Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

Brilliant workmanship as always Shaun, you really amaze what you can do with a piece of Ply,

I shortened my Fiddle Yard yesterday on Mason St, TWICE,:o first to shorten it, and the second time to try and cut it SQUARE.:rolleyes:.

Wana buy some sawdust?:laugh:

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Wana buy some sawdust?

Can't you glue it all back together as a new sheet of ply?

:jester:

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
stoopid emoji thingy
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Shaun, amazing bit of workmanship,just one question were does the pilot sit. All the best Adrian.

See I am not the only one confused.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Brilliant workmanship as always Shaun, you really amaze what you can do with a piece of Ply,

I shortened my Fiddle Yard yesterday on Mason St, TWICE,:o first to shorten it, and the second time to try and cut it SQUARE.:rolleyes:.

Wana buy some sawdust?:laugh:

Don't laugh Andy but I've got a market around here for my sawdust!:D

Need to check out Mason st.

13 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Shaun, amazing bit of workmanship,just one question where does the pilot sit. All the best Adrian.

In front of the tele!:blink:

12 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Can't you glue it all back together as a new sheet of ply?

:jester:

Al.

It makes excellent filler when mixed with pva/white glue and a drop of water.:lol:

10 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Nice workmanship, do you keep all the Holes !!

manna

Yes! They make great kindling for our two wood stoves.:drag:

7 hours ago, Bogie said:

See I am not the only one confused.

There will be lots of confusion when I start trying to squeeze all that track on there Bogie.:crazy:

Thank you for all the kind comments. It should be expected that the woodwork is up to grade after all I do have 30 years experience  in cabinet making, wood machinist and fine furniture. I'm not going to put a hand varnished faux teak finish on it mind. Although I do have a reclaimed solid oak front kitchen that I will be remodeling to fit underneath for storage some day. Best get those trains running first eh! Come to think of it there's so many hidden sidings on Grim Up North that I probably wont need any storage. :D

Regards Shaun.

• Like 8

Shaun, you have a talent with woodwork that I could never master.  Congratulations.

I am so glad most of mine is complete, so I can apply my cack-handedness to other pursuits!

Regards

Scott

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jukebox said:

Shaun, you have a talent with woodwork that I could never master.  Congratulations.

I am so glad most of mine is complete, so I can apply my cack-handedness to other pursuits!

Regards

Scott

None of this would be possible without a fully equipped woodwork shop, I'm quite lucky to have it. Last year I was at an estate sale, most of the stuff was pure junk but I spotted a radial arm saw with a $20 tag. After finding other stuff such as packs of brad nails blades etc. with  a retail value of over $60 I offered the guy $15 for the saw if he'd though all the other junk in. After a strip down, a clean and tune up, new blade etc I ended up with a $500 machine for nothing. That's how ya do it!

There's none so cack-handed as Squatch BTW.

Regards Shaun

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Today  all the pin holes got filled and the whole thing had a sand up before I slid each half off the work bench onto dolly, spun them round and slid them back up onto the bench upside down ready for Leg construction in the morning.

980031700_exchange(1).JPG.1d82431314ec6cb8d8874182eb5fdd43.JPG

411975960_exchange(2).JPG.7a89e658f686fdf4a5f5ee72ca75c5c1.JPG

Looks more like it needs a captain and full crew rather than a pilot,

1688672259_exchange(5).JPG.98fdb9135720094e768d85d09f9e51af.JPG

The view up the join is interesting don't you think.

1410923336_exchange(4).JPG.0b800f25080872b76edb82968c0b6e2b.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Shaun, Dolly sounds very accommodating. All the best Adrian.

Haha ...yes she gets me out of quite a few tight spots! Very useful.  Dolly and blocking can do the work of four big burly bruisers!!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Anotheran said:

...in a galaxy far, far away...

Looking stellar Shaun!

3PO.3PO, come in 3PO...

