12 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

……………………………… even better Chris. :yahoo::good::clapping:

That's just what I was about to say, until I turned the page and see you beat me to it Barnaby, haha:good:

• Like 2

Hi Chris.

That black & white photo of your layout really looks good. It is so realistic and could easily be mistaken for the real thing. These sorts of shots take me back to my schoolboy days when colour photography was in its infancy and rather expensive. At that time we all (well most of us) had to make do with monochrome, not just in our own pictures but also in books.

I for one would like to see more of your layout in B & W. How about it?

Rod 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, railwayrod said:

Hi Chris.

That black & white photo of your layout really looks good. It is so realistic and could easily be mistaken for the real thing. These sorts of shots take me back to my schoolboy days when colour photography was in its infancy and rather expensive. At that time we all (well most of us) had to make do with monochrome, not just in our own pictures but also in books.

I for one would like to see more of your layout in B & W. How about it?

Rod 

Thanks Rod. These B&W shots are from Cwm Bach. I hope you like them.

Chris

Cwm_Bach_Engine_Shed_evening_scene_1_BW.jpg

Cwm_Bach_Station_301119_BW.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...

Rod,

I guess their sales would have actually been higher, but I doubt whether they’d have been (50/43.5)^3 higher, which is a quick and dirty estimate of how much more the models would have cost.  And I doubt they’d have recovered the difference making the prices higher, unfortunately.

I reckon it’s about 52% more expensive to make in 1/43.5 than in 1/50, just in material costs.  The difference surprises me, but 00 to 0 is about 5.5 times more material.  Paint is not so much - it’s only squared, not cubed.  Packaging similar.  Design is the same whatever the scale unless the larger scales demand more detail.

Toolmaking & moulding costs are probably not hugely different, though they too will be higher for the larger scale.

still, for us, 1/50 is an opportunity lost.  

keep well!

Simon

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, 81A Oldoak said:

Minerva 0 gauge Manning Wardle K CESTRIA advances gingerly along the Tonfanau Quarry siding from Tonfanau Camp station. The loco has been fitted with DCC sound, weathered, suited and booted for a customer. Crew figures are ModelU painted by Claudia Everett.

Regards,

Chris K

MW Blue CESTRIA 2.jpg

MW Blue CESTRIA 3.jpg

MW Blue CESTRIA 4.jpg

MW Blue CESTRIA 5.jpg

Superb! Chris.

How are your radio controlled experiments progressing?

ATVB,

Martin

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, big jim said:

sad to hear of chris’ passing eleswhere on the thread, lets hope tonfanau is able to live on somehow in his memory

thought with friends and family at this time

A fitting tribute to Chris to have his layouts 'saved' and/or preserved. My sincerest condolences. Chris and his model making will be very much missed by many.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4

I can only echo others thoughts on this very sad occasion. Chris's passing is a great loss to us all and he will be missed by many of us not only for his modelling skills but his friendly chat and helpfulness when he was manning his stand at various exhibition. I am lucky to have known him but I do have a little reminder of him as he presented me with the running in board now "planted" on the end of Ramchester's long platform.

RIP Chriss you will always be remembered.

Rod

• Like 7
  • Agree 3