New West Midlands Franchise - Standing Room Only?

Do we know which services fall into which "section" yet? I'd have thought that the NUN-COV(-LMS!) would be part of the West Mids section, together with the COV-WVH services?

At a guess everything, currently LM, in and out of Snow Hill will become West Midlands Trains together with Cross City, Walsall/Rugeley, Wolverhampton locals, Shrewsbury locals and Hereford via Bromsgrove locals. 

Everything else becomes LNW including the existing LM Coventry/Euston services and the Liverpool services.

In theory the New St - International shuttles should become West Midlands but often they use 350s on those trains and on Walsall services but I would expect those units to go into the LNW livery unless they start splitting the fleet.

So expect to see destination boards and announcements referring to West Midlands Trains around Birmingham and LNW stock turning up.

The Coventry local service hasn't been a self contained service for a few years now, all those local stations are served two or three times an hour by trains that originate and terminate at Euston and I would expect those trains to be part of LNW.

The new "LNW" livery shows a yellow area the full height of the gangway door. Bearing in mind that this has "H & S Implications" does anyone know why the present 350 fleet varies between half height and full height? I thought I'd cracket the logic 'til the 350/3s turned up...

Doesn't the yellow (where it's needed) have to have a certain surface area? I think that was the reason why D172 had an odd shaped yellow panel when it was on the main line - the original BR SYP as applied to peaks was non-compliant to modern standards, though I notice that it did run on the main line with the BR pattern SYP as well.

450s and lots of 350s don't have a full yellow door, so having the top half another colour must be permissible, but also requires a second colour to be applied in the factory. It's compliant with either pattern, so having it completely yellow saves 75p.

That's my speculation anyhow.

Edited by Zomboid

• RMweb Gold

Here's the new Standards that now apply to rolling stock on Network Rail infrastructure the new transpennine livery on the class 68's have dispensed with a yellow panel altogether.

https://www.rssb.co.uk/Pages/visibility-of-trains-what-is-changing.aspx

Cheers 

Colin 

P.S. I think the livery is Bl**dy awful If this is the final livery I'm dreading the new uniform.

• RMweb Gold

From memory 350's have never been used on the shuttles and they never will be the acceleration on them really knocks the timings and thanks for mentioning the shuttles I've got an evening of them on tomorrow night.

It's a shame we can't keep the 323 fleet they're excellent from a drivers point of view no computers to go wrong and the view from a cab is great unlike a 350 the acceleration on the 323 can out run a 350 and a pendolino I've heard from a good source that when they did there fault free mileage accumulation runs on the Trent valley the speed wasn't restricted and speeds had been reported of 120mph before they limited them to 90mph.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

From memory 350's have never been used on the shuttles and they never will be the acceleration on them really knocks the timings and thanks for mentioning the shuttles I've got an evening of them on tomorrow night.

It's a shame we can't keep the 323 fleet they're excellent from a drivers point of view no computers to go wrong and the view from a cab is great unlike a 350 the acceleration on the 323 can out run a 350 and a pendolino I've heard from a good source that when they did there fault free mileage accumulation runs on the Trent valley the speed wasn't restricted and speeds had been reported of 120mph before they limited them to 90mph.

Cheers

Colin

I've seen them during the middle of the day and they certainly turn up at Walsall.

One of the class 350 Euston services per hour does have a similar stopping pattern (3 stops) between New St and International, as the shuttles, but they are four car units, verses three car for the class 323, which probably accounts for them being slightly slower off the mark, despite them having more power overall.

From a passenger perspective, I have used the class 350s quite often to Euston, mainly from Nuneaton, and rather like them, mind you, they do that run with only two stops.

From memory Brum to Coventry has been somewhat spoiled over the years for new units, they had brand new class 310s, replaced by brand new class 317, brand new class 321, brand new class 323 and now the class 350s from new and I believe LNW are even planning to replace some of these.

Can't be many lines that have been so gifted.

When they all get stuck at the foot of the Lickey and can't get back up again!  :lol:

Everything has got stuck on Lickey at some time or another, though I did recently overhear a couple of drivers questioning their Lickey climbing ability.

I believe they can struggle a bit during the leaf fall season.

