Trawsfynydd Railway Society

28XX

It will also depend on the fueling arrangements of the new power station. From what I've read about these small modular nuclear station, at least some of them are based on submarine reactor designs. The reactors in the latest RN submarines have a 25 year life(*) without refueling, so that will remove some of the need for nuclear flask traffic.  

* Presumably that's elapsed life, rather than 25 years of continuous load. Presumably they'll spend several years of their life not doing much whilst the sub is in port having repairs and refits etc. 

The WSR had through freight traffic on it when the sea wall at Minehead was being repaired, which slotted in around the steam trains - indeed on one occasion a steam loco had to leave its passenger train to go and rescue a failed diesel-hauled stone train!

I think there is/has been some arrangement between the GCR(N) and one of the freight operators/NR to enable some freight trains to use the GCR(N).

I know of one other preserved railway which was approached by a stone company with the possibility of stone trains being worked over their line during the week, as the heritage trains normally only run at weekends. In that instance, the heritage railway were advised to be very careful with the wording of the contract so as not to impede any non-public heritage workings which may take place occasionally (school trips, filming trains etc).

• Like 1

Trawsfynedd is on the list for building a Small Modular Reactor power station, so IF it ever gets close to fruition NR will perhaps want to run trains over the line again. This being so, the preservation group should be looking to NR to help with any track rebuilding costs. On the other hand, off the top of my head I cannot think of any other preserved lines that have nuclear flask trains running over them. 

http://nuclearmatters.co.uk/2016/05/small-modular-reactors-to-bring-new-life-to-trawsfynydd/

Trawsfynydd isn't actually on any list though ...

• RMweb Gold

There are unlikely to be any nuclear waste trains, although there's the possibility of constructions materials being brought in if anything ever happened at Trawsfynydd.

Waste trains have stopped running to Sizewell now that the A station has been largely decommissioned, nothing runs in relation to the newer B station - it has never sent a single flask of waste in 20 years of use, it is all stored on site and a new store was recently opened that will hold a further 20 years spent fuel.

Martin

Trawsfynnydd is designated a Welsh Government Enterprise Zone for renewable and low carbon​ energy generation and their website refers to the site being suggested as a location for a small modular reactor.  Although energy generation is not a devolved matter, the fact Cardiff Bay appears to be giving public support to Traws becoming a location for a SMR means that if and when such developments are accepted by Westminster (and I suspect they will be giving the go-ahead after a suitable fall-out period from Hinckley Point) Traws will probably be one of the early announcements.

https://businesswales.gov.wales/enterprisezones/zones/snowdonia/about-snowdonia-enterprise-zone

​As others have said, the SMR and a heritage railway need not be mutually exclusive. 

• RMweb Gold

It will also depend on the fueling arrangements of the new power station. From what I've read about these small modular nuclear station, at least some of them are based on submarine reactor designs. The reactors in the latest RN submarines have a 25 year life(*) without refueling, so that will remove some of the need for nuclear flask traffic.  

* Presumably that's elapsed life, rather than 25 years of continuous load. Presumably they'll spend several years of their life not doing much whilst the sub is in port having repairs and refits etc. 

A lot of the nuclear flask movements - in fact the majority I would think - do not contain fuel rods but contain very low level waste such as protective clothing.  Thus if there is any work near even a 'lifetime sealed' reactor there will still be a probable need for occasional waste movements.

Wasn't that largely due to legal obstacles to taking over the trackbed, and once they were resolved didn't the old Welsh Highland construct a fair amount of the line which was then handed over to the Ffestiniog once it was complete to Caernarvon?

from what ive read theres some disputes going on there

WHHR helped F&WHR build some of the line under an agreement of running rights, then after it was finished, F&WHR apparently ignored them and started running the line. though things have been slowly getting better between them since then

Edited by sir douglas

• RMweb Gold

from what ive read theres some disputes going on there

WHHR helped F&WHR build some of the line under an agreement of running rights, then after it was finished, F&WHR apparently ignored them and started running the line. though things have been slowly getting better between them since then

The WHHR wasn't able raise sufficient funds to construct the section that they had agreed which would have taken them all the way to Pont Croesor, in the end only about half of the section was built up to a temporary loop, as a result the F&WHR had a section to build which wasn't budgeted for in the grand scheme.

