Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Now for a real stranger on the WB, from the strange lands of the east, an LNER B1. This is a Meteor kit. So foar it's going quite well. Geoff supplied replacement slide bar/piston rod assembly from one of his LNER kits.

The tender had no problems at all. Just a little cutting and filing to get the tool tunnel to fit nice. I moved the side frames out 1mm to allow the sprung buffers to operate. This is not all noticeable. I also had to fill & redrill the lifting holes as the tool box covered the etched hol on the right side.

The loco footplate has fold down valences. This made the job of folding and bending of the footplate and its overlays quite easy. I had to shim the backs of the cylinders with 15 thou plastcard to give sufficient clearance for the conecting rods. Again not noticeable. The only dissapointment was the coupling rods are etched solid. It will not be a problem as I am fitting 10 wheel pickups, so there will not be any stalling at crawl speeds. Again, this loco is to have the Ron Chaplin power plant.

Now looking forward to the rest of the build.

post-150-127697690071.jpg

post-150-127697690913.jpg

On with the B1. I now have the chassis completed as far as I ca until it's painted. Tomorrow is onwards with the body. All went rather well, just a couple of minor things to adjust to get it running smooth. Clearances for the valve gear were not a problem as in some kits.

Here she after todays build.

post-150-127713993143.jpg

Hi Ken, Do you replace the Slaters crank pin screw? - I have read several accounts of people tapping the wheel 10ba and using a 10 BA countersunk screw and tapping the brass crankpin bush 10ba to use as a nut and bush combined.

I had a quick look on the Meteor site and the B1 isn't currently listed (or it's well hiddenblink.gif).

I did notice that they do a WD 2-8-0 as do Roxey Mouldings - have you ever built either? if so what do you think? The reason I ask is that it is on the list of loco's that I quite fancy for myself (a lot ran around Wakefield post war).

HI Rob I don not, as a rule, replace the Slater's crank bushes. The exception is the centre axle where a return crank is used. I then use Gladiator threaded bushes on brass 10BA bolts. The reason for brass is to allow the return crank to not only be soldered to the bush but also the bolt. The threaded bushes also make for a very solid fixing for the return crank.

I'm not surprised you will not find the B1 on the Meteor site as I'm pretty sure Geoff mentioned it's now part of his range of kits. (His website has crashed an is currently being rebuilt)

I have not built either the Roxey or Meteor WD 2-8-0 but have built models from both camps. Reading the specs on the respective sites, if you are prepared to spend a bit of time & effort with the Meteor, it should made a nice model. If you are prepared to pay more for the Roxey, it will probably be an easier build. (At the other Roxey kits I have built have been no problem.)

I have built Geoffs ROD 2-8-0's, they are very nice to build.

Thanks Ken, The Roxey one sounds pretty good - it lists all lost wax castings as opposed to the Meteor whitemetal ones (they also list a 2-10-0 as well as the 2-8-0) While searching I also came across one that Just Like the Real thing list, that looks again to have all lost wax castings. Thanks for the description of the return crank.

Thanks Ken, The Roxey one sounds pretty good - it lists all lost wax castings as opposed to the Meteor whitemetal ones (they also list a 2-10-0 as well as the 2-8-0) While searching I also came across one that Just Like the Real thing list, that looks again to have all lost wax castings. Thanks for the description of the return crank.

Yes, the JLTRT will be a real nice kit, I have some of those kits on my layout.

Hi Rob,

Just a word of warning, the Meteor WD drove me nuts !!! I mean who does white metal slide bars ( they do !!), the kit is like reading the novel war & peace steer well clear. I have not had dealings with the Roxey kit although I have built a few jltrt and they do go together well and the castings are 1st class.

ATB, Martyn.

Hi Rob,

Just a word of warning, the Meteor WD drove me nuts !!! I mean who does white metal slide bars ( they do !!), the kit is like reading the novel war & peace steer well clear. I have not had dealings with the Roxey kit although I have built a few jltrt and they do go together well and the castings are 1st class.

ATB, Martyn.

I'll second that. We did replace the slidebars on the B1. They were lost wax castings but too bad to use.

This is a test to see if I have done it right.

