I like the weathering on the shed. looks really good

Thank you Phil,  to be honest Ive actually done it three times now, slightly adjusting the degree of intensity as Ive gone along.

Just need to make a fixing system to enable me to secure/remove the roof when I need to get access.

Trev :)

your layout is realy amazing ! 

very nice and realistic layout. 

Thank you very much! your comments are very welcome and appreciated!

As I've mentioned before, I am taking the layout to its first show at Cradley Heath in Birmingham on 13th October. So I am now in the final stages of preparation.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138003-cradley-heath-model-railway-club-exhibition-2018-13102018/

I ordered some fabric for the front curtain and have advise SWMBO to get the sewing machine on battle stations.

The clear perspex I ordered has also turned up, so next week will include the installation of both of these items.

I have glossed the external faces of the boards protecting the fiddle yard and station end (3 coats each), which was fun.

I have also added a second control panel for my NCE controller, which will enable the fiddle yard user and the points operator to both have a controller. The original idea was for me to be "out front" controlling the up and down mains to and from the station, with the other controller looking after the fiddle yard and WRD.

However its playing up a bit as the second controller doesnt always work. I think it may be a connectivity issue with the prongs in the controller and the RJ45 connector from the power cab.

Anyhoo thats going to be trial and error at the show - guarantee it will go wrong!!

In the meantime I have ordered some new custom length cables from the nice people at DCC Concepts.I have had one before from them and the service was excellent, arriving in a day or so after order. 

The next few photos show a few recent things I have been doing, including the following;

• Cleaning up and weathering of the hardstanding (again) - I repainted it as I didnt like the original concrete colour.
  • Adding signs around the layout (limited clearance, stopboards, anti-trespass etc)
  • Weathering and cleaning up of the ballast and trackwork around the WRD
  • Adding the slave fascia plate as detailed above
  • Re-weathered the shed 
  • Weathered the compressor and painted the air line to the workmans' Kango hammer

I also added decoders to a few locos that previously didnt have them (798 being one).

post-7156-0-04366600-1538634703_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-84255500-1538634747_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-62371000-1538634767_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-67713300-1538634784_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-51388000-1538634795_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-21360400-1538634815_thumb.jpg

Finally the real 798 at MG rotting..

https://flic.kr/p/9YvG5Y

Cheers

Edited by big T
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Trev, The layouts is looking great. 37798 was the first Mainline Freight loco I saw. My pic below shows the loco at EH at the launch of Mainline freight.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-97480300-1538643364_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-61824700-1538643437_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Trev, The layouts is looking great. 37793 was the first Mainline Freight loco I saw. My pic below shows the loco at EH at the launch of Mainline freight.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Thank you!

She looked great when all bulled up!

My two particular favourites were 796 (RF Coal, and 798 MLB).

I think this will be a nice model once I've fitted sound to it and dulled the bogies down a bit

Hi Peter

Thank you!

I think this will be a nice model once I've fitted sound to it and dulled the bogies down a bit

No worries Trev, Here is 798 before being painted. I might have posted this before but ah well.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M

Hi Peter

Thank you!

No worries Trev, Here is 798 before being painted. I might have posted this before but ah well.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-93625600-1538656958_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Best of luck for tomorrow's show.

I'm hoping I can persuade the boys & wife to visit. If i'm successful, I'll say hello! 

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam

It was great to meet you finally!! Im really sorry I was a bit stressed - my controllers were giving me a headache fighting against each other!

Thank you for saying hello!

Have a great show Trev......I have my daughter this weekend so sadly I can't make it but I hope you have a great time  :sungum:

Hi Adrian mate

Sorry you couldnt make it it was a really enjoyable show and I got some really positive feedback!

Hopefully we will bump into each other somewhere along the line!!

(if you pardon the pun haha!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent the last few evenings reading my way through this thread, and what a fantastic and entertaining read it's been with all the banter.

I've enjoyed seeing the layout progress, and what a great little layout it is. I've also enjoyed seeing all the photos of your collection of rolling stock. Some amazing looking loco's, and beautifully weathered too. Your period is slightly later than my chosen period, as my stock is more the transition from BR blue to The sector livery loco's, late 80's to early 90's. Like you, I do love my tractors, although I don't have as many as you.

I know from what I've read you've had some high points, and some low points throughout the build of this layout, but it's definitely been worth it though. I hope when I finally get around to building my layout, if it's half as good as this I'll be happy. I've just got to find my modelling mojo, as it seems to disappeared over the last 6 months.

What a great little layout. I love it. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to following this thread.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

I have spent the last few evenings reading my way through this thread, and what a fantastic and entertaining read it's been with all the banter.

I've enjoyed seeing the layout progress, and what a great little layout it is. I've also enjoyed seeing all the photos of your collection of rolling stock. Some amazing looking loco's, and beautifully weathered too. Your period is slightly later than my chosen period, as my stock is more the transition from BR blue to The sector livery loco's, late 80's to early 90's. Like you, I do love my tractors, although I don't have as many as you.

I know from what I've read you've had some high points, and some low points throughout the build of this layout, but it's definitely been worth it though. I hope when I finally get around to building my layout, if it's half as good as this I'll be happy. I've just got to find my modelling mojo, as it seems to disappeared over the last 6 months.

What a great little layout. I love it. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to following this thread.

Hi Charlie

Thank you very much for your kind words, it really does mean a lot. When I look at it, I am still not happy with it, and it always surprises me when people give it praise.

I'm still struggling with it to be honest, and am thinking of putting it up for sale as my wedding is fast approaching and we could do with some extra pound notes in the bank. Im just not sure.

