• RMweb Premium

Keep up the good work, but don't get distracted by too many Hoovers.......... We know someone who did and look what happened to him - he moved onto 47s.

Cheers,

Mick

That's not through choice !!

It's just to keep the old man happy, seeing as he goes halves on all the models......

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

Mess room located, along with potential stores container. Buffer added to siding and VDA for effect. Still got ballast to add to the edges of the concrete and lots of weathering/weeds but I think the essence of the depot corner is looking a bit better now

attachicon.gifMess Room 7.jpg

Great work but if you don't mind me saying you need a container true to your era or 10 years before if it is being used as a spare store.

Hope this helps http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/project_freightliner.html 

regards M

Great work but if you don't mind me saying you need a container true to your era or 10 years before if it is being used as a spare store.

Hope this helps http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/project_freightliner.html

regards M

Good God no, of course I don't mind, the more advice the better. To be honest I'm cheating, my main aim of the layout is to try and capture what I remember as a kid and put that into model form. But that's even a wide scope from the mid 70's (spotting with my Dad) almost up to the early 90's (bashing on all-line Rail Rovers). I guess my main period is late 80's.

However I like the modern scene too and so every so often I will swap the stock around and go present day without changing much else on the layout. The container you see there is just something from my modern stash, I have considered the containers in your link and am even thinking about a VDA removed from its chassis.......sure there was some of those at Laira.

Thanks for popping by though and taking the time to comment  :)

• Like 1

Good God no, of course I don't mind, the more advice the better. To be honest I'm cheating, my main aim of the layout is to try and capture what I remember as a kid and put that into model form. But that's even a wide scope from the mid 70's (spotting with my Dad) almost up to the early 90's (bashing on all-line Rail Rovers). I guess my main period is late 80's.

However I like the modern scene too and so every so often I will swap the stock around and go present day without changing much else on the layout. The container you see there is just something from my modern stash, I have considered the containers in your link and am even thinking about a VDA removed from its chassis.......sure there was some of those at Laira.

Thanks for popping by though and taking the time to comment  :)

There were grounded VDAs at a few places , inc Northampton . If you don't mind 100 % accuracy peters spares were doing VDA bodies for £1.50 , they are EWs livery so you'd have to paint them

So somehow last week ended up working back on stock again. First up detailing and a light weathering on Dauntless

attachicon.gif50048 1.jpg

attachicon.gif50048 2.jpg

attachicon.gif50048 3.jpg

Completely debranded 50013 and made 50027 the last 50 my Dad and I needed for sight before they went and named them all

attachicon.gif50027 1.jpg

attachicon.gif50027 2.jpg

And then having detailed it I felt the Bachmann weathering on this example was a tad monochrome........so I had a go.......

attachicon.gif25279.jpg

As you can see I'm no expert at weathering but don't mind having a go, certainly not worthy of a workbench thread but I'd hate to think you were all thinking that nothing was happening on the layout........ :)

Hoover Heaven Adrian!

I think your weathering is spot on.

Cheers

Trev :)

Thanks Trev,

I'm not a natural with an airbrush yet or even relaxed with it but that is improving I think with every time I have a go. I haven't really even got a sensible place to airbrush which is why when I do have a go I tend to have 2-4 loco's to have a go at all in one go as I end up taking over the utility room with the door wide open. Sometimes as you can imagine that is not a household favourable option!!!!!!!

Anyway I have my little girl this week for half term so I think it's going to be a quiet modelling week although I have just managed to put together and paint a pathway to go the signal box and around the fuel tanks

Footpath.jpg.3e20757ef46bfe077164d41f162612cb.jpg

Edited by Iron Horse
Replacing Images
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a while hasn't it? Well I've had a go at a bit of scenery..............landscape, grass and trees I really don't think are quite my thing.......lol.

Anyway trying to complete a little more of the corner here is the development around the fuel storage tanks.

