Jump to content

Grim-up-North; Goathland & Queensbury. Castle junction.


Sasquatch
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

These turned out quite well.

 

The bamboo berry sprigs.

412152077_Bambooberrysprigtrees(1).JPG.4c8e35635286196c03f03e944e723a1d.JPG

 

Trimmed up a bit and sections super glued together.

1976635356_Bambooberrysprigtrees(2).JPG.14b63373a75d0feb3ce3d7ef11d59200.JPG

 

Dog bed stuffing added and a coat of the camo brown.

463211338_Bambooberrysprigtrees(3).JPG.87b0db00413c1ba23c3481cf3083d48c.JPG

 

The foliage attached using Aquanet hairspray.

1853948062_Bambooberrysprigtrees(4).JPG.2f9aa3df056cad8fa6a069c54842d406.JPG

 

1348550867_Bambooberrysprigtrees(5).JPG.17e1be64fa4198bcd90180076eafb2ae.JPG

 

Squatch.

The trees look absolutely great - brilliant.....   but they are completely useless.

 

It's impossible to see the trains, now.       

 

   :blush_mini:   Oops, forgot you are a newly converted colonial rebel, best I keep an eye out for possible hit-men, with muskets..... 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Funny 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

You know what Shaun, you would have to look very hard to find anything in this photo that tells you it's a model.

 

DSCF2214.JPG.ced164233ba6606800aaffed0309fbe1.JPG.d85a68de377e01b0c0dd5083cdeab119.JPG

 

 

Brilliant mate.

 

Al.

  • Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Shaun, they have come out very nicely, look very realistic. All the best Adrian.

Thank you Adrian.

They're not of any particular type but then again most people don't know one tree from the next. If I were to say they were maples though I might get away with that but do maples grow in West Yorkshire???

 

Regards Shaun

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jcredfer said:

The trees look absolutely great - brilliant.....   but they are completely useless.

 

It's impossible to see the trains, now.       

 

   :blush_mini:   Oops, forgot you are a newly converted colonial rebel, best I keep an eye out for possible hit-men, with muskets..... 

 

 

Hi J.

The idea of the trees right there is to create a scenic break which I neglected to point out.

 

I wouldn't worry about men with muskets it's all invisible stealth robot soldiers these days.

Don't go loosing any sleep over it now.

 

Regards Shaun. Colonialredneckrebelpsycosquatch

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Funny 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Alister_G said:

You know what Shaun, you would have to look very hard to find anything in this photo that tells you it's a model.

 

DSCF2214.JPG.ced164233ba6606800aaffed0309fbe1.JPG.d85a68de377e01b0c0dd5083cdeab119.JPG

 

 

Brilliant mate.

 

Al.

Hi Al.

Oh there's so much missing. I've got endless hours of work left to do to that view. Then I'll have to hire one of those huge Peterbilt semi trucks to hall it all up a mountain for an atmospheric photo shoot.:jester: Or I could just open the garage doors I guess.

 

Peterbilt semi truck.

semi-hits-tesla-model-3.jpg.226102e11cb160e994938c3f6295dd99.jpg

 

Thanks for the encouragement mate.

Regards Shaun

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Then I'll have to hire one of those huge Peterbilt semi trucks to hall it all up a mountain for an atmospheric photo shoot.

 

Yeah, I was going to say, sadly shipping it in a container to England is probably going a bit far... :)

 

I really think you should post that photo on the "How realistic" thread though, it's a worthy candidate.

 

Al.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

 

Yeah, I was going to say, sadly shipping it in a container to England is probably going a bit far... :)

 

I really think you should post that photo on the "How realistic" thread though, it's a worthy candidate.

 

Al.

If I ever become rich enough that's exactly what I'll do! Take it to Alley Pally etc. It does come apart! 

 

When it's finished no doubt I'll flood the "How Realistic" thread with images.

Wooden platforms, undergrowth, walls, fences, footbridge, signals, weathering and detailing need to be done first mate. I do however have the idea to remove the wooden buildings and scatter lots of weeds about to do an "after closure" photo session. That might be interesting! I'm actually contemplating buying a metro camel 3 car unit and derby light weight DMU to recreate the rail tour of 4th September 1964.;)

 

For now though I am really enjoying doing some scenic modeling  and will quickly move on to those wooden platforms, fences and platform walls! Also need to spend about an hour a day modeling willowherb and other weeds!!!

 

Regards Shaun

 

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Thank you Adrian.

They're not of any particular type but then again most people don't know one tree from the next. If I were to say they were maples though I might get away with that but do maples grow in West Yorkshire???

