Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

Yes I had the DCC Concepts Zen handy so fitted that. The capacitors are flat in a row. I have suggested to them that if they arranged them in a 2 X 3 block they would be a lot easier to fit in the bunkers of tank locos.

• Like 1

My H arrived today, what a stunning little model she is. Half an hour in each direction, and she is so smooth straight out of the box!

41030260532_da067eb521_h.jpg

26201584757_365167273b_h.jpg

41030263912_85cc073c09_h.jpg

Will post some more photos after the weekend!

• Like 12

Sorry for the double post, But this is the state of play for my H, just over 24 hours later.

41053020822_d89493ab0d_b.jpg

Anyone have suitable number suggestions? Will post future updates on it on my workbench topic (link in sig)

Wonder if this is one of the first ones/the first one in the world to be repainted?

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 4

Sorry for the double post, But this is the state of play for my H, just over 24 hours later.

41053020822_d89493ab0d_b.jpg

Anyone have suitable number suggestions? Will post future updates on it on my workbench topic (link in sig)

Wonder if this is one of the first ones/the first one in the world the be repainted?

Love that! When Hornby inevitably announce a black one I'll have one for sure!  

1305 perhaps? I duno the technicalities of configurations  http://www.semgonline.com/steam/pics/mm_1305.jpg

Had a re-shuffle in the display cabinet this morning and I have put three 0-4-4 passenger tanks together, interestingly the power classifications from left to right are 2P, 1P & 0P: -

post-3433-0-11940600-1522588956_thumb.jpg

Edited by gz3xzf
  • Like 4

Love that! When Hornby inevitably announce a black one I'll have one for sure!  

1305 perhaps? I duno the technicalities of configurations  http://www.semgonline.com/steam/pics/mm_1305.jpgse

Repaints were plain black from March 1941 so I imagine most were eventually in this livery.  But specific examples known to me are 1239, the aforementioned 1305 and also 1319 on the semg site.

Chris KT

• Like 1

Repaints were plain black from March 1941 so I imagine most were eventually in this livery.  But specific examples known to me are 1239, the aforementioned 1305 and also 1319 on the semg site.

Chris KT

I think 1324 was the only one to last into BR days in Maunsell livery ( according to the old Livery Register ) so all others would have been black ............... whether any "sunshine" was gleaming through the layers of wartime grot varied from loco to loco, no doubt !

I think 1324 was the only one to last into BR days in Maunsell livery ( according to the old Livery Register ) so all others would have been black ............... whether any "sunshine" was gleaming through the layers of wartime grot varied from loco to loco, no doubt !

I'm sure someone said in this thread that the next one in sequence, (1325?) did also. 

I think 1519 is a potential re-number. Had the larger buffers - unless anyone has any other info to the contrary

I'm sure someone said in this thread that the next one in sequence, (1325?) did also. 

I think 1519 is a potential re-number. Had the larger buffers - unless anyone has any other info to the contrary

Yep ! .... 1325 did, indeed last into BR days in Maunsell livery - but I'm afraid you fell for my trickery as it's a 'P' ! ( Off topic but  -  Hattons 1555 is correctly shown in Maunsell black that it carried to April '48 - but their A325 is in the earlier green though it lasted in Maunsell black longer than 1555.)

Beware large ( Maunsell ) buffers on Wainwright locos - or at least check your dates carefully : many gained these ( not necessarily at both ends ) in BR days.

On the note of later modifications, I wonder if Hornby will be fitting the wider, shorter chimney most of the class carried in their final years? The chimney as currently modelled was being phased out during the fifties, most by 1959 had the wider type as carried by 31263 when finally withdrawn.  The chimney currently carried by (31)263(and faithfully replicated by Hornby) was, I believe, a replacement earlier pattern fitted circa 1979.

For those of us modelling this fine class in their final years, the later-type chimney is a must for most of the class.

On a different note, I would dare to suggest that the current model is perhaps Hornby's finest and one of the very best RTR available today.