So firstly here is a rough plan for the pathways

1251336003_FuelTankscene1.jpg.51ef1f94fcfee9c99f67e151ffb7d21a.jpg

With the intention of creating an overall look like this

903298437_FuelTankscene2.jpg.5e69d35c1e20b0f003a4ba8cf2e33d6d.jpg

First bit of landscaping

2080834494_FuelTankscene3.jpg.fc3b7962924297193bedf6b43696c6b0.jpg

Some static grass

876127190_FuelTankscene4.jpg.5dec08ce7e3db91b535e30280ba2783e.jpg

Bit more of an overview

1603714111_FuelTankscene5.jpg.c08c2fd23d7b97b6bec179776a0f76d1.jpg

Fabricated shell for a pump house, based very loosely on those at Buxton

1777632409_FuelTankscene6.jpg.8c28e6f15340787760e637186fc570dc.jpg

A bit more done to the pump house, more landscape added with grass and then some foliage placed on to gauge effect

627839525_FuelTankscene7.jpg.61b1e3743b132fe2da52cf37cc3d09fc.jpg

Not in the same league as many people on here but a step in the right direction. I probably compromise a fair bit on this layout but there is a chance a move will be on the cards sometime over the next few years.......the next attempt will be a much more serious affair. As always, thanks for looking guys  :sungum:

Edited by Iron Horse
Replacing Images
  • Like 12

Nice work Adrian. The depot area looks really good. The last overall picture shows what a very effective job you've done with the space available. Corners of layouts can looked very crammed in sometimes but yours looks just right. 

Keep up the good work mate.

Cheers

Marcus

• RMweb Gold

Not in the same league as many people on here but a step in the right direction. I probably compromise a fair bit on this layout but there is a chance a move will be on the cards sometime over the next few years.......the next attempt will be a much more serious affair. As always, thanks for looking guys  :sungum:

Hmmmm, not sure I agree here Adrian. I'd be pretty pleased with myself if I were you mate. I've picked up some good modelling tips and ideas by reading your thread and you're doing a cracking job!

Hi Adrian,

I think youve done a cracking job with the scenery - the static grass looks mint.

I find its difficult not to make it look like a lawn, especially if Im using smaller fibres, but yours doesnt.

keep up the good work :)

Trev

Don't put yourself down Adrian. You've done a spectacular job for the space you have available. As I said before you've done a superb job on that corner. A lot of layouts where a corners been filled look too compressed. Yours doesn't look like that at all. I think the cleverly placed greenery around the oil storage tanks gives the feeling of space. It really is a lovely little layout and you should be very proud of it. Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Marcus

Oh, the other thing I meant to say is that you aren't scared of having a go at scratch building. That is also something you should be proud of. It's something I've only really done since starting PDW as its the only real way to get what you want. I've made a few mistakes along the way but you just have to put it down to experience. Those skills develop overtime mate. Hence that's partly the reason I'm rebuilding the loading shed on PDW.

Crack on mate as its always a pleasure to look in to see what you've been up to.

M

• Like 1

Well that'll teach me to read everybody's post. I was convinced I'd read everything you had put Marcus, obviously not..........probably now lost that feeling of space...........

Anyway I had felt for whatever reason, 1) the fuel tanks wouldn't be that close to the mainline in reality and 2) The BR board at the time wouldn't have wanted passengers to see 2 great big dirty oil tanks on arrival to their holiday destination..........so I thought they may have planted some trees to disguise things......sorry Marcus I think the space has gone

606403939_FuelTankscene8.jpg.b548842b57cd116f036ab5b71f943e72.jpg

So any initial thoughts on this would be welcome......I'm sure I could soon get them up if there is an overall concensus suggesting overcrowding. If however they stay does anybody have a good method of planting trees with the flat root bases? Yes I could have cut them off but I wanted the height of the tree above the ground. So my logic was to static grass, add trees, add basic ground cover to the base of the trees and now I'm stuck and have the result below. How can I blend some static grass in underneath the tree without damaging the tree itself. I know these aren't the most expensive of trees but I think they are really good value for the money especially after a bit of dry brushing on the trunks.

1120411812_FuelTankscene9.jpg.5ebcf0a02d0efe62691e7a9565e77df7.jpg

Had a bit of a play tonight and still in my earliest era, 45 036 enters Teignquay Docks with it's lovely Legomanbiffo sound decoder destroying the peace and tranquility of the evening in my house......well that was Carolyn's point of view!!!!!!!!

post-21158-0-93789700-1490227254_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking guys

Edited by Iron Horse
Replacing Images
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian,
Very nice - just goes to show you don't need huge amounts of space to create something special. Looks great, hope mine reaches the same level of skill!