I spent yesterday afternoon at my friends loft layout filming ant photographing some of the 40 + locos i have built for him over the past 25 years.

This loco is about 15 years old now and performing beautifully.

PS Thanks to Brian for explaing how to upload these from Youtube. The only thing now, is how do I just upload my own videos and not a list of other peoples when you open the links below?

• Like 3

This is a test to see if I have done it right.

I spent yesterday afternoon at my friends loft layout filming ant photographing some of the 40 + locos i have built for him over the past 25 years.

This loco is about 15 years old now and performing beautifully.

PS Thanks to Brian for explaing how to upload these from Youtube. The only thing now, is how do I just upload my own videos and not a list of other peoples when you open the links below?

Hi Ken,

The wonders of modern technology, and best of all you either took the film on a tripod or you have a very firm grip, shakey pics are one of my pet hates. Look forward to seeing some more of your work in action.

Regards, Martyn.

Hi Ken,

The wonders of modern technology, and best of all you either took the film on a tripod or you have a very firm grip, shakey pics are one of my pet hates. Look forward to seeing some more of your work in action.

Regards, Martyn.

No tripod Martyn. I have just purchased the Panasonic SDR550. It has advanced O.I.S. which helps a lot. Also I use the two handed method of filming, like using the hand gun two handed, reduces the shake considerably. (I see so many folks using one hand and you can see the camera shaking)

Hold the camera as normal in the right hand. With the left, firmly grip the pop out screen. Lock the right elbow into the side of your body, that will then give the most stability. This camera has 78x zoom, when using zoom, like using a high power telescope, a tripod is then a must.

Another film of Mondays visit to Johns loft layout. This time loco I built for him fours years ago. She is on an express none stop run.

Thanks to Brian, I have the upload correct this time.

Shame about the roof supports, but as John said, it would have entailed a very costly rebuild of the roof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNbk8uvPTcQ

• Like 1

Well, after playing around with films & youtube, it's back to the B1. The body is going well. It's great when parts fit as they should. I have filled the boiler and the firebox with lead, leaving just enough room for the motor to sit vertically in the firebox.

This model is HEAVY.

post-150-127732305074.jpg

post-150-127732306227.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. Just had a fabulous week on the south coast, riding the Bluebell line amongst other things.

Just spent today doing a bit more painting on the Adans Radial. Not a lot left to do on her now. Here she is before weathering down to working condition.

post-150-127836297495.jpg

post-150-127836298694.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good Ken, I reckon it'll look mega with a little weathering to tone down the white lining just a smidge !

How's the B1 coming along ? Is it showing itself to be an accurate kit in terms of look and dimensions ? The B1 is on my list for the future.. after the L1.

JB.

Looking good Ken, I reckon it'll look mega with a little weathering to tone down the white lining just a smidge !

How's the B1 coming along ? Is it showing itself to be an accurate kit in terms of look and dimensions ? The B1 is on my list for the future.. after the L1.

JB.

Hi Jonathan. The B1 appears to catch the atmospher of the prototype. I have not been pedantic enough to check all the diamentions but the main areas seem OK.

I have just primed her today, final assembly tomorrow, then I'll post pics. Regards ken.

Hi all. The B1 is finished, at last. Many interuptions on this one making it a bit of a drawn out build. Not a bad kit to assemble. Just a few minor irritations not difficult to overcome.

For me, the valve gear is the most important aspect of a build, Thankfully there were no issues on this one. Have to say though, Geoff did send me slidebar assembly from one of hios own kits. Much better than the one offered in the kit.

Here she is ready for delivery to Geoff and his painter.

post-150-127851683299.jpg

post-150-127851686324.jpg

post-150-127851687372.jpg

• Like 2

That is a nice looking locomotive, wish that I could achieve this quality. Hopefully you will post pictures after it has been painted please.

Thanks Dave. Appreciate your comment. Sadly, I doubt I will see the loco again once Geoff collects it as it is for one of his customers I believe.

Out of interest is this kit (B1) still available?

This is a Meteor Kit which is not in their current range. I may be wrong but I think Gladiator have bought it to add to his range. I will ask him when he collects the model later this month.