Edited by mcowgill

• RMweb Gold

As I said on the face book page - a bit of clearing and two mountains of paperwork will see a great piece of line back in action regardless of gauge. I hope getting back to Cym Prysor viaduct is on the cards as that is such a lovely rugged valley. Did  smile on the piece in latest Railway Herald news pages - merrily talking about building back to Bala - whoops a bit of lake in the way , but never say never .... FR life story.

Robert   

Trawsfynnydd is designated a Welsh Government Enterprise Zone for renewable and low carbon​ energy generation and their website refers to the site being suggested as a location for a small modular reactor.  Although energy generation is not a devolved matter, the fact Cardiff Bay appears to be giving public support to Traws becoming a location for a SMR means that if and when such developments are accepted by Westminster (and I suspect they will be giving the go-ahead after a suitable fall-out period from Hinckley Point) Traws will probably be one of the early announcements.https://businesswales.gov.wales/enterprisezones/zones/snowdonia/about-snowdonia-enterprise-zone

​As others have said, the SMR and a heritage railway need not be mutually exclusive.

Again, Traws has not been included in the UK Government's National Policy Statement as a site for a nuclear new build, including an SMR. It's not quite as easy as just being announced ....

Again, Traws has not been included in the UK Government's National Policy Statement as a site for a nuclear new build, including an SMR. It's not quite as easy as just being announced ....

I didn't say it had.  I said the Welsh Government have SUGGESTED the site as being suitable for a modular reactor.  I also pointed out energy is NOT a devolved matter.

​However - IF a new programme of SMRs IS adopted by Westminster, the fact the Welsh Government have [a] not raised any philosophical or political objection to the notion of further Nuclear generation at Trawsfynydd and have suggested the site and as a designated Enterprise Zone will be making available assistance as part of the Zone designation would suggest if any such programme takes place that Traws could be viewed favourably.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The crowdfunder raised £3712, a long way off the £19k target. The money has been taken from the pledgers accounts but it is unclear what happens next. An extension on the purchase deadline has been secured, but how long it is, and how they plan to secure the funds to complete the purchase is yet to be revealed.

I thought the whole point of crowdfunding was that if the target was not reached, nobody's money would be taken and the project aborted. So now I'm confused.

That depends what crowd funding company you use to collect the money for you. The "classic" model is, as you say, all donations refunded if the target isn't met. However this campaign was using a "flexible" model where they get to keep the donations regardless. They still have to honour promised donor rewards, but that's pretty meaningless in this case - all the rewards were hedged with "...when the railway is completed".

When I saw this crowd funding thing being advertised on Facebook I asked them what would happen to the money if (well, I was thinking "when" in my head) they didn't reach their target. The answer was: they would consult with the donors to see what they wanted the cash to be used for.

A cynic might say the gronk was just a carrot to get people excited and to donate regardless of the outcome.

Edited by 28XX

• RMweb Gold

A while ago someone had suggested using this line for a velorail-type setup (pedal or gravity powered velocipedes downhill, dragged back to the top by a small loco). I thought that this would be a good idea as it sounded low cost and low risk by comparison to what seems to be planned.

On Facebook they have told people not to worry about the finances - they are doing ok and have plans in place - but no further details. I don't like to be pessimistic but it doesn't inspire confidence. The new platform alone at Whitby cost over £2m yet they have struggled to raise £19k for one loco. A seriously large amount of money will be needed for a new station and/or major signalling changes at Blaenau and a new station somewhere at the other end. I don't think £3k will quote be enough.

The latest post I saw about the gronk on their FB was that they were going to have discussions with the seller about its condition - elsewhere in FB people have suggested it needs about £40-50k of repair work - and come to a compromise. Nevertheless, I can't *quite* see the seller accepting less than 20% of the bid amount for it.

But, hey, they must be a Proper Railway because they've now got pin badges you can buy!