1038934237_exchange(4).JPG.123b1ac2c4bca12309443e1f268e9853.JPG

It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs

1606296287_exchange(5).JPG.81824b0ee210a1eda7f216b451cb88be.JPG

:drag:

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Here we are at last then. Landing gear down I mean legs in the air as promised.

There's a well tested approach to the leg system I have developed. These are made from a sheet of hickory faced plywood that I found in the bargain rack at my cabinet supply place. It was dirty and scratched by the fork lift but @ $15 who cares right.

I ripped off the required amount to 3" and cut the legs in pairs to 35" +  9ish" (the depth of the frames) =44". Placing the pairs in the frames gives an accurate measurement for the rails.

The four pairs of legs were glued and pinned together flat on the workbench and 6" triangle corner braces added.

Checked for squareness a diagonal cross  brace is cut, glued and pinned for stability.

131965915_legs(1).JPG.c570ebceaa04ea1411d6e51a98245003.JPGnote2.png.990001325300afc7d739f576c4b20c54.png

I added blocks to the outside of the legs with the top at 35". This is where the frames sit. 

690954725_Legs3.JPG.7030e61a52516a64d8a07441d0f01f84.JPG

There's two sets of legs set loose into each frame. A double thickness of thick paper used as a spacer and more short ply leg of cuts glued and pinned to the frame thus the legs just slot in.

Legs2.JPG.1f3c2dfddac35e128db5a763bba21b12.JPG

The legs on the station board are arranged at 90° to those on the yard board giving rather good stability.

485875115_legs(3).JPG.44d23a23ea196dd75a40fe5715544bc6.JPG

That done we can move it into the warehouse and marry Bradford up to Queensbury. :dancing:

As time allows I will begin with the cork laying, painting and track work.

324494183_legs(2).JPG.647abfe041b84d1c060bfcf39d4623c9.JPG

Hope you have enjoyed my woodworking process even if I have been a little long winded.:drag:

Happy Easter, Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

I hear Elton John saw what you are up to, and is gonna call about you making a Grand Piano for his last world tour...

Astoundly well done woodwork.  Total envy from down under here.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Thought you said it wasn't 'That' big, it's bigger than 'some' British Flat's !!!!!!

manna

Having brought the house I grew up in Manna, the largest layout I could build for 30 years of my life was 4' X 6' and had to live behind the wardrobe. So I could be said that I'm making up for that in some way.

Most people around here have a decent sized garage and nearly all of them are full of junk that's never gonna get used.

Every garage in our street is used in a different way. Virtually nobody uses them to park their cars. In fact quite a few are used as marijuana growing facilities now that it's legal.     

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Every garage in our street is used in a different way. Virtually nobody uses them to park their cars. In fact quite a few are used as marijuana growing facilities now that it's legal.     

So that's what you're building.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Very nice work Shaun, as we've come to expect.

So what's next after you've got it the other way up?

Al.

Thanks Al.

Primer and green paint. ¼ cork track bed. track, point motors, ballast. grass!

Oh no. sorry there won't be any grass on this layout, just grime and a forest of signals.:drag:

In the wood work shop I got to build a new kitchen dresser and some bird houses before I can start on more base boards for the junction that joins the hidden sidings from Queensbury and Goathland into a four track main line.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jukebox said:

I hear Elton John saw what you are up to, and is gonna call about you making a Grand Piano for his last world tour...

Astoundly well done woodwork.  Total envy from down under here.

Cheers

Scott

I did help make a chair for the Queen once. Long story...! Perhaps I could make sir Elton's piano stool!

And thanks, thanks!

Edited by Sasquatch
Bad punctuation.
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Bogie said:

So that's what you're building.

Nah...

...now it's legal it takes all the fun outta it!

Besides who needs to grow it when there's a bloody pharmacy on every corner now. I saw one the other day called "HASH,n,CARRY".:smoke::drag::smoke::bad:

• Like 1
  • Funny 5