating!

Kind regards,

Jock.   

My efforts with a Dapol ex LMS non-corridor brake third are recorded in my blog

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/296/entry-11495-set-3-grouping-non-gangwayed/

Be aware that the coaches Dapol offer are Period II lavatory non-gangway stock, for "Inter-District" sets - ie middle-distance work. Of which just 50 coaches of each type were built. The Period I version was fully panelled

Thereafter the LMS built only corridor stock for mainline duties and non-corridor non-lavatory stock for local services

I'm guessing that the flood of Stanier corridor stock after 1933 meant that elderly LNWR and MR corridor coaches became available for cascade to the cross-country workings, and there was no need to build new longer distance non-corridor coaches

Hornby offer the much more common non-corridor non-lavatory suburban coaches in a Period III (ie Stanier) version

• RMweb Gold

If you want to 'go to town' on these, start with the missing underframe cross-trusses available in etched brass from 51L models (ex-Comet), along with castings for dynamo, voltage regulator box and vacuum cylinders. All of these are missing from, or only vaguely represented on the basic mouldings.

I've done a set of three (also fitting close-coupling units so the buffers touch on straight rack) and, though they are useable, I have yet to tackle the glazing and will probably fit new Bachmann bogies in place of the rather skinny-looking Airfix ones. 

John

PS. I have just added up what I spent on this project and the total outlay comes to not-many-pounds less than buying new Hornby coaches!

Very enjoyable though, and I have a set of coaches with that little bit of "I did that" magic about them.

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

It's a huge range when you consider there are only 4 different coaches, 2 non-corridor and 2 corridor.

I've assembled kit versions of the non-corridor coaches, and I was pretty happy with the glazing, which is reasonably flush. The corridor coach glazing seems to be less good from the Hatttons pic, but the OP was asking about the non-corridor coaches.

With a few minor tweaks I'm rather pleased with my carmine non-corridors, especially at £8.50 each.

• 1 year later...

I have just acquired some of the non-corridor versions. The roof problem appears to have been sorted out as the moulding for the brake differ from that for the composite and appear to be correct. The underframes have also been corrected, although if you are buying, have a good look - two of mine are correct, one incorrect.

And many thanks for the helpful advice above.