• RMweb Gold

My 3 are fine on a rolling road. Dead slow they are fine as well, but when speeded up, they all have a to and throw movement, enough to eventually cause the birdcages behind them to uncouple.

I have not figured out why they do this. Maybe the wheels are tad off centre causing mini jumps, maybe a balancing of the wheels and motion combined with the rather light nature of the model.

I bought a SR liveried Wainwright H and an SECR-livery version too--of the two, the SECR one is very quiet and smooth-running, though the rear wheel sort of intermittently skates along the rail top rather than turning and making full contact with the rail-head, some fine-tuning required there--however, the SR version is behaving badly, with the 'to and fro' movement described above, noticeably so, and with a rise and fall in the sound of the motor. Any thought folks on what the likely cause of this is?

I shall keep running-in to see if that helps smooths things a bit, and I have also lightly oiled the loco, but as well as the odd movement there is a feint smell emanating too, not burning I hope...

If I can't see some improvement soon I shall be tempted to return the SR loco to the retailer to see if it can be exchanged--or is this 'to and fro' movement a wide occurrence with this particular model?

all the best,

Keith

I notice that Hattons are now showing R3512, the Pull-Push pack, as arriving May-June. Quite a slippage from the original November 2017. Glad I bought the R3539 single loco now.  Judging by the retailers keeping to their original pricing, they're not expecting it any time soon, either.

Sorry if covered before, but a few minutes into tonight's running session, my SECR H was giving off a rather ominous smell. After stopping, it became clear that the loco was very warm around the smokebox/front of boiler.

Flat track, set of birdcages only. BR H running in the other direction with no such issue.

Has anyone else experienced this? SECR C class now deputising!

Sorry if covered before, but a few minutes into tonight's running session, my SECR H was giving off a rather ominous smell. After stopping, it became clear that the loco was very warm around the smokebox/front of boiler.

Flat track, set of birdcages only. BR H running in the other direction with no such issue.

Has anyone else experienced this? SECR C class now deputising!

Yes. I sent it back to Hornby's repair department. They replaced the motor and refunded my postage

After stopping, it became clear that the loco was very warm around the smokebox/front of boiler.

I wonder if its the flywheel hitting something inside the smokebox, IIRC some of the first SECR ones had this issue.

Might be something else entirely though, does it draw significantly more current than other locos?

I wonder if its the flywheel hitting something inside the smokebox, IIRC some of the first SECR ones had this issue.

Might be something else entirely though, does it draw significantly more current than other locos?

Could try blackening the flywheel with permanent marker and see if any 'rings' appear when its run. The motor mount was reluctant to fit in the boiler when reassembling mine - tuned out the boiler was ever so slightly out of place and judicious use of a big flat file has cured it.

That's a good suggestion, might be worth doing if he plans to assess the problem before returning it.

I need to have another look at my H, the rear drivers aren't making full contact with the rail. This means It can barely manage two LSWR rebuild around a fairly decent corner, without slowing to a near dead halt. It was out-pulled by the P class, which could manage 3 LSWR rebuilds, a PMV and 2 Maunsells with no trouble,

39727134590_d0a6ddfa4d_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

H class not old enough to smoke ?

I gave my Wainwright liveried H class its first showing last Saturday on my Hawkhurst layout at the West Essex Model Rail Show.

It was running nice and smoothly with a three coach set and completed its first run very well, coming into the station running around its train and then running back to the fiddle yard.

On its second run out however, when running out onto the layout it started to smoke very convincingly from the chimney. Obviously seeing that all was not well and suspecting that the smoke was coming from the motor, I stopped the train and removed the loco, replacing it with the Southern liveried one which I also had with me. The latter ran without incident for the rest of the weekend.

It was most fortunate that standing right in front of the layout when this happened was our local trader who was also an exhibitor at the show and the one I had bought the loco from. He witnessed the whole thing was in fact the first person to notice it happening.

