And if anyone is wondering why there is no mention of George Pig - shortly after that last photo in post 401 he slipped on an oily footplate and fell down the gap between engine and tender (which would normally be occupied by a fall-plate.....).

Anyway, the outcome was terminal, and - after a suitable period of mourning / curing - the fireman, driver and signalman all enjoyed a delicious breakfast.

post-17823-0-17083300-1497007987_thumb.jpg

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 3

And if anyone is wondering why there is no mention of George Pig - shortly after that last photo in post 401 he slipped on an oily footplate and fell down the gap between engine and tender (which would normally be occupied by a fall-plate.....).

Anyway, the outcome was terminal, and - after a suitable period of mourning / curing - the fireman, driver and signalman all enjoyed a delicious breakfast.

attachicon.gifIMG_0071.JPG

'It's what he would have wanted'

I am installing a weighbridge and associated offices in the Tonfanau Camp goods yard. The prototype photograph that provided the inspiration shows the combined weighbridge and coal merchant's office that stood at Towyn (Tywyn), the next station up from the real Tonfanau station on the Cambrian Coast line. The office block is a simple build from plasticard and the weighbridge is a lovely nickelsilver etching manufactured by Smiths of a Pooley bridge . As is my style, this will be an utterly ordinary and understated installation.

Regards,

Chris

PS An extra strong weighbridge has been procured to accommodate Daddy Pig.

post-13142-0-40161600-1497249584_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-40280300-1497249604_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• 3 weeks later...

Lookng ahead to the autumn, I will start work on the War Department's estate at Tonfanau Camp. I am trying,so far without success, to find 7mm scale concrete security fence posts with the bent tops for barbed wire. Does anyone know of a suitable source? If not, then I will commission a laser-cutter to make some.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

Chris

I will have the same problem (but different design) for the concrete supports for the wooden platforms at Penmaenpool.  Now long gone but I do have photos.  I am not yet looking for a possible supplier but if I come across one I will let you know.

The owners of Porthmadog Models, who specialize in figures (military mostly), suggested that if I got one 3D printed then a custom run of white metal castings might be the way to go.  This would, unfortunately be more viable in the smaller scales, probably not for 7mm.  I suppose resin castings would be another option?

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Try Peter Clarke Models,

I used theirs for my sub station, the barbed wire is a bit coarse, I replaced it with some from the military modelling boys, which needs fixing one day!

post-18627-0-58559200-1498653094_thumb.png

post-18627-0-01946400-1498654900_thumb.jpg

Peter

Edited by peter220950
  • Like 7

Hi Chris,

Try Peter Clarke Models,

I used theirs for my sub station, the barbed wire is a bit coarse, I replaced it with some from the military modelling boys, which needs fixing one day!

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20170628-132835.png

attachicon.gif20170628_140008.jpg

Peter

Thanks Peter. I don't like the barbed wire and mesh and I have several feet to cover so I shall ask PC if he will supply the posts separately.

Regards,

Chris

Chris

It shouldn't be a problem for him to just supply the posts, as they are obviously a separate supplier to him than the etches, which i agree are not so good. The 1/35th scale boys barbed wire is much better, and the mesh isn't right.

I have just sourced some correct spaced fence wire from a man on China, who makes loads of different sized wire and mesh spacing combinations, but it's still not quite right as the weave isn't the same as on real chain link fencing, but I don't think there's any way around that.

post-18627-0-74021000-1498724840_thumb.jpg

There are also some good results using nylon fabric that might be worth a look.

Peter

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I am using some plastic mesh that I got from a garden supply centre, 6 gaps in 10 mm.

post-1130-0-46642200-1498726356_thumb.jpg

post-1130-0-82323900-1498726412_thumb.jpg

I think it will look okay with some brass tube posts.

Roger

• Like 4

Chris

It shouldn't be a problem for him to just supply the posts, as they are obviously a separate supplier to him than the etches, which i agree are not so good. The 1/35th scale boys barbed wire is much better, and the mesh isn't right.

