OK just a quick re-cap based on the pics I posted the other day.............

I ordered a few bits (Javis tarmac paper and Noch traffic barriers). These came last week.

I unwrapped the Javis road paper and it was curled up like a snake, leaving permanent folds in the surface. (This is one of my pet hates at work when people fold or roll drawings too tightly!)

So I borrowed the dining room table and my sons books and using a plank of wood, managed to straighten things out. (This took 2 days).

I finished messing around with the plasticard hardstanding areas. As I have mentioned before, trains weren't running as well as I'd hoped through this bit of the layout so I set about filing, trimming, and removing excess material that was causing interference with wheels and flanges.

Once I had done this, I masked off, then primed the errant surfaces and airbrushed Phoenix Precision concrete colour over the top. (I definitely recommend having the door open for this stuff! Very potent!) - n.b. I still wear my British Army S10 respirator whilst spraying but that paint is hell!  :yes:

After the paint had 24hrs to go off, I scribed grooves in the surface of the plasticard and added PVA, then green flock to represent weeds growing thro the slab joints (as I did with the P-Way yard further on up).

I then weathered the lot, and paid attention to the four foot, and added progressively darker shades of browns/ matt blacks to represent oil and crud.

With the surrounding areas having gone off I had an ephiphany - I remebered that I'd bought some spraymount. All I had to do was find it, which was easier said than done. 10 minutes later spraymount in hand, I laid the road paper.

(Observing it was a little too coarse and overscale. Damn. Anyhoo, plank overlaid onto setting road paper and weighted down with tins of emulsion it was left to dry.

With the road paper dry and the edges nicely stuck with no gaps, I got the trusty old Noch Grassmaster out and added some weeds to several areas, using different fibres, lengths and colours.

I also added what will be a redundant track in a gap that was too big for anything really so needed filling (but in a subtle way). I will add a lot of weeds and perhaps a redundant wagon. (I really want to add a Hornby Shark to represent an abandoned vehicle (like the infamous one at Shenfield!), but dont know  if I can justify glueing down and vandalising a brand new £20 wagon for effect?! Ive got eight or nine sharks, so will I miss one?   :swoon:  :sarcastic:

Im currently working on the access road itself and the fencing and yet more weeds.

Im enjoying it at last! (time is ticking until October 13th when it makes its debut at the Cradley Heath show! eek!)

Thanks for looking!

Trev :)

• Like 1

Hi Trev

The layout really has come on in leaps and bounds mate. Looking really good.

I'll try and make the Cradley show as its only 10 minutes down the road.

Would be great to finally meet up and see the layout in the flesh.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi dude

Thank you. its been a right slog!

That would be awesome to meet up mate

Welcome to come n have a play too!

• Like 1

I had a few good hours last night, finishing off around 00.30.

The new truncated track I had laid a couple of days ago had dried sufficiently to allow me to rip one bit up. (this was intentional as I wanted to achieve an effect in the ballast)

I then added a buffer stop, a shed load of paint, muck, ballast, weathering powders and flock to represent very old unused track.

I will finish it off tonight with more static grassing and paint.

Rather than use a new Shark, I had an old Hornby HAA.

I filled it up with coal, and removed the couplings. I will address the pants weathering and will re weather, add pipes and instanters tonight.

A few pics quickly as I am interviewing for apprentices in 5 minutes!!!  :O  :O  :O

post-7156-0-52695800-1535025781_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-53746400-1535025797_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-75410600-1535025805_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-16383300-1535025814_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-57988400-1535025823_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Trev

:sungum:

• Like 8

Oh and the fencing will be fixed too.  :scratchhead:  :sarcastichand:

Currently it looks like a Tornado has passed through.

And no not the LNER one..... (saying that Ive got a lovely Mashima powered DJH B16/4 that I need to convert to DCC....)

Ill do a steam layout one day...

Trev  :mosking:

Looking for some advice please - 

I'm after some station signs, signs for the side of my sheds and general H & S signs/limited clearance that sort of thing.

