Latest Rapido News UK is out

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry to hear you hadn't been having much fun with the Stirling Single; the problems must have sent you round the bend. Good luck with the rest of the development!

Not least of my interest in the Stirling single model is handing over 'the problems' to someone else to sort out!

Commercially my thought would be supplied to run on R2, with two user optional clip in pieces representing the bogie spashers and inside third of the cylinders to give full representation of the appearance for the display cabinet, but layout operation only possible over >> set track radius curves. Let's see if they can better that.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry to hear you hadn't been having much fun with the Stirling Single; the problems must have sent you round the bend. Good luck with the rest of the development!

I did tell them that Bill ought really to be spending his time developing Great Western engines (proper GWR that is, not one of those pale overseas imitations).   Now a Dean Single ...   ...   ...

I think the solution to the Stirling issue is quite simple. We'll just legislate the allowed OO minimum radius to be 12 feet. Surely everyone has room for that in the shed or loft. 

I put in a call to the Department for Model Railways and the man who answered the phone seemed quite enthusiastic about it. He then asked me if I was going to stop wasting his time and whether or not I really needed a minicab.

-Jason

• RMweb Gold

I think the solution to the Stirling issue is quite simple. We'll just legislate the allowed OO minimum radius to be 12 feet. Surely everyone has room for that in the shed or loft. 

I put in a call to the Department for Model Railways and the man who answered the phone seemed quite enthusiastic about it. He then asked me if I was going to stop wasting his time and whether or not I really needed a minicab.

-Jason

At least he didn't try and fix the slow running on your PC with your credit card.

12ft radius sounds fine, I'd already thought of extending the layout by taking down the side wall of the house, now I have a reason to do it.

I did tell them that Bill ought really to be spending his time developing Great Western engines (proper GWR that is, not one of those pale overseas imitations).   Now a Dean Single ...   ...   ...

I heard that when Bill first walked into the NRM, he instantly saw this big dome less single, thought he saw GWR on the tender (well an N at an oblique angle can look like a W) and said "Jason, for Rapido to be a success in the UK, we must do Great Western engine, and here is one right in front of us. Let's do this one."

And Jason knowing nothing about GWR left Bill too it.

He was asked about the Dean single but ruled that out because of his GWR recognition rule number 5 - if it has a dome, it is not great western.

-Jason

Isn't it the Ministry of Model Railways? Department sounds so North American....

Isn't it the Ministry of Model Railways? Department sounds so North American....

Nobody in North America ever uses the term "Department for." That is entirely British. I feel like I've just passed some kind of BritTest by knowing that....  :sungum:

In Canada we have "Department of" and "Ministry of," but usually it's just avoided.  We have the agency/department name followed by "Canada," such as "Revenue Canada" and "Transport Canada." The biggest ministries are Beer Canada, Moose Canada and Hockey Night in Canada....

-Jason

Nobody in North America ever uses the term "Department for." That is entirely British. I feel like I've just passed some kind of BritTest by knowing that....  :sungum:

In Canada we have "Department of" and "Ministry of," but usually it's just avoided.  We have the agency/department name followed by "Canada," such as "Revenue Canada" and "Transport Canada." The biggest ministries are Beer Canada, Moose Canada and Hockey Night in Canada....

-Jason

Department of Motor Vehicles in California (the dreaded DMV) is the largest issuer of vehicle and drivers licenses on North America. Canada is just trying to be so modern with "Revenue Canada" and "Transport Canada" and it is acceptable to les Quebecois... 

Just so.

US: Department of Transportation.  UK: Department for Transport.

Though interestingly:

US: Department of Health and Human Services. UK: Department of Health.

Surely that's the Bureau for Model Railway Standards // Office for the Promotion of Genteel Hobbies (formerly Office for the promotion of Gentlemanly Pastimes but a non-gender definitive name was required)  // Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

The bureau was formerly housed in the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills until a bright young fellow in Whitehall realized that people should be in the business of model railways only because they are madly passionate about them, not for making money hand over fist, that being restricted to The City.

Office for the Promotion of Genteel Hobbies (formerly Office for the promotion of Gentlemanly Pastimes but a non-gender definitive name was required)

Only problem is that shortens to OFPROGH, which sounds far too progressive for Gentlemanly Pastimes (OFGEPAS?)

I don't know - I'm also from Canada, so maybe I missed the guidelines for the 1984-ish naming of various bureaux and offices.

Archived