Rich

Well that'll teach me to read everybody's post. I was convinced I'd read everything you had put Marcus, obviously not..........probably now lost that feeling of space...........

Anyway I had felt for whatever reason, 1) the fuel tanks wouldn't be that close to the mainline in reality and 2) The BR board at the time wouldn't have wanted passengers to see 2 great big dirty oil tanks on arrival to their holiday destination..........so I thought they may have planted some trees to disguise things......sorry Marcus I think the space has gone

attachicon.gifFuel Tank scene 8.jpg

So any initial thoughts on this would be welcome......I'm sure I could soon get them up if there is an overall concensus suggesting overcrowding. If however they stay does anybody have a good method of planting trees with the flat root bases? Yes I could have cut them off but I wanted the height of the tree above the ground. So my logic was to static grass, add trees, add basic ground cover to the base of the trees and now I'm stuck and have the result below. How can I blend some static grass in underneath the tree without damaging the tree itself. I know these aren't the most expensive of trees but I think they are really good value for the money especially after a bit of dry brushing on the trunks.

attachicon.gifFuel Tank scene 9.jpg

Had a bit of a play tonight and still in my earliest era, 45 036 enters Teignquay Docks with it's lovely Legomanbiffo sound decoder destroying the peace and tranquility of the evening in my house......well that was Carolyn's point of view!!!!!!!!

attachicon.gif45036 on Hoods.jpg

Thanks for looking guys

Not at all mate. The trees make it look even better. Because of the trees on the back scene are similar type and colour it all blends in beautifully. Its hard to tell now where the layout ends and the back scene starts. Really does look superb now mate.

Brilliant work.

Cheers

Marcus

Thank you gentleman for your kind comments.

It's been a bit of a strange week here, work has been stressful, modelling mojo keeps coming and going but watching the grid leave Basford Hall for Dee Marsh Jct on both Monday and Tuesday has managed to keep the enthusiasm going....just need to resist going all modern again so soon.......lol!!!!!!

So predominantly we played, firstly 45036 came down the branch with the trip working to Teignquay Docks

77210341_Bluerunning1.jpg.fa9c1720dd2ac2326f7a68015454400d.jpg

25279 prepares to go up the branch with a domestic coal working.......that reminds me.....must get some coal  :mosking:

97902392_Bluerunning2.jpg.11f4cfcb393fd10b53a6976959c866d7.jpg

31268 shunts the full and empty tanks around in the depot

2010866316_Bluerunning3.jpg.8dcbf2429c7f6a9cfa8a860f7d789324.jpg

Then, do any of you remember this print that was available in the 80's? 11 was my machine, my Dad even blagged me a cab ride in it well here is a small representation of the print with a with the vans arriving early morning in Teignquay

1217106391_50011Print.jpg.9056d7653829abbd0fe4b902041d59b7.jpg

580148520_Bluerunning4.jpg.2f27f275a41a640d43516b886a6b2e8a.jpg

Modelling I hear you say.......haven't done much really. The high winds ripped the flowers up which was a good thing as glued in place I couldn't put the fence up straight......

663622908_Stationfence1.jpg.df59a1ae314d760f5bc3723e3808b5f2.jpg

Must get the flowers planted back down again now

1919987247_Stationfence2.jpg.a34b752e4619cc49a469aa21e65594f0.jpg

Then I did get some dirty black washes in some grills before further weathering

1744102778_Dirtyblackgrills.jpg.ae4f541e22ecef360b1d6d3579c252c7.jpg

And finally I have temporarily put the station canopy up..........I have to say I am actually quite pleased with how it is starting to look................very rarely am I happy with anything I do........

21257680_StationCanopy1.jpg.23b655c1374581bc206af685f305efd0.jpg

Once again thanks for looking.......oh yes, I have a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon, any ideas for a quick win before my lady gets home?????

Edited by Iron Horse
Replacing Images
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

oh yes, I have a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon, any ideas for a quick win before my lady gets home?????

I almost read win as something else (apologies to the younger readers out there.....)

:no:  :no: :no:  

Cheers,

Mick

Do t be too harsh on yourself .....it looks good to us !

I knew a guy that was making an exquisite P4 model, it took so long he died making it.

Life is too short, be happy with your own enjoyment I say