Much appreciated

I got the custom made ones from Sankey Scenics, which I actually used for the first time last weekend. Not the best modelling skills but you get the idea..........

attachicon.gifDepot Signage.jpg

Hi Adrian, 

Appreciate your reply - I will try Sankey Scenics!!!

Thank you

A few photos from last nights 10 mins in the garage:

Desk which is destined for one of the portacabins:

post-7156-0-20611100-1535632024_thumb.jpg

3D printed signal levers:

post-7156-0-93896500-1535632066_thumb.jpg

Bit blurry sorry! - signal box interior showing lever frame and equipment:

post-7156-0-83996600-1535632101_thumb.jpg

Crane (Upcycled from Pensbridge):

post-7156-0-55872200-1535632159_thumb.jpg

EWS 37669 stabled:

post-7156-0-22027800-1535632187_thumb.jpg

Recent transfer from Blyth Cambois to Toton:

post-7156-0-32160800-1535632232_thumb.jpg

Pair of 20's await the road with a short rake of mermaids:

post-7156-0-11205500-1535632270_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking - any comments more than welcome :)

Trev

• Like 15

Recent transfer from Blyth Cambois to Toton:

attachicon.gif06 56127.jpg

Your pic of 56127 reminded me of this pic I took at Blyth Cambois. Also like to mention that your ballasting work looks great.

post-7898-0-66264400-1536160341_thumb.jpg

Mal

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 4

Your pic of 56127 reminded me of this pic I took at Blyth Cambois. Also like to mention that your ballasting work looks great.

attachicon.gifBlyth Cambois TMD.jpg

Mal

Hi Mal,

Loving the pic, thanks for sharing!

Im a big fan of 56's but not the engine room.....! (those who have been in one will testify!) I was also shocked at the lack of legroom under the desks.

I only managed a trip round Cambois once and Im glad I did. 

I also did a tour with top n tailed grids and Sunderland Dock shed was a real bonus for me, as it still had plenty of grids.

Really appreciate your comment regarding ballasting. I find it quite therapeutic! 

Cheers for dropping by!

Its a real shame we have no depots anymore. 

• Like 1

• Great pic. Here's another pic of Cambois. Glad you were able to visit Cambois which was my local TMD. 
  •  
  • I must get a grid for my new layout.  Of course, it would have to be 'Blyth Power'.
  •  
  •  
  • attachicon.gifBlyth Cambois TMD (2).jpg

Top stuff Mal!

Of course it would have to be 134!

My local depot was Saltley, we got a few grids there occasionally in the 1990's, but it was mostly 47's.

post-7156-0-12768900-1536238274_thumb.jpg

Heres 117 in its final EWS days

Edited by big T
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A busy few weeks slogging to get passably complete before the Cradley MRC exhibition on 13th October.

First of four Virgin mk2's modified:

post-7156-0-53670600-1538396605_thumb.jpg

Still lots to do!

post-7156-0-58785300-1538396652_thumb.jpg

I made a scratched area on the platform surface. To rectify this I have added a workman and his pneumatic breaker. See further on down for the matching compressor and air hose.

post-7156-0-49916800-1538396672_thumb.jpg

I found this - I forgot I had it! bonus!

post-7156-0-69009900-1538396766_thumb.jpg

The compressor to suit the workman above

post-7156-0-18129100-1538396794_thumb.jpg

Shed door added and more weathering carried out:

post-7156-0-56109300-1538396823_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

A busy few weeks slogging to get passably complete before the Cradley MRC exhibition on 13th October.

First of four Virgin mk2's modified:

attachicon.gif001 mk2.jpg

Still lots to do!

attachicon.gif002 to do list.jpg

I made a scratched area on the platform surface. To rectify this I have added a workman and his pneumatic breaker. See further on down for the matching compressor and air hose.

attachicon.gif003 workman.jpg

I found this - I forgot I had it! bonus!

attachicon.gif004 60066.jpg

The compressor to suit the workman above

attachicon.gif005 compressor.jpg

Shed door added and more weathering carried out:

attachicon.gif006 shed.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I like the weathering on the shed. looks really good