Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

:D All finished at last. I'm quietly chuffed how she has turned out. Here she is on her first duties.

post-150-081987100 1285790221_thumb.jpg

Just making her first appearance at Pen y Cwm.

post-150-048911600 1285790283_thumb.jpg

Discussing the shunt moves with Glyn the signalman.

post-150-069267200 1285790410_thumb.jpg

Looking down on her from the overbridge.

post-150-016649500 1285790484_thumb.jpg

Setting back to clear the turnout.

Thanks Guys. Pete, the spanner is not chrome plated, I assumed they were bright metal when new, (the light shows it brighter than it really is). Anyway it will be 'rusted' next time the paints are on the go.

• 2 weeks later...

Back again with another one for my own layout. Quite how one of these SWB vans, all based in Acton, is seen running on the S & M L R I have yet to work out. But I just loved it when I saw the kit on Big Jims (Connoisseur) stand at Telford.

As with all Jim's kits I have had the pleasure of building, this went together beautifully. I am delighted with the result. The thing I liked so much about the design of the kit is the fact that almost all the soldering is hidden.

A few pics of the start of the build and finished model.

post-150-096914800 1287002349_thumb.jpg

post-150-033469400 1287002406_thumb.jpg

post-150-005567700 1287002414_thumb.jpg

post-150-009474200 1287002423_thumb.jpg

post-150-059991500 1287002431_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Rob, you will NOT be dissapointed with Jims kits. I think they are lovely kits to build and look very nice on the layout.

On with the next build now. Another one for Geoff, his King Arthur Class. Ex North Star design. Made a start on the tender, so far so good. Will post pics on the next update.

Hi Ken, I take it you missed out the word "not" when you replied?rolleyes.gif I look forward to seeing the King Arthur.

:O OOOPS - hands not keeping up with the brain. (Appologies to Jim, if he saw the post.)

Finally got stuck into the Urie tender for the King Arthur class. This kit is of North Star origin, now slold by Gladiator. The tender has assembled with now issues and was quite stright forward. The exception was the tender top flare and getting the bend at the front correct. This took a little while with round nose pliers and much trial and error. the came the 60 thou brass wire I used the form the beading, again it was the front bend that caused a fare bit of trial and error.

The bogies are of very simple design and very effective when assembled

Here are some images of the build.

post-150-020497500 1287325673_thumb.jpg

post-150-055098600 1287325680_thumb.jpg

post-150-006817800 1287325691_thumb.jpg

post-150-048537900 1287325701_thumb.jpg

post-150-089988900 1287325710_thumb.jpg

post-150-086091200 1287325719_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Got a bit more time in on the N15 chassis. This is going together as nicely as the tender did, so far! The photos do not pick this up but it's actually nickle silver.

I have used the provided etched hornblocks instead of my usual method of elongating the axle holes allowing the bushes to float. The kit suggests using a compensation beam, (not supplied).

I am not a fan of those so I limited the front hornblock to make the leading axle bush level with the fixed rear one allowing downward movement only. Leaving the centre axle free to float fully up & down. I then soldered piano wire across these bushes to press the axles down onto the track in my usual manner.

This it it so far.

post-150-008433900 1287431596_thumb.jpg

post-150-019007100 1287431601_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Been away from the WB for a couple of days, now onwards with the build.

The chassis is now making some progress. Quite amazed that the chassis ran perfect first time, most times you have to tweak the bush holes etc to ease tight spots, this being more so due to using the etched hornblocks.

Time to start the valve gear. This is the tricky part of the chassis build. Time needed to assemble and produce a free running set up.

Here she is so far.

post-150-041518000 1287735253_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Now done as much as can with the motion prior to painting. Had no real problems with it, just used the photos of the construction on the supplied CD which was very helpful.

I did note that the instructions mentioned the castings are predrilled. Maybe Geoff didn't bother with this kit knowing I could manage.

The bogie is a simple straight forward affair and like the tender bogies look good when made up. Just the detailing to do on it. It also has sprung side control.

First image is drilling out the castings.

post-150-043063100 1287777603_thumb.jpg

post-150-040374300 1287777641_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Moving forward with the body now. Good progress has been made today. I am very pleased with the kit, I have had to make NO adjustments to the body etches, all has fitted perfectly. Of course, great care is needed with the various folds to achieve this, but still remarkable.

The boiler is in three sections, all bolted together and the whole unit bolted to the cab front. It is easily possible to bolt it to the footplate at the s/box end too.

Here she is well under way.

post-150-060872000 1287942116_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I am very pleased with the kit, I have had to make NO adjustments to the body etches, all has fitted perfectly. Of course, great care is needed with the various folds to achieve this, but still remarkable.

Lets hope other kit manufacturers take heed of your remarks :rolleyes:. Coming along nicely by the way Ken B).

ATB, Martyn.

SLACKING? Well, just been too busy doing other things that has kept me away from the bench. What with selling & buying on ebay, family wedding anniversaries, visitors, trips to the painter, autumn gardening excercises etc etc etc.

I hope things can settle down a bit now.

Realised that Jonathan, I get grumpy when pulled from the WB, sad isn't it.

Funny you should say that Ken, I was speaking to Geoff at York on Saturday and he was saying that you live to build kits (or words to that effectbiggrin.gif)

I was looking at some of your WB featured locos in the flesh on his stand and they look even better than the photos.

Hi Rob. I'm sure Geoff believes that, considering the number of locos I knock out for him.

Thanks for the compliments upon seeing the models 'live'.

I do have other interests though. Photography, playing keyboards and lots of foreign travel. (Recently back from the best one this year, the Italian Dolomites & Venice) Anyway, off to the bench now.

:D Well, I'm almost there. Dosn't look like a lot of progress but it's been time consuming researching photos etc. Geoff has mailed me photos of the prototype he requires for the final bit and bobs to add. Mostly the visible pipework under the footplate. (the photos I had in the kit did not show this.) The deflectors and the cab interior detailing being the biggest jobs to do. The deflectors will be made removable usinh locating pins to ease the job of the painter.

All has gone quite well on this build, the main problem has been sorting out the many variations relating to class. Not helped as SR is very alien to me. (Having said that i have just purchased myself two SR kits in a moment of recklessness. The D16 I will most likely sell on when I have built it though. The J11 looks qiute nice and will probably end up on Pen y Cwm as a visiting loco.

Here she ready for the final phase.

post-150-056286000 1288114895_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

(Recently back from the best one this year, the Italian Dolomites & Venice) Anyway, off to the bench now.

Hi Ken, I went to Venice myself in September and I must say I was quite enchanted by the place - up to going I hadn't realised it was a group of islands. I look forward to the next instalments on the WB.