I have just sourced some correct spaced fence wire from a man on China, who makes loads of different sized wire and mesh spacing combinations, but it's still not quite right as the weave isn't the same as on real chain link fencing, but I don't think there's any way around that.

attachicon.gif20170628_133530.jpg

There are also some good results using nylon fabric that might be worth a look.

https://youtu.be/0_guMOYoCpw

Peter

Pete Clark is quoting me for some posts.

Hi

I am using some plastic mesh that I got from a garden supply centre, 6 gaps in 10 mm......

I think it will look okay with some brass tube posts.

Roger

Hi 21C123,

I think that garden centre mesh looks great. Any idea what they call it? I presume it's for protecting freshly seeded ground from birds, or something similar?

I'm guessing it would also come in large-ish rolls - so would be good value for money?

Has anyone seen something similar here in the UK?

Thanks for sharing this tip 21C123  :)

Yes, it looks like the mosquito mesh used in Texas and elsewhere for screen doors, etc.  Rarely to be seen in the Third World where it really should be.  You may see it called "no see ums" in camping stores as well, though that would be finer and not of metal but nylon.

I also have a white mosquito net from my working days - again they would be available at the appropriate travel outlets.

I used 2.5mm square plastic for my concrete posts with the tops bent over by first softening gently by holding over a hot soldering iron and then quickly bending against a jig. I drilled the holes for the wires with the help of another jig and a quick spray of concrete coloured paint completed the job.

For the mesh I used 'tulle', available very cheaply from habadashery shops. All it needed was a quick spray with grey primer.

I didn't bother with attempting barbs on the barbed wire - I think it would be very hard to make anything which didn't look overscale.

One mistake I made was to use fine electrical wire which was difficult to keep tensioned and avoid kinks. I'm in the process of replacing it with 0.3mm nickel silver.

post-3184-0-45555500-1479326409_thumb.jpg

post-3184-0-36004600-1479326441_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I have just returned home from our main summer holiday on the Cote d'Azur hence the hiatus in posting. This year we drove home via Portofino and Aosta in Italy. On Sunday we stopped for lunch at the Italian town of Ivrea at the mouth of the Aosta Valley that leads up to the Monte Bianco Tunnel. As we walked by the railway station in Ivrea I spotted this old watercrane still in situ despite elctrification many years ago. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Tonfanau Camp, but I thought you might be interested.

As soon as I have reorganised and dealt with some Minerva and reinsurance business, I will post some photos of the progress with the weighbridge/coal merchant complex for Tonfanau Camp.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-86636500-1499805367_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I recently joined the Southampton MRS. It's the first time I have joined a club and they are a good crowd. Last night, I took my ex-Cambrian Railways 896 down to the Southampton MRS clubroom last night to give her a really good run on the large 0 gauge test track. It's the first really long run she has enjoyed and ran smoothly. It was interesting to see how many people thought at first glance that 896 was a GWR Dean Goods; hmmm.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-50546700-1499931826_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-60629500-1499932153_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Some progress on the weighbridge/coal merchant office block. The roof slates are made from a printed grid on 80gsm paper. I usually make door knobs from short 7mm scale loco handrail knobs filled with solder. Typically, I can't find them even though I have them. 

post-13142-0-87675700-1500049610_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

More progress in Tonfanau Camp goods yard. The office block is almost complete awaiting the installation of door knobs. I usually make them from 7mm scale short brass locomotive handrail knobs filled with solder and polished, but I can't remember where I have stored said items. A third search will commence shortly. I am also trying to make one of the blue "Approved COAL Merchant" signs to adorn the office on the left. The weighbridge platform is from Smiths and the guardrail is redundant bullhead rail.  As soon as I have fitted the handrail knobs I will bed in the offices and add some weed growth. 