Kindest regards

I must be mellowing or going down a different path in life!

I have purchased the following recently:

1 x rebuilt Battle of Britain

1 x unrebuilt West Country

1 x 4F

1 x Hall

1 x Castle

1 x 28xx

1 x Jubilee with Fowler tender

1 x A3

1 x 9F

Ive also redressed the balance with:

1 x green 20

1 x R/F red stripe 20

1 x Reggie Rail 37429.

Im also considering selling the layout. I fancy doing something industrial 

• 2 months later...

You've got a great layout that I always enjoy looking at :)

There is always something to improve and I'm now judging my projects as being complete when I'm happy and can live with my mistakes. Problem with selling layouts is that you never get much back... always easy to sell a loco or 2 ;)

cheers

Will

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, vulcan product fan said:

Hows things going trev whats with the kettles you thinking of doing a preserved oo gauge railway ?:huh: Hope all is well .

Hi matey 

Im OK thank you. Things are a bit slow at the moment as my wedding planning and the fish are taking up a lot of my time, plus its too flippin cold in the garage!! (even with heaters!)

Ive gone through a bit of an off phase TBH with the kettles. I did originally plan to chip, weather and an add crews, but Im really not sure what to do now! I might keep them!

Im planning a further 4' extension with a bridge, but need to get my posterior into gear.

Ive also been sorting my dads collection out. He passed away a few years ago and his locos have been boxed in the loft since and my mum wants me to sell them. So me and my son spent Saturday cleaning and cataloging. we managed about 50 odd locos (all kit built hand painted steam - mostly BR, LMS, LNWR, GWR and LNER). Breaks my heart to sell them.  Gotta try and work out how to sell it all. :(

Anyhoo cheers for asking, ill try n post some of the stuff Ive done recently :)

Cheers

17 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

You've got a great layout that I always enjoy looking at :)

There is always something to improve and I'm now judging my projects as being complete when I'm happy and can live with my mistakes. Problem with selling layouts is that you never get much back... always easy to sell a loco or 2 ;)

cheers

Will

Hi Will, 

Thank you for your kind comments.

It'll never recoup what I've put into it!! TBH I'm still 50/50...despite me buying some new wagons recently...

Cheers

Trev

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big T said:

Hi matey 

Im OK thank you. Things are a bit slow at the moment as my wedding planning and the fish are taking up a lot of my time, plus its too flippin cold in the garage!! (even with heaters!)

Ive gone through a bit of an off phase TBH with the kettles. I did originally plan to chip, weather and an add crews, but Im really not sure what to do now! I might keep them!

Im planning a further 4' extension with a bridge, but need to get my posterior into gear.

Ive also been sorting my dads collection out. He passed away a few years ago and his locos have been boxed in the loft since and my mum wants me to sell them. So me and my son spent Saturday cleaning and cataloging. we managed about 50 odd locos (all kit built hand painted steam - mostly BR, LMS, LNWR, GWR and LNER). Breaks my heart to sell them.  Gotta try and work out how to sell it all. :(

Anyhoo cheers for asking, ill try n post some of the stuff Ive done recently :)

Cheers

Hi trev thanks for the reply sorry to hear about your dad mate i'm very close to my old man we spent loads of time together as i grew up and would be at a loss without him  so can only imagine how you feel and trying to sort  out his stuff . Have you spoke to one of the big second hand site they may be able to help and advise you on a way forward 

• Friendly/supportive 2

16 hours ago, vulcan product fan said:

Hi trev thanks for the reply sorry to hear about your dad mate i'm very close to my old man we spent loads of time together as i grew up and would be at a loss without him  so can only imagine how you feel and trying to sort  out his stuff . Have you spoke to one of the big second hand site they may be able to help and advise you on a way forward 

Hi mate yeah its very difficult going through his stuff.

I think I will try and sell them privately TBH as I would like to see them go to someone who will use them as opposed to a shop where its a bit impersonal.

Im trying to use the "whats on my mind" function to say that Ive got stuff to sell, but it just takes me to my profile?! I might have to speak to admin...

Cheers

Trev

• Like 1

I've not done a great deal to the layout over the winter period, and its been sheeted over in the garage.

I suppose that's one of the disadvantages of having the layout in there that you're governed by the cold as to how much work you can do and when....

I've had a couple of new purchases arrive namely:

• Dapol JNA's - maybe  a bit modern for my time frame, still I might weather them add a load and sell them
  • Cavalex PGA's - Stunning models, by far the best RTR model ive seen - I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to weather them...more to be purchased as I want at least 20....
  • Cambrian Sturgeon - beautiful model.
  • Bachmann Regional Railways 37429 - now sound fitted and detailed. Needs weathering
  • Hornby Sentinel - nice little model - waiting for a 4 pin decoder for it.
  • Bachmann 20132 - runs like a pig, I might hack it to bits to enable a couple of speakers to be fitted

I've also fitted a decoder to a nice RF metals 37 I've had for a while - 37503 - 'British Steel Shelton' and have given it a good 2 days worth of running in on the rolling road, but it appears its not  brilliant in the running dept.

Im still not sure if Im going to sell up yet, currently my company is in the news and is going through some very tough times. We will find our futures this week......so it may be necessary to pay the bills..we will see.

On that cheerful note..!

001 sturgeon.jpg

002 20132.jpg

003 37429.jpg

004 JNA.jpg

005 sentinel.jpg

006 PGA.jpg

007 37503.jpg

Edited by big T
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1