 

Regards Shaun

Yes my Mum and Dad had one in the garden when they moved in 

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Thank you Adrian.

They're not of any particular type but then again most people don't know one tree from the next. If I were to say they were maples though I might get away with that but do maples grow in West Yorkshire???

 

Regards Shaun

Hi,

 

we have sycamores, (acer pseudoplantanus)  which is a species of maple native to Central Europe and south-west Asia, and known as sycamore maple in the US.  It can be found all over the UK, both wild and in gardens and parks.  there is still a large one in the wee orchard of the house my grandparents had.

 

Roja

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Yes my Mum and Dad had one in the garden when they moved in 

 

4 hours ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

 

we have sycamores, (acer pseudoplantanus)  which is a species of maple native to Central Europe and south-west Asia, and known as sycamore maple in the US.  It can be found all over the UK, both wild and in gardens and parks.  there is still a large one in the wee orchard of the house my grandparents had.

 

Roja

Yes of course, Sycamores! Also to be found in the deans of the South Downs. Very common!

 

Thanks guys.

 

Regards Shaun 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

After a good tidy up I set about making the twin oaks. These two trees are on our regular dog walk and have been crying out to be modeled for quite some time. Ok, I know there the American black variety and am sure I’ll get away using a little modeling license.

1012927312_Twinoaks(1).JPG.906664819ba3468c5094a71e31765dd1.JPG

 

 

For these two rather specific trees I dug out some KM tree armatures I’ve been saving for something special. It took quite a while shaping and gluing them together. The Zap-a-Gap and some baking soda came in very handy. The trunks had about 12 mm lobbed off the bottom, a hole was drilled into which i glued a long pin.

2108210070_Twinoaks(2).JPG.cd1e1bd3512d2a9d84a83cef33d8acc5.JPG

 

 

Next I painted them using crafters acrylics. A base coat of raw umber followed by dry brushed grey and burnt umber went on first avoiding the last cm of the branch tips. I then mixed up some moss using forest moss green, raw umber, yellow ochre and a generous amount of baking soda to give it texture. This was daubed on with a stiff brush.

I also picked out a few dead branches in driftwood and grey. There’s also a fallen branch which I modeled from a dead lilac twig.

76854164_Twinoaks(3).JPG.9be3263fac0982066529a380479acde7.JPG

 

709599721_Twinoaks(4).JPG.a38af7a9b0d555b13046e850836697db.JPG

 

 

The branch tips have had the tacky super glue applied along with the dog bed stuffing .

A crow’s nest has been added but doubt it will be visible.

962992279_Twinoaks(5).JPG.26c741cea41396d687902755b5dbb744.JPG

 

Lastly I made a foliage mix from Noch medium green Laub, and Woodland Scenics light green course turf and fine turf green blend. The trees received a good blast of Aqua Net and the mix sprinkled on.

2017191081_Twinoaks(6).JPG.aaac7916e74712c17c0b443962b251da.JPG

 

1942796645_Twinoaks(8).JPG.97df7177e82b8708cc0d33f48da48deb.JPG

 

They're a scale 55' tall.

1633818052_Twinoaks(7).JPG.a2c6fa970dfd980e67cbecfada440dea.JPG

 

Squatch

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 09/05/2021 at 05:55, westerhamstation said:

Hi Shaun, trees grow fast in your neck of the woods. All the best Adrian.

Yes they need to! We have a bug plight that's killing firs, we lost three large ones last year which are now a fire danger.

 

Regards Shaun.

  • Friendly/supportive 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

While we're on the subject of loosing trees have you ever noticed that old photographs of the railways don't have any trees on the railway property. It's no wonder when consideration is made for the amount of timber required to construct all that permanent way. Sleepers, fences, buildings and in some cases platforms. As was the case at Queensbury. Quite why half of the platforms there were timber built is a bit of a mystery.

The Bradford-Keighley platforms were stone at the Bradford end and wooden at the Keighley end. The stone construction  seen here is actually the top of the viaduct.

1458848517_Woodenplatforms(2).jpg.0cc78cf3331d066f7dd383f27ab3dd74.jpg

 

The Keighley Halifax platforms were entirely of wooden construction. The bit halfway along is the top of the bridal tunnel.

1517847809_Woodenplatforms(1).jpg.5b4642e8cf3b662d12d095eeae75380e.jpg

 

My problem is how to model them. I made allowances for most of them when I built the base boards.

DSCF2288.JPG.57f8a6c7671f4d3be99864eed8d1cadf.JPG

 

Yesterday I ripped a good 40 feet of poplar off cuts up. 3mm x3mm for the posts and cross members, 1mm x 3mm for the beams and rails  and 1mm x 4mm for the decking.

DSCF2291.JPG.a3d0440b753a2c892d0a44fb6b074577.JPG

 

A start was made by gluing a few posts to one of the base boards but I quickly gave up and put my thinking cap on as this method was going to take a month of Sundays.

DSCF2287.JPG.403a9120434af1255ca074d45b44ad66.JPG

 

The new plan will involve a lot of masking tape!!!

DSCF2290.JPG.bdf29f060e05567f0c052c750b9ec005.JPG

 

17 lengths are cut in the miter block at once.

DSCF2289.JPG.64fa9c9f0866638794c457e3be892f9e.JPG

 

More on this later when I've acquired some suitable tape and made a jig.

 

Thought I'd already posted this. It's the twin oaks planted on the layout.

DSCF2286.JPG.bf4dd1ade54c0d7527f99d1c0e1fb17c.JPG

 

Squatch.

 

  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Better to build wooden platforms out of wood that plastic if you can.  I chickened out on my down shelter.

 

Did they keep trees away from the railway so that there were no, 'leaves on the line'?  The land around the lines nowadays is much more overgrown than in the 50s and 60s. 

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChrisN said:

Better to build wooden platforms out of wood that plastic if you can.  I chickened out on my down shelter.

 

Did they keep trees away from the railway so that there were no, 'leaves on the line'?  The land around the lines nowadays is much more overgrown than in the 50s and 60s. 

There's a considerable saving to be made. A good $50 at least. I'm fortunate in that that I have the skills to rip such small sections of wood.

 

That might have been the case. I'd hazard a guess and say they just clear cut everything!

 

Was working on the layout just now and would also hazard a guess about the reason why half of Queensburys platforms were wooden...

The Halfax Keighley side of the triangle was actually an embankment!!!

 

Regards Shaun

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Was working on the layout just now and would also hazard a guess about the reason why half of Queensburys platforms were wooden...

The Halfax Keighley side of the triangle was actually an embankment!!!

index_proxy.jpg.d9cd462bd26ceb985781ac2627edc9f0.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
Text
  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

While we're on the subject of loosing trees have you ever noticed that old photographs of the railways don't have any trees on the railway property. It's no wonder when consideration is made for the amount of timber required to construct all that permanent way. Sleepers, fences, buildings and in some cases platforms. As was the case at Queensbury. Quite why half of the platforms there were timber built is a bit of a mystery.

 

I would suspect that the trees were kept off railway property by the sparks thrown out from the engine chimneys.

Many areas of the modern railway have become "afforested" during the last fifty years that once were not.

Linesdie fires were quite common in steam days.

 

I thought that there was an ongoing litigation case about this in one of your relatively close neighbouring states (relative in US terms).

Trains reported that one of the Colorado NG lines (Toltec & Cumbres?) had started a fire which devasted a large area in a dry summer and was being sued for the fire fighting costs.

The railway had, I believe, bought a diesel to prevent a recurrence.

 

At one of the stations adjacent to a box that I used to work a copse of straggly weed like trees grew up behind the platform causing problems with leaf fall during the Autumn.

They were cut down. 

Within five years they were back again.

 

Re the wooden platforms.

I suspect that they were built on the embankments to reduce the weight on the earthworks.

The stone built ones would be easier to construct on the more stable aspects of the Queensbury site.

 

Ian T

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, ianathompson said:

 

I would suspect that the trees were kept off railway property by the sparks thrown out from the engine chimneys.

Many areas of the modern railway have become "afforested" during the last fifty years that once were not.

Linesdie fires were quite common in steam days.

 

I thought that there was an ongoing litigation case about this in one of your relatively close neighbouring states (relative in US terms).

Trains reported that one of the Colorado NG lines (Toltec & Cumbres?) had started a fire which devasted a large area in a dry summer and was being sued for the fire fighting costs.

The railway had, I believe, bought a diesel to prevent a recurrence.

 

At one of the stations adjacent to a box that I used to work a copse of straggly weed like trees grew up behind the platform causing problems with leaf fall during the Autumn.

They were cut down. 

Within five years they were back again.

 

Re the wooden platforms.

I suspect that they were built on the embankments to reduce the weight on the earthworks.

The stone built ones would be easier to construct on the more stable aspects of the Queensbury site.

 

Ian T

Hi Ian.

Thanks for the input and welcome to the thread!

 

We can be happy over here that steam trains have been done away with under the present climate/drought situation.

 

From studying photographs of Queensbury I have noticed that the posts holding up the rear of the platforms seem to be quite a bit longer than those adjacent to the rail! I would imagine that many more tonnes of earth would have had to have been moved to support stone platforms. 

All verY interesting stuff.

 

Regards Shaun.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Much progress made this afternoon.

 

Firstly I realised that the ground level needed raising the thickness of the cork underlay if this is going to look right. More cork was cut to fit and hot glued into place.

1740987376_woodenplatforms(1).JPG.11e189cd54707da8f020f496be8ea947.JPG

 

That done I had to redo the drawing to compensate.

1030746493_woodenplatforms(2).JPG.a16d27915a4e1c9ba657c9d352efae0a.JPG

 

I then took a few measurements and calculations to draw up a cutting list of parts.

1109730450_woodenplatforms(3).JPG.e5904ba122d8f3e1f3c4d46dbaf943cf.JPG

 

Cut all the posts...1454153221_woodenplatforms(4).JPG.201db552e8364b07471fe1b96521831c.JPG

 

Made the assembly jig and did a test run.

231229658_woodenplatforms(5).JPG.bc810154cdd7f9f61bd3979fba86e05d.JPG

 

Then with a helping hand from Mrs.S. Stuck all the 4mmx1mm decking to a 2" wide piece of masking tape and cut no less than 800 planks 50 at a time.

1605575919_woodenplatforms(6).JPG.e2e04e1e02f9efa16c3751d195ca6dc9.JPG

1141028692_woodenplatforms(7).JPG.3d483a110d79cd229f7ddfbf92997c1a.JPG

 

More tomorrow. Squatch

 

 

 

 

  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the likes chaps.:)

 

At bit more work on this yesterday.

To make all the diagonal cross members all the 2.5mm square strip was sandwiched between two lengths of wide tape for cutting on the table saw using the miter guide.

DSCF2305.JPG.a40cabac1ad8f077ab69b3fd29620837.JPG

 

After checking it a few times I still managed to get the angle a bit off so now have to gently file some of the angles to a good fit. I say some because not all the posts are exactly the same!

 

Having got the assembly time down to about 3 minutes each they line up relatively fast. One trick is to dust the assembly jig with baking soda so that the any glue squeeze out wont stick the assembly to the jig!

DSCF2308.JPG.35073d3f83844cc5d327a33200f9140b.JPG

 

They do look quite impressive when lined up on the bench!

DSCF2307.JPG.d6cd0fa0d8ac2a809bacd195b393d343.JPG

 

DSCF2306.JPG.7f829415fbf00edcb3c3398b5d481abb.JPG

 

 

Squatch.

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we  are all  a bit mad  Al.   We slave away building  baseboards, then cover up our work  with coloured grit or floc.  We.lay track carefully then watch our trains falling off.

It would be so much easier to sit in a nice warm car with a picnic, by the side of a railway line and watch full sized trains go by.

Derek

  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Cor!

 

Fancy doing a bit of limestone walling next?

 

He's mad I tell you... MAD!!  :tease:

 

Al.

Walling is Jeffs domain! I don't know about him but I'll take :tease:that as a compliment:D 

41 minutes ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

I think we  are all  a bit mad  Al.   We slave away building  baseboards, then cover up our work  with coloured grit or floc.  We.lay track carefully then watch our trains falling off.

It would be so much easier to sit in a nice warm car with a picnic, by the side of a railway line and watch full sized trains go by.

Derek

Funny, I was just thinking that. Must be mad to sit for hours fettling away a beautiful afternoon in the garage!

 

It's whatever floats your boat so they say.

 

Last time I sat in my truck waiting for the train to trundle across the trestle at Gold Hill it never came! I started getting ideas about building a model of the bridges at Gold Hill and then a layout to put them on and exhibiting it at the local show..... so I left!!

222671-L.jpg.c5d76cae6b55178bc7c3e0788aff7fac.jpg

 

 

Different world over here. On the same line at Rogue River there is a crossing where the railroad cuts along between the town and Interstate 5. The lights were flashing red but the barriers weren't down so every body was just running the red lights because the engineer of the train was getting his coffee from the coffee caboose!

2011-03-06-rouge-express-coffee_MG_6657.jpg.626fc2b58d04c37b2362c0bd50952c6b.jpg

 

867171783_RogueRiverexit..jpg.5ca59099bcf78a098a118c4dab1be98b.jpg

 

Regards Shaun

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Sasquatch changed the title to Grim-up-North; Goathland & Queensbury. Garage remodel.
  • Sasquatch changed the title to Grim-up-North; Goathland & Queensbury. Castle junction.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...