Meanwhile, one of my oldest friends was visiting today and he saw Tonfanau Camp for the first time. He was curious about the name and asked what had inspired it. When I told him, he remembered why he had recognised the name Tonfanau. His father had been stationed at Tonfanau Camp during his National Service in the late 1940s when he was training as a Royal Artillery anti-aircraft gunner. My friend took some pictures to show his father and I am hoping he will recognise the model of the concrete Army waiting shelter in which he would definitely have, well,  waited. Gunner Lewis was also a very keen photographer and may have some unpublished and unseen photos of the camp and railway station; fingers crossed.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-41138100-1501693325_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

The resident army loco at Tonfanau Camp, WD Fowler 0-4-0DM "MONTY", propels an ex-GWR horsebox from the exchange siding into the army sidings.  Aboard the horsebox is "Nimrod", the personal mount of Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Rupert Courtney-Bigunslatelee MC Bt of the Royal Horse Guards. He is the newly posted commanding officer of Tonfanau Camp and being a donkey-walloper wants his nag with him to provide consolation as he compares the social delights of nearby Towyn with his previous posting to Hyde Park Barracks, Knightsbridge, SW7. The Regimental Corporal Major carefully supervised the dispatch of Nimrod from Paddington Station and Corporal of Horse Hobbs MM accompanied the horse on the long journey. 

The model is built from the Parkside kit. It is a lovely model and my only criticism is that the small steps at each end of the solebars are very fragile. Two came off immediately and are listed as missing-in-action. Intelligence sources report that the Carpet Monster is the most likely culprit. When I have the time, and the inclination, I will make some replacements from metal.

post-13142-0-64813800-1502136124_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

The resident army loco at Tonfanau Camp, WD Fowler 0-4-0DM "MONTY", propels an ex-GWR horsebox from the exchange siding into the army sidings.  Aboard the horsebox is "Nimrod", the personal mount of Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Rupert Courtney-Bigunslatelee MC Bt of the Royal Horse Guards. He is the newly posted commanding officer of Tonfanau Camp and being a donkey-walloper wants his nag with him to provide consolation as he compares the social delights of nearby Towyn with his previous posting to Hyde Park Barracks, Knightsbridge, SW7. The Regimental Corporal Major carefully supervised the dispatch of Nimrod from Paddington Station and Corporal of Horse Hobbs MM accompanied the horse on the long journey. 

The model is built from the Parkside kit. It is a lovely model and my only criticism is that the small steps at each end of the solebars are very fragile. Two came off immediately and are listed as missing-in-action. Intelligence sources report that the Carpet Monster is the most likely culprit. When I have the time, and the inclination, I will make some replacements from metal.

Beautifully modelled Chris.

However, I should warn you, that if your next post features a scale representation of the said horse 'Nimrod', being ridden by a certain Pepper Pig, then I am afraid I shall have to 'Unfollow' this topic forthwith (traumatic though that might be).

Respectfully

Steve N

;-)

Corporal of Horse Hobbs MM accompanied the horse on the long journey. 

What might be the relevant regulations and arrangements for feeding / watering the horse on such a long journey?

Might Hobbs be offered Hobnobs and cocoa as refreshment when passing through Wolverhampton, Shrewsbury or Dovey Jcn?

Beautifully modelled Chris.

However, I should warn you, that if your next post features a scale representation of the said horse 'Nimrod', being ridden by a certain Pepper Pig, then I am afraid I shall have to 'Unfollow' this topic forthwith (traumatic though that might be).

Respectfully

Steve N

;-)

Peppa Pig will feature soon in another episode of the Pig Family's peregrinations around Wales, but it does not involve cruelty to horses.

What might be the relevant regulations and arrangements for feeding / watering the horse on such a long journey?

Might Hobbs be offered Hobnobs and cocoa as refreshment when passing through Wolverhampton, Shrewsbury or Dovey Jcn?

I don't about the regulations, but I would wager that the care of equine passengers was a lot better than their human contemporaries. CoH Hobbs would probably have been given what was known as a haversack ration or two before departing Hyde Park Barracks. If not he would have been claiming a flat rate DRSA (Daily Rate Subsistence Allowance) for food and beverages in accordance with RAAC (Regulations for Army Allowances and Charges).