The loco is now being returned to Hornby for rectification and it will be interesting to see what they say about it.

Has anybody else had the same problem ?

RB

I received my pre-ordered BR late crest 31518 on release and put a Hattons 8-pin direct chip in it, ran it around the track for a few minutes and have not really touched it till a week ago. Unfortunately, it is now behaving erratically, setting off in a controlled manner, but then after a few seconds, refusing to accelerate beyong mid speed even up to speed step 28. It is the same in both directions with or without the body. It also takes a few seconds to stop after the throttle returns to zero on my Powercab. There is also a faint buzzing sound. All pickups are working well and it is properly lubed, though I haven’t been into the gear tower.

Hattons suggest that it may be because it is not running a Hornby chip, which I don’t have. So, can anyone suggest any cv changes that could help with the Hattons chip, or should I send it back? I love the engine and given the apparent lack of exchange stock and the fact that I am abroad, I would rather try a fix if it possible.

I gave my Wainwright liveried H class its first showing last Saturday on my Hawkhurst layout at the West Essex Model Rail Show.

It was running nice and smoothly with a three coach set and completed its first run very well, coming into the station running around its train and then running back to the fiddle yard.

On its second run out however, when running out onto the layout it started to smoke very convincingly from the chimney. Obviously seeing that all was not well and suspecting that the smoke was coming from the motor, I stopped the train and removed the loco, replacing it with the Southern liveried one which I also had with me. The latter ran without incident for the rest of the weekend.

My SECR H class loco ran hot. I sent it back to Hornby's repair department. Hornby replaced the motor under the guarantee and refunded my postage. If you look back towards the beginning of this topic you will see that someone else had the same problem of smoke coming from the motor of an SECR H class. I have not had any problems with my Southern and British Railways late crest H class locomotives so perhaps Hornby have sorted the problem out as those came out later than the SECR version.

It was most fortunate that standing right in front of the layout when this happened was our local trader who was also an exhibitor at the show and the one I had bought the loco from. He witnessed the whole thing was in fact the first person to notice it happening.

The loco is now being returned to Hornby for rectification and it will be interesting to see what they say about it.

RB

I received my pre-ordered BR late crest 31518 on release and put a Hattons 8-pin direct chip in it, ran it around the track for a few minutes and have not really touched it till a week ago. Unfortunately, it is now behaving erratically, setting off in a controlled manner, but then after a few seconds, refusing to accelerate beyong mid speed even up to speed step 28. It is the same in both directions with or without the body. It also takes a few seconds to stop after the throttle returns to zero on my Powercab. There is also a faint buzzing sound. All pickups are working well and it is properly lubed, though I haven’t been into the gear tower.

Hattons suggest that it may be because it is not running a Hornby chip, which I don’t have. So, can anyone suggest any cv changes that could help with the Hattons chip, or should I send it back? I love the engine and given the apparent lack of exchange stock and the fact that I am abroad, I would rather try a fix if it possible.

Hi Nconsistent, I have in the past had this sort of behaviour from a new chip fitted in a loco and I have reset the decoder to factory defaults. If this possible for the decoder type and how to do this may be listed in the decoders full instruction sheet, the NMRA have a document on the subject here.

Hope this is helpful.

RB

Yes,

I had the same problem with mine. I was running it in on the rolling road. After about 1/2 hour in each direction I increased the voltage a little...POW. Smoke.

I opened the locomotive to see what was going on. No signs of burning on the insulation of the armature. So then I removed and cleaned the brushes, and cleaned the commutator with isopropyl alchohol. There was a LOT of oil on the commutator. I suspect the loco was over-oiled at the factory.

It now runs sweetly and without smoke. 

Alan

Hi Nconsistent, I have in the past had this sort of behaviour from a new chip fitted in a loco and I have reset the decoder to factory defaults. If this possible for the decoder type and how to do this may be listed in the decoders full instruction sheet, the NMRA have a document on the subject here.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you Bryan, I will try give it a go.