Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Ken

Did you leave the water tank removable so that you could paint it green and the smoke box black or is the water tank fixed to the rest?

Pete

I built it fixed. Makes painting more tricky, true. But makes the build easier and quicker.

The top hat on the dome always gets to me, the G.W.R. had to have its bit of brass. Nice job Jazz.

OzzyO.

Thanks OzzyO. I think the brass 'top hat' stuck on top of a dome looks rather silly. I had toyed with building her as oringinal ie with pop valves only but would have been wrong for my 1930's layout.

Here she is on her first roster.

post-150-128212570559.jpg

post-150-128212572365.jpg

• Like 3

Oh.. and I took your advice and sussed the firebox, but I didn't use solder for the front I used a block of brass. This is currently blue tacked in place until I find a way of attaching it. Thank you. Apologies for the poor quality picture.

Oh.. and I took your advice and sussed the firebox, but I didn't use solder for the front I used a block of brass. This is currently blue tacked in place until I find a way of attaching it. Thank you. Apologies for the poor quality picture.post-376-128224458087_thumb.jpg

post-376-128224546421_thumb.jpg

Now here is an interesting model I have been working since Wednesday. The Gladiator (Ex FourTrack) LNER G6.

Whilst this kit is not cosidered a 'starter' kit, any experienced builder will find little difficulty in the build.

The main point to watch for is getting the bends absolutely spot on for the all in one cab sides/bunker to fit in the etched grooves. This is the datum for the whole body.

What i do like the is answer to the 0-4-4 balance problem.

The drivers are compensated with milled axle bushes sliding in flod up guides. The bogie is also compensated with floating side frames on the spacer. This in turn is attached to the main frames on a fixed height. Elimiates the rear end 'dive' caused by the sprung bogie variety. Thest on the layout made for very soomth running through the crossovers with all wheels firmly on the rails.

I used a length of piano wire attached to the main frame spacer and fitting to a small bracket I made for the bogie frame with passes though a small hole. This allows the bogie to be removed and gives good side springing to keep the boies central.

There are things like the beading, for instance that you have to fabrcate yourself. (I used 20 thou wire)

I also inset the cab floor support as per photos. (The etch is just a fold down job and di not look right)

The boiler has been filled with lead. This means she is very heavy and perfectly balanced under the dome. Just where it shoud be.

Here is the build in photos so far.

post-150-128237377003.jpg

post-150-128237378033.jpg

post-150-128237381603.jpg

post-150-12823738311.jpg

post-150-128237383894.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Pete. I guess after scratch & kit building over well 400 locos over that 30 years I have the knack of rapid building and problem solving.

It have no idea what the gearbox is. I know Geoff has had in his w/shop for a long time. It's a very heavy duty single stage brass gearbox.

The motor is Buhler.

Todays work still sees a lot of detailing left to do.

post-150-128241318358.jpg

Thanks guys.. Yes, the castings are predominately brass. The dome does a have a rather deep moulding joint on one side. Easily filled though and thankfully not neeing to be a polished dome.

:D Here she is ready for delivery. Now for something completely different, an LNWR 30' 6 wheel centre brake coach for my layout.

This being built from the Gladiator range and is the ex North Star Design.

The Loco in its glory.

post-150-128258411306.jpg

post-150-128258413826.jpg

post-150-128258417661.jpg

And here is the start on the LNWR 6 wheel coach. The etches are very nice and an exact fit. I started by adding all the detail to the sides & ends after forming the tumblehome. with the exception of the axle guards all the fittings are brass castings, which is nice.

The floor ends are folded up and the ends body ends solder on. The sides are the soldered in place and were a perfect fit.

Laminate the soleplates/springs/axleguards etch and solder into the groove under the floor. Again the lenght was perfect. The buffer beams are then soldered across the ends.

You get one etched partion you use as a template to make the other two that are needed. (I chose to make these of plasticard. (I also purchased moulded wood seating lenghts to complete the inside)

That is as far as I have got today.

This build will continue on Thursday.

post-150-128268090207_thumb.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Pressed on with the coach build. Partitions fabricated and fitted. Also I added extra bracings across the body at roof level.

I then got carried away and continued the build forgetting to photgraph each stage. What I did do is add gas tanks under the floor and add seat moudlings.

Also added kick boards to the lower foot boards and rain strips to the roof.

She was then ready for painting. Here she is all finished except for lettering which I will purchase at Telford next month.

The last image is this evening at work on the layout.

post-150-128294268228.jpg

post-150-128294270428.jpg

post-150-128294274539.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Ken,

That last photo really looks the business ;).

ATB, Martyn.

Thanks Martyn. I have the sound, I wish we could also have the smoke/steam & smells. Then that would really be the business, don't you think?

Thanks Martyn. I have the sound, I wish we could also have the smoke/steam & smells. Then that would really be the business, don't you think?

If only they could bottle it I would be first in the queue although I do not think SWMBO would be overly impressed, it must be a man thing or are we all just sentimentalists :unsure:.

Martyn.

If only they could bottle it I would be first in the queue although I do not think SWMBO would be overly impressed, it must be a man thing or are we all just sentimentalists :unsure:.

Martyn.

Quite probably Martyn.

Ken,

You are right, that does sound marvellous.

I've never heard of Oliviers. Where are they based? Do they have a website? I tried to Google them but only found others mentioning them not a website.

Great work as always.

Pete

Ken,

You are right, that does sound marvellous.

I've never heard of Oliviers. Where are they based? Do they have a website? I tried to Google them but only found others mentioning them not a website.

Great work as always.

Pete

Hi Pete. Apologies for the delay, been away again.

This is their website. (They welcome visitors the the shop for demos and offer a great service being able to customize the sound to suit you. i.e you could have a GWR 2 clyinder loco with an LMS whistle if you so desired.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?showtopic=1094&view=getnewpost

Regards Ken

Spent yesterday playing trains after installing yet another sound chip. This one is IMHO brilliant. The PC does not do it justice even with the speaker system I have on the PC. The chip is from Oliviers. Their range is superb.

I think your building really is something to aspire to Jazz - Anyway - just a thought looking at the videos. Has anyone ever tried to mount a camera on a wagon to get some moving shots - that would be good!

Hi A_S. Thanks for the compliment, appreciated. Regarding the camera mounted on a wagon, I have done that many times but with my old video camera which could be operated without the viewing screen in the open postion.

I have just discovered my current camera will operate with the screen almost closed so am tempted to see if I can do just that.

There are a number of garden layouts in LGB etc on youtube that are really something else with cameras mounted on the train. This being one of my favourites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMsJ_P6d-zg