• Like 1

I thought of a sure-fire way to find details of the routes allocated between the two new lines, but I was disappointed.  Curiously, NRES shows trains as "operated by London Midland" up to  the last date, 21st January, available. The new franchise is not far into the future, but the basics don't seem to have been thought through yet.

On the assumption that the change of franchise is overnight Sat/Sun 9/10th December there is also an oddity. As far as I can make out, the last Saturday night workings shown in printed timetables will be the 5 Euston departures at 02.00 (Sunday) , all buses to Milton Keynes  each with different stopping patterns, the last of which arrives at Milton Keynes at 05.20. The first Sunday morning service in the published   timetable that I can find is the 06.20 bus, Northampton -  Milton Keynes. I think that these buses are all organised by Network Rail to allow for engineering work.

• RMweb Premium

An opportunity to improve is for them to try and get Siemens to do something about the ride quality of the 350s. Some of them are appalling. The one I took to London this morning was dreadful with violent motion to the point I can't help thinking that the unit was defective. And it seems to be getting worse.

An opportunity to improve is for them to try and get Siemens to do something about the ride quality of the 350s. Some of them are appalling. The one I took to London this morning was dreadful with violent motion to the point I can't help thinking that the unit was defective. And it seems to be getting worse.

The 350/2s have always felt the worst. They're being taken off lease iirc though? which should help.

• RMweb Premium

No matter how bad the 350 was this morning, the 319 tonight was worse. I'm not sure I've ever been on an EMU in such ill health, it was making horrible noises and lurching along with a horrible surging motion with the carriage feeling like it was about to fall apart. On the other hand, since I was running two and a half hours late after another WCML collapse I was just happy to be on a train home with fingers crossed that it'd make it to my stop.

National Rail Enquiries were reporting last night 'Emergency Services dealing with an incident between Watford Jc and Milton Keynes', so possibly, and sadly, another fatality ?

BTW, that form of words (Emergency Services dealing etc) was for a time mandated to be used by the rail industry rather than person struck by a train at wherever, the reason being that ghouls were attracted to the location, however this was rescinded and such incidents should now be described as a person struck but the exact location is not stated, instead two locations (some distance) either side are used.  

We were told Bletchley, there was another down Taunton way as well last night, it's been a bad few weeks recently.

Regarding the whereabouts the info is readily available online virtually straight away, I've been told details by passengers even before I've been updated by Control. That's one reason the instructions were changed... We had passengers telling everyone exactly what was going on which made rather a mockery of the old instructions on what to say...

Edited by Hobby

I was on the 1713 & we were also told Bletchley.

Why did they cancel trains to Tring then? With its terminating platform, Tring is an ideal place to turn trains around. I am not referring to all Virgin services, but just the trains which should have stopped at Tring anyway. There was no need to cancel these & there were loads of trains in Euston which could not have got to their destination (Northampton, Birmingham, Crewe) which could have been used so LM should be fined heavily for messing travellers to Hemel, Tring etc about unnecessarily.

They have done this before when there was a cow on the line in Milton Keynes (maybe a concrete one?). I had my bike with me at the time & would have been quite happy to try cycling back to MK from Tring.

• RMweb Premium

The WCML has had a dreadful few weeks, I think this is the sixth time I've been caught up in major disruption in as many weeks. And a friend who came up to see us from London on Sunday ended up staying with us a few hours longer because the line was up the spout on Sunday evening. I don't blame Virgin or London Midland for the disruption as in most cases the cause is beyond their control, but some of their handling of these incidents leaves much to be desired and I had a nightmare journey a couple of weeks ago when I followed guidance to go to Luton parkway where replacement buses were provided only to find out nobody knew anything about replacement buses as none had been seen for four hours and was advised to go up to the airport and use the Stagecoach bus service to get home. Last night they were advising passengers for MK and Rugby to use the MML out of Paddington but unless you take an awful long loop around to the North and come back South the route to MK is via the Marston Vale line, half of which services are operated by a single car class 153. I made that mistake once to find 100's trying to cram into a single coach at Bedford and learnt a lesson not to consider that route as an alternative. Their best contingency plan for passengers to MK is probably to do what many of their staff do often advise - clear off to get a meal or do something in London for a few hours